Wine

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Jane, great point(s)!!! Those would be 'High Functioning Drinkers' (or alcoholics). I was one of those until I was not one of those, which is when I had to stop drinking.

That's a great way to put it. My father was also one of those until he wasn't one of those. Unfortunately, he didn't stop drinking at that point. I'm glad it was different for you.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I drank wine just about daily when I was losing weight. As long as I logged the calories and stayed in a deficit, I lost weight.

The only thing to look out for is if it is crowding out other things that you need -- if your calorie goal is low, it can sometimes be a challenge to meet your nutritional goals and drink regularly.

Exactly this.

I had a glass of wine pretty much every night while losing. It's ~125 cals for a 5 oz pour. Not too hard to work in especially if one isn't aiming for minimum calorie levels. Now that I'm in maintenance I can usually fit in 2 glasses, sometimes more.

As a busy working mom like you OP, I changed my habit from having a glass while cooking, a glass with dinner, and a glass or two after dinner like I did before starting to lose weight with MFP. I started waiting till after I got the kids into bed and finally sat down for the night, which really only affords me time for one or two glasses before I need to hit the hay anyway.

I don't think she was advocating drinking a bottle of wine daily? I don't know many people who would advise that :/

WTF? Where are you seeing either PP talking about drinking a bottle of wine?

glass.jpg

If your wine glasses are that big, I recommend a straw. It seems safer.

OP, I don't drink often anymore, but I would prefer to spend discretionary calories on ice cream or cookies. There is nothing wrong with fitting wine into your daily intake. It's easier to do if you have realistic expectations about not losing too fast.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have about a glass or two a week, personally. I love wine but would rather get my calories elsewhere.
  • barni71
    barni71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I drank at least 2 bottles of wine a week while dieting and managed to get down to 123 lbs just before Christmas (back to 127 now :( )
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    karajhol wrote: »
    I do most things very well, better than most. But wine is my Achilles heel and it appears to be the reason I'm having trouble with my weight. I'm 5'6" 155 lbs., would prefer to be at 145 lbs. i do not want to cut my alcohol calories.
    I make a ton of money. I am a 4.0 doctoral student. I am a hell of a mom and wife. I just cannot, and do not want to, kick the nightly wine habit. I was raised this way, as was my mother and her mother before that.

Anybody else going through this?

Buy good tasting, lower calorie wines and enjoy as you log your calories and meet your goals.

31851744501_1e5ebd2f62_c.jpgPrint

This blog explains how to do that quite well...

http://www.shape.com/blogs/fit-foodies/best-wines-your-waistline

My wife and I love to drink Austrian and Italian white wines which we mix with carbonated water (works great in the warmer months) and makes you "feel" like you had more than you actually did since you are mixing bubbly water in with the wine.
  • angelaypolite
    angelaypolite Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't drink daily anymore (I still love my wine tho)...

From The Zero Belly Diet:
    Alcohol is particularly bad for your weight because it’s a toxin. Your body mobilizes to burn off the calories in alcohol as quickly as possible—ignoring any other calories that might have come along with it. So whether it’s wine and cheese or beer and wings, the body metabolizes the drink while shoving more of the accompanying food calories into fat cells.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You had me at wine.

Calculate it into your calories for the day and enjoy.
  • tennileb
    Options

Alcohol is particularly bad for your weight because it’s a toxin. Your body mobilizes to burn off the calories in alcohol as quickly as possible—ignoring any other calories that might have come along with it. So whether it’s wine and cheese or beer and wings, the body metabolizes the drink while shoving more of the accompanying food calories into fat cells.

I'd be Intersted in reading how they tested this? Sounds unlikely (sorry).

Too much alcohol for me causes (allows) ME to shove aside healthy choices and over indulge.
  • tennileb
    Options
    I have to limit wine because like everything it has calories, and some days it doesn't fit in my calorie goal
  • angelaypolite
    Options
    tennileb wrote: »

Too much alcohol for me causes (allows) ME to shove aside healthy choices and over indulge.

Yeah, this too!!
  • angelaypolite
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I have great news for you! That's a lot of hooey. Your body doesn't select certain foods or certain calories to store while processing others. If you choose to drink wine while maintaining an overall calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

So cheers!

Cheers! :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

All of this is hokum, I'm afraid. :)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

The body will actually deal with alcohol before anything else. That being said, if you are in a deficit, you will still lose weight. I'm living proof of that :).
  • tennileb
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

The body will actually deal with alcohol before anything else. That being said, if you are in a deficit, you will still lose weight. I'm living proof of that :).

I'd love to read scientifically valid research on that , not being snarky, I like to chalange the knowledge I have with valid evidence ( a book is not evidence unless backed by real reasearch) . I've read a few small studies but with sample groups of 10 people they are not adequate.

Eat at a deficit , weight goes down.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

This is why I had to cut alcohol out, too. Find what works for you, OP.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

The body will actually deal with alcohol before anything else.

Can't imagine how the body would do that.

Say you've had three slices of pizza and a couple of beers. It's all sloshing around together in your stomach. How would your body say, "Okay guys, there's alcohol here! Stop digesting that double cheese pepperoni and deal with the booze, stat!" ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'd love to read scientifically valid research on that , not being snarky, I like to chalange the knowledge I have with valid evidence ( a book is not evidence unless backed by real reasearch) . I've read a few small studies but with sample groups of 10 people they are not adequate.

Martin Berkhan wrote a pretty detailed article about it (backed by research) at leangains.com. Worth a read, as he explains at least some of the metabolic process involved: http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

[ETA:] Here's one of the studies he linked: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11115785
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I'm not being snarky either. There's lots of info out there, so feel free to look it up. The body prioritizes alcohol metabolism over other stuff. But I already said that if you are in a deficit, you won't gain.