Wine

Options
124»

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I love wine, and one glass is pretty easy to fit into my day with some exercise and/or careful prelogging. What works for me is buying those small 6.3oz bottles of wine (Sutter Home and Barefoot have them) instead of a regular bottle. I can have a sensible and controlled portion of wine for about 150 calories, and I don't need to worry about an entire bottle of wine going bad or having to dirty a measuring cup (now, trying to match the right amount of insulin for the wine relative to the duration I drink it, what I'm eating it with, and the million other things that affect my blood sugar is a whole 'nother story...).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    My sister nearly got diabetes from drinking wine. I think sometimes people forget it is a sugary drink.

First, what does "nearly got diabetes" mean? Second, Sugar doesn't cause diabetes and even if it did, how would one pin the responsibility on wine, which actually is fairly low in sugars, compared to all the other foods/drinks we consume with both natural and added sugar.
    Third, if she was drinking that much wine that she thought it "nearly caused her to get diabetes" I would be more concerned about her liver than anything else.

Heavy drinking can mess up your pancreas which is known to contribute to development of diabetes.

Too much alcohol can cause chronic inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), which can impair its ability to secrete insulin, ultimately leading to diabetes.

It could be that her sister drank heavily for a long period of time, but not long enough (I've read 10 years or more) to develop pancreatitis to develop diabetes. For women 2 - 3 glasses of wine a day, and for men 3 - 4 glasses per day can lead to some serious issues.

In a discussion such as we are having on wine, it's not only calories that we should all be concerned about, but our overall health when it comes to what we consume.

Thanks for posting, I wasn't aware that came into play.

Having said that, the poster who mentioned her sister "almost getting diabetes" actually said -
    "My sister nearly got diabetes from drinking wine. I think sometimes people forget it is a sugary drink."
    So still a nope. If her sister nearly got diabetes from wine, it wasn't from the sugar, and it wasn't from "drinking wine" it was from long-term heavy drinking.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    My sister nearly got diabetes from drinking wine. I think sometimes people forget it is a sugary drink.

First, what does "nearly got diabetes" mean? Second, Sugar doesn't cause diabetes and even if it did, how would one pin the responsibility on wine, which actually is fairly low in sugars, compared to all the other foods/drinks we consume with both natural and added sugar.
    Third, if she was drinking that much wine that she thought it "nearly caused her to get diabetes" I would be more concerned about her liver than anything else.

Heavy drinking can mess up your pancreas which is known to contribute to development of diabetes.

Too much alcohol can cause chronic inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), which can impair its ability to secrete insulin, ultimately leading to diabetes.

It could be that her sister drank heavily for a long period of time, but not long enough (I've read 10 years or more) to develop pancreatitis to develop diabetes. For women 2 - 3 glasses of wine a day, and for men 3 - 4 glasses per day can lead to some serious issues.

In a discussion such as we are having on wine, it's not only calories that we should all be concerned about, but our overall health when it comes to what we consume.

Thanks for posting, I wasn't aware that came into play.

Having said that, the poster who mentioned her sister "almost getting diabetes" actually said -
    "My sister nearly got diabetes from drinking wine. I think sometimes people forget it is a sugary drink."
    So still a nope. If her sister nearly got diabetes from wine, it wasn't from the sugar, and it wasn't from "drinking wine" it was from long-term heavy drinking.

Correct. The semantics should have said that her sister's heavy drinking of wine was most likely contributing to altering the insulin secretion from her pancreas, at least enough to the point that it was detected as she was close to developing diabetes. Lucky to have been caught early and hopefully righted in a healthy manner.
  • Mayasmama5410
    Mayasmama5410 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine most nights. I have thought about cutting it out or just saving it for the weekend but it is something I really enjoy. I am only a month in but prior to this, a glass of wine usually led to a snack, something salty and then something sweet and then another glass of wine. Now I try to not snack while I have my glass of wine or I plan for it, usually a square of dark chocolate or some cheese, crackers and fruit. I try to really enjoy it.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    karajhol wrote: »
    I do most things very well, better than most. But wine is my Achilles heel and it appears to be the reason I'm having trouble with my weight. I'm 5'6" 155 lbs., would prefer to be at 145 lbs. i do not want to cut my alcohol calories.
    I make a ton of money. I am a 4.0 doctoral student. I am a hell of a mom and wife. I just cannot, and do not want to, kick the nightly wine habit. I was raised this way, as was my mother and her mother before that.

Anybody else going through this?

I don't have input in the wine category, but there's so much justification included in this post.

If you're fine with your wine habit, why do you feel the need to talk about how you're "better than most"? I'm a doctoral student in a difficult field, I don't use that to justify my binge eating.