Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    tennileb wrote: »
    This is why I don't drink daily anymore (I still love my wine tho)...

From The Zero Belly Diet:
    Alcohol is particularly bad for your weight because it’s a toxin. Your body mobilizes to burn off the calories in alcohol as quickly as possible—ignoring any other calories that might have come along with it. So whether it’s wine and cheese or beer and wings, the body metabolizes the drink while shoving more of the accompanying food calories into fat cells.

I'd be Intersted in reading how they tested this? Sounds unlikely (sorry).

Too much alcohol for me causes (allows) ME to shove aside healthy choices and over indulge.

The body will actually deal with alcohol before anything else. That being said, if you are in a deficit, you will still lose weight. I'm living proof of that :).

I'd love to read scientifically valid research on that , not being snarky, I like to chalange the knowledge I have with valid evidence ( a book is not evidence unless backed by real reasearch) . I've read a few small studies but with sample groups of 10 people they are not adequate.

Eat at a deficit , weight goes down.

I'm not being snarky either. There's lots of info out there, so feel free to look it up. The body prioritizes alcohol metabolism over other stuff. But I already said that if you are in a deficit, you won't gain.

This is true and the links @AnvilHead posted above support that.
  • youmeandtheseaphotography
    youmeandtheseaphotography Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I hear ya sista, I love having a few glasses of wine over dinner/evening with my hubby. While cooking supper, eating supper or winding down in the evening. It's not something that I am willing to give up, so I log the calories, the good, the bad and the ugly. It is what it is. :)
  • angelaypolite
    angelaypolite Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't drink daily anymore (I still love my wine tho)...

From The Zero Belly Diet:
    Alcohol is particularly bad for your weight because it’s a toxin. Your body mobilizes to burn off the calories in alcohol as quickly as possible—ignoring any other calories that might have come along with it. So whether it’s wine and cheese or beer and wings, the body metabolizes the drink while shoving more of the accompanying food calories into fat cells.

I'd be Intersted in reading how they tested this? Sounds unlikely (sorry).

Too much alcohol for me causes (allows) ME to shove aside healthy choices and over indulge.

The body will actually deal with alcohol before anything else. That being said, if you are in a deficit, you will still lose weight. I'm living proof of that :).

I'd love to read scientifically valid research on that , not being snarky, I like to chalange the knowledge I have with valid evidence ( a book is not evidence unless backed by real reasearch) . I've read a few small studies but with sample groups of 10 people they are not adequate.

Eat at a deficit , weight goes down.

I'm not being snarky either. There's lots of info out there, so feel free to look it up. The body prioritizes alcohol metabolism over other stuff. But I already said that if you are in a deficit, you won't gain.

THIS!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    As I make my own wine, it ends up being cheaper than pop at a couple of bucks a bottle. Pretty decent stuff too. Yeah, it's a problem with the weight loss and I'm definatley drinking less, but I still fit in a glass most days.

BTW, a bottle on a Friday night was never a problem. No sulphites so it wasn't a problem the next day either.
  • linda_ann_57
    linda_ann_57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work hard at taking care of my business everyday... then enjoy wine afterwards... it is a reward.
    Be at peace in mind & spirit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, it depends on how much you are drinking and how much patience you have. You are already at a healthy weight, and sometimes when you are trying to lose that last little bit, you don't have many calories to work with and somethings got to give.

I will be trying to shake off an extra 5 lbs once the weather warms up, and to do that my calorie goal will be 1500. My nice glass of wine or bottle of beer every night right now is around 150 cals. Once I lower to 1500, I'm gonna need those calories for food most of the time, so will probably have to cut back to a couple of drinks a week. Ultimately it's up to you to decide if your wine fits, or if it's worth temporarily cutting back.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I generally have a glass of wine in the evenings and fit the calories in. I measure out 5 oz (since I don't have a good eye for portions) and enjoy it slowly. For me, one glass doesn't lead to craving or unplanned eating, or the urge to drink more, so I consider it a trade off for whatever calories I might have spent on dessert. :) My take is if you can fit it into your calories and don't mind cutting back on something else to make room, don't feel you have to deprive yourself. With just 10 lbs to lose it's going to be a slower journey anyway, why make it harder than it has to be by depriving yourself for no other reason than you think you should.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me to send my husband to go get wine last night and fit it into my calories for the day.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Good blog post here on calories in wine: http://www.shape.com/blogs/fit-foodies/best-wines-your-waistline

Mix in sparkling water with white wines (great in the warmer months) as you end up drinking less wine while still enjoying it.

Some lighter, lower calorie wines I like are Grüner Veltliner white wines from Austria, and Pinot Grigio wines from Italy. But I'll drink it all (wine that is) and just account for the calories.
  • flowerpainter2015
    Options
    I find I drink wine because I am sore or stressed. I've found I like wine but it can be replaced with a cold glass of ice water. Some times I put lemon or lime in it. Another way I compensate is to makes glass of soda water with a teaspoon of apple vinegar, lemon or lime juice and a small packet of organic stevia. It tastes like a Tom Collins and doesn't have the alcohol or calories.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I managed to lose 50lbs whilst not even counting my wine. Some nights just a glass, some nights a bottle and a couple of nights none at all. I figured surely just eating much less would make me lose weight and it did. But iv been stuck for months and still have 17lbs to go so my new years resolution is to either quit it altogether or count it into my calories. Fitting a whole bottle (600 cals) into my already measly calorie allowance in a,day is gonna,b difficult so if I dont quit altogether ill need to limit it to one glass. I love wine,but not enough to go to bed hungry :-)-
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Keep trying to add people on this convo and Am unsuccessful.. wino is me and I have lost 27 pounds. If you know how to add then add me. Frustrated more from this app than anything else this weekend
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Keep trying to add people on this convo and Am unsuccessful.. wino is me and I have lost 27 pounds. If you know how to add then add me. Frustrated more from this app than anything else this weekend

HUH??
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My sister nearly got diabetes from drinking wine. I think sometimes people forget it is a sugary drink.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Maybe she was drinking "Mad Dog 20/20" aka MD 20/20.....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My sister nearly got diabetes from drinking wine. I think sometimes people forget it is a sugary drink.

Most wine is low in residual sugars.

Also, that's not how diabetes works.

And what WinoGelato said.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

First, what does "nearly got diabetes" mean? Second, Sugar doesn't cause diabetes and even if it did, how would one pin the responsibility on wine, which actually is fairly low in sugars, compared to all the other foods/drinks we consume with both natural and added sugar.
    Third, if she was drinking that much wine that she thought it "nearly caused her to get diabetes" I would be more concerned about her liver than anything else.

Heavy drinking can mess up your pancreas which is known to contribute to development of diabetes.

Too much alcohol can cause chronic inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), which can impair its ability to secrete insulin, ultimately leading to diabetes.

It could be that her sister drank heavily for a long period of time, but not long enough (I've read 10 years or more) to develop pancreatitis to develop diabetes. For women 2 - 3 glasses of wine a day, and for men 3 - 4 glasses per day can lead to some serious issues.

In a discussion such as we are having on wine, it's not only calories that we should all be concerned about, but our overall health when it comes to what we consume.