Thoughts on drinking diet cokes, etc

Options
124»

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I've seen alot of real post like that and found it a good opportunity to remind people of source credibility. I understood it was a joke but some people rely on blogs for information sadly. I've seen the same arguments you made taken seriously with almost the same wording.
    mph323 wrote: »
    A blog is not a credible source. The amount of artificial sweetener needed to affect a person the way you describe would be impossible to consume. When you look for information don't use blogs created by unqualified people look for peer reviewed scientific research.
    Diet drinks cause cancer and are worse for you than full calorie drinks.

*the above is just a joke

Seriously?? You can joke about the chemicalz and dna-altering properties of aspartame? There are hundreds of blogs out there showing how awful diet drinks are for your body - look them up yourself! <flounce> /jk

/jk means joke. Did you even read any of the posts above, including mine defending diet coke?

eta: just kidding is correct :#

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    i've always been a diet coke lover. i've never drank regular soda except for ranume ever. i still drink it, i am just mindful of the sodium.

Diet coke hardly has any sodium at all. Why does the myth that pop has tons of sodium come from? Btw it's sodium content is the same as water
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I've seen alot of real post like that and found it a good opportunity to remind people of source credibility. I understood it was a joke but some people rely on blogs for information sadly. I've seen the same arguments you made taken seriously with almost the same wording.
    A blog is not a credible source. The amount of artificial sweetener needed to affect a person the way you describe would be impossible to consume. When you look for information don't use blogs created by unqualified people look for peer reviewed scientific research.

Seriously?? You can joke about the chemicalz and dna-altering properties of aspartame? There are hundreds of blogs out there showing how awful diet drinks are for your body - look them up yourself! <flounce> /jk

/jk means joke. Did you even read any of the posts above, including mine defending diet coke?

It was very rude to quote my post as if I was seriously posting something idiotic and needed to be corrected. If you had prefaced your remarks with something like "I know you're joking but..." it would have been more appropriate.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I meant no and you are correct I should have pre faced it

It was very rude to quote my post as if I was seriously posting something idiotic and needed to be corrected. If you had prefaced your remarks with something like "I know you're joking but..." it would have been more appropriate.

• mph323
    Options
    Peace and happy new year :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet soda since it was sweetened with saccharine.

I also drink a LOT of water (I have chronic dry mouth and am always thirsty) and several cups of various herbal teas sweetened with liquid Splenda a day.

I have a couple of health conditions, but meh, they're genetic.

I'm not worried about the artificial sweeteners.
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030

I've never really cared for any artificial sweetener; I think all of them taste horrid. But the above read is interesting
  • mph323
    Options
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030

I've never really cared for any artificial sweetener; I think all of them taste horrid. But the above read is interesting

I think Rebecca covered this nicely upstream.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    i've always been a diet coke lover. i've never drank regular soda except for ranume ever. i still drink it, i am just mindful of the sodium.

Diet coke hardly has any sodium at all. Why does the myth that pop has tons of sodium come from? Btw it's sodium content is the same as water

Yes this myth always confounds me - if people really are concerned about sodium in diet sodas why dont they just check the nutrition label on the can and then they will see for themselves that this is bunkum.

Its not like you need to access original studies or understand scientific language - the information is right there for anyone to see, on the product itself.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Yes this myth always confounds me - if people really are concerned about sodium in diet sodas why dont they just check the nutrition label on the can and then they will see for themselves that this is bunkum.

Its not like you need to access original studies or understand scientific language - the information is right there for anyone to see, on the product itself.

{Note: The following reply is intended for humour only and not intended as an actual response to the above}

Nah. It just the conspiracy between the drink manufacturers, the medical system and the FDA to make sure we are all sick and need medical attention.

{Note: The above was meant completely as hunour and not intended as a response to be considered factual. The author of the above response DOES NOT hold this opinion.}
  • mph323
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

{Note: The following reply is intended for humour only and not intended as an actual response to the above}

Nah. It just the conspiracy between the drink manufacturers, the medical system and the FDA to make sure we are all sick and need medical attention.

{Note: The above was meant completely as hunour and not intended as a response to be considered factual. The author of the above response DOES NOT hold this opinion.}

:open_mouth:

Tin foil hats have never looked so good!

il_570xN.171626514.jpg

Oh my God, that's just AWESOME! Somebody has way too much time on their hands :)
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I would drink a diet soda if it was good (haven't really had any). I once found a soda that wasn't labeled diet or anything and tasted good, but was only 15 cal a cup. But I'd be too embarrassed to do it if someone could see.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    I would drink a diet soda if it was good (haven't really had any). I once found a soda that wasn't labeled diet or anything and tasted good, but was only 15 cal a cup. But I'd be too embarrassed to do it if someone could see.

Why would you be embarrassed?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

:open_mouth:

Tin foil hats have never looked so good!

il_570xN.171626514.jpg

Oh my God, that's just AWESOME! Somebody has way too much time on their hands :)

Definitely not me!
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options

It's actually a way to keep all of us chemists employed. We have to keep making the dangerous chemikalz to put in diet drinks to make them evil.
  • airforceman1979
    airforceman1979 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I think over time there will be a connection between artificial sweeteners and something negative happening to our bodies but at this point who knows? I see diet drinks as empty calories and zero nutritional value, like water. The difference is water is free and unlikely to cause many problems down the road. Once I got used to drinking water or unsweet tea I prefered them. You are free to drink what you like but you may get a kick out of a game I play during my morning run. I count how many semi trucks with coke or pepsi pass me, its usually between five and seven 18 wheeler loads.

50 years of intensive research and we've got nothing bad on it. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

That may be true but I feel a connection between artificial sweeteners and diabetes may be found. Anyway you may notice I have a lot of "I feel" and "May be" followed by "who knows" so really I got nothing. On the other hand I challenge you to find healthy benefits to drinking them. As stated I don't care if anyone likes or drinks them, I am just cheap and would rather not drink them.

Hydration. Staying hydrated seems to be pretty healthy.

You can overhydrate and kill yourself someone actually did that while I was in basic training