January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn what's the wind look like? For me, that's the most important consideration when it gets this cold.

9 on Sat, 6 on Sun, so not a huge difference there. Sat would also be a 0430 wake up since my wife has to be at work at 0800.... but I get up that early during the week so it's not a huge deal. Thing is, low for Friday is -22, so it could be that cold Sat morning....Low for sat is -16, so Sun morning could look like that. Nasty either way I Think
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm with @7lenny7 on the wind vs the cold. My happy *kitten* went to the gym this morning because the wind was 20 mph, I hate that when in 70s nevermind 40.
    @ddmom0811 glad you like your disco light. I'm like you I know every car, dog, person around at 5:30.
    Skip brought a great pair of running capris the other night at Academy, I have to check the brand, when headlights hit them they light up bright white. They are black and gray but the gray lights up, it's crazy.
    @_nikkiwolf_ but since I'll still be required to bring my own pack with water/food/survival blankes/whistle/lights/rain gear/warm clothes, I'm still going to count it a a real trail race! holy crap, I hate bringing my own gummie bears :wink: Sounds like a fun race!
    @runtimer I'm going to watch that video 1,000 times :sunglasses:
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    A nice, speedy run with the club tonight, which I really enjoyed. Now to sit in an Epsom salt bath and read back your messages :)

January Running Challenge

1st - 12.66 miles
    3rd - 3.11 miles
    4th - 6.17 miles

MTD - 21.94/100 miles

Upcoming races:
    12th March 2017 - North London Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • baviddowie
    baviddowie Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ha ha I'm dying here! Post work out Christmas song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ6-nCLeDsI

Edited to add the longer version.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    One of my New Years resolution is to increase my overall fitness, not just my running fitness. I'm starting top to bottom. First up, my facial fitness!

• Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Limeycat's January goal: a very modest 25 miles
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Limeycat wrote: »
    Limeycat's January goal: a very modest 25 miles
    4/1 - 3.39 miles (running club)
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @7lenny7 hysterical
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

January milege
    1---0.50 walk
    2---3.47 w
    4---5.37
    Made a real attempt at a training run. Ran 2 minutes, walked 3. I noticed my surgery side strike was forefoot and my heel rarely touched the ground. While my right ran normally. Trying to compensate for the weak hip abductor. I'm probably gonna be rather sore tomorrow. Maybe I'll swim and so some strength training.

5.37/30 running miles
    3.97 walking miles

Advisable races:
    Races on hold

I did not worry about pace. Just tried to focus on form and listen to my hip. I am seriously stoked to see my pace hanging around 10min/miles +/- 30 seconds!
    Screenshot_20170104-143534_zpschgbxrp7.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    k80flec wrote: »
    Recently someone shared a post on 'dynamic warm-up' which I intended to go back to view. I can't find it, Aaaaarrrrggh. Could you re-post it, whoever you are. I seem to think it was @skippysmom.
    Thank you in advance :)

@k80flec You were right it was @skippygirlsmom from pg6 and then the links on pg 8 from @Stoshew71
    Sounds like you are doing what is called static stretches before you run, they are no good, it's not good to stretch muscles that aren't warm. My daughter (and her professional running coach) who runs cross country and track swears by these dynamic stretches. I thought I had a better video link somewhere but I can't find it. This covers it though.

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/a-dynamic-stretching-routine

I'm sure you'll get lots of other good advice from the folks here. Between us we have all been there done that. :smile:

This is the video I usually quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBp7ZJtyVIA

Here is a whole bunch tho:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dynamic+stretching+before+running
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Awesome!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @Elise4270 Awesome!

I agree @elise4270 fantastic!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ sounds like an awesome race! Bringing survival gear makes it sound pretty hard core.

Woo hoo @Elise4270!

So much more to catch up on, sorry not to comment on more updates but great work all!

Date :::: Miles :::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3
    01/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 13.9

Took another hike with Stella this morning and nearly got myself lost in the woods. It's amazing this trail system that is right by my house is so confusing to me. I've really only just started exploring it and my usual good sense of direction gets all off up there. Made home just before it really started raining. Met up with some runner pals and did an easy run this afternoon - fortunately the rain was done but the temps dropped considerably. I think snow is on its way.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @katharmonic we have some great trails here too. Skip and I ran them last year, not so much year, but I get turned around all the time. They are marked fairly well but sometimes it's hard to figure it out. I went last year with a group and I was like OMG I'd never find my way by myself.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    1/1: rest day
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: 3 miles
    1/4: 4.3 miles

TOTAL: 12.4/130 (goal subject to change)

First true hill workout (as in hill intervals) and with my new watch to boot! 1.6 mile warm up, 3 x 1/4 mile hill sprints, 1.45 mile cool down. Splits were 2:05, 2:08, and 2:06. Adding in jogging down the hill, total mileage = 4.3.

The trail that I run on occasionally is next to a neighborhood that has several streets in a row of steep inclines and are the perfect distance away from the trailhead for a warmup/cooldown. I intended to change at work and run the aforementioned route, but realized I forgot to pack the all-important sports bra. Sigh. I remembered my new watch was supposed to come, so I figured out the basic functions fast enough to get out for an alternate route that unfortunately included hill sprints with a more gradual incline. I'll definitely still be feeling it tomorrow though! My shin was mostly fine, but my left achilles and right quad are pretty sore/tight.

I haven't been able to catch up on posts today and see I'm almost 70 behind! I did catch a glimpse of cold/wind talk. Monday I ran in 45F and today I ran in 11F windchill and 20mph winds. I only caught headwind on my warmup though, so it wasn't bad as I thought it would be.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Fantastic!! What app are you using that gives that display?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    First run of the year, 8.0 km Up Pats Creek Trail in the Snow. Wasn't a great run - struggled with footing and visibility. Still I got out for a run and put some km's on my shoes so it's all good. Heading to the Ski Hill for Night Skiing and "cross training".

2015-12-31 YTD 638.4Km
    2016-12-31 YTD 1343.0 km

01/04 8.0 km –8.0km –132.0 km – YTD 8.0 km

exercise.png

Chilly Willy HM Grande Prairie, AB Feb 5,2017
    Hypo Thermic HM, Edmonton, AB Feb 26,2017
    Jasper HM, Jasper National Park, April 8, 2017
    Mystery East Coast HM ??? 2017
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Joining the running challenge super late in the game this month, hope that is okay! I am still *technically* supposed to be off running courtesy of my appendix trying to murder me on December 14 and the resulting classical appendectomy buuuuuut I'm not lol. Was going crazy seeing all the beautiful trails in the city going unrun by me :'(

Setting my KM goal for the month pretty low since I'm not expecting January to be my best post surgery. So 160km and hopefully I can be back to Higdon's Intermediate II by February for my full in June and my 15k in April.

January 1- Travel Day
    January 2- 8.1km
    January 3- 8.1km
    January 4- 8.1km
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - Fantastic!! What app are you using that gives that display?

Its Garmin connect.