Toning Muscle

Options
Hi there,

I have been a bit of an exercise noob in the past, but over the last year (especially since the summer) I made exercise and eating right a big priority. I've lost 20 lbs and now weigh about 120 lbs. I am 5'4", and I am happy with my weight at this point, but I would like to focus on toning my belly fat and arm fat (and any other fat). I would love to comfortably wear a bikini, really! My exercise up to this point has consisted of cardio such as jogging, Jillian Michaels, and Dance Dance Revolution, but I am wondering what types of exercise I need to focus on to tone.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Pick a program to suit your needs (probably in the Beginners section) and if you're happy with your scale weight, then eat at maintenance and lift using a progressive lifting program to recomp. It'll change your body composition without changing your weight.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have been a bit of an exercise noob in the past, but over the last year (especially since the summer) I made exercise and eating right a big priority. I've lost 20 lbs and now weigh about 120 lbs. I am 5'4", and I am happy with my weight at this point, but I would like to focus on toning my belly fat and arm fat (and any other fat). I would love to comfortably wear a bikini, really! My exercise up to this point has consisted of cardio such as jogging, Jillian Michaels, and Dance Dance Revolution, but I am wondering what types of exercise I need to focus on to tone.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Being "tone" is basically a function of the appearance of the muscle -- how big is it and how much body-fat do you have around it.

And I say both because you could be super lean, but if you don't have much muscle development you may not like the appearance (granted "tone" is subjective but hopefully you get what I'm referring to here).

And so generally speaking you'll want to focus on a resistance training program (lift weights).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You need to add resistance training in order to build muscle. Here is a thread to get you started:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Strength or resistance training. The vast majority of Jillian Micheals workouts are a combination of cardio & light strength training.....you need more & heavier strength training. That's what is going to "shape" your weight loss results. Cardio burns calories & is great for your heart....but it doesn't "shape."

Look for recomposition. When we lose weight, we lose fat+existing lean muscle. Strength training while losing can help you cut back on the % of muscle loss. You want to eat at goal (or higher) to regain some of the muscle you lost.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/?s=recomposition

"Tone" really isn't a thing. You lose a layer of fat covering muscle. That's what makes you look "toned."
  • mugginskate
    mugginskate Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Fat loss can't be targeted, sorry. For more on that, google "spot reduction myth". :+1:
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Honestly, try heavy lifting. It is intimidating, but it will give you the results that you want. You won't get "bulky" looking and you'll be surprised at how heavy you can lift while remaining "toned." I get looks all the time in the gym and have been asked if I'm "sure" I can lift what I have on the rack, and then easily get 240 lbs. up for a squat. Squatting, dead lifts and a good core routine will tone your core and legs, and a simple arm routine using 10-15 lb. dumbbells will easily tone arms, shoulders and back! Definitely worth getting into lifting. It changes the composition of your body. I started at 95 lbs. thinking I needed to "lose weight" and run and lift light to get "toned" and then I realized I needed to eat more, build muscle and lift heavy. Now I'm 118 lbs. and have the figure I always wanted.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's one of the best articles about "toning" that I've ever read. He lays it out pretty well: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to reduce body fat
    Calorie surplus combined with a progressive lifting program to increase muscle mass
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Here's one of the best articles about "toning" that I've ever read. He lays it out pretty well: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

Fantastic article. Thanks for the link.