• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    1/1: rest day
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: 3 miles
    1/4: 4.3 miles
    1/5: 3 miles

TOTAL: 15.4/130 (goal subject to change)

Easy 3 in 28:53 (9:38 pace). 8F windchill and light snow falling. Not sure how accurate the calories burned is since I work the watch over a layer of clothes, so the HR may be a bit off.

I had a hard time getting out of bed to run this morning having just run ~12 hours prior, being a little sore, and knowing it was cold outside. I remembered what @ddmom0811 posted about running early, so that was a push to get out of bed :) Also, knowing that we are supposed to get a few inches of snow during the day and not getting out of work until later tonight helped too.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    1/1 rest. Colds suck
    1/2- 5.23
    1/3- 4.03
    1/4- 4.01
    1/5- 5.0

Total: 18.27

Monthly goal: stay healthy and continue base building to start marathon training at the end of the month. Nominal mileage goal: 140 miles.

Today's notes: 5 boring miles on the TM. I just couldn't bring myself to run outside when it's -20F. Kind of glad I did. My left calf was bugging me some yesterday and continues to bug me today. It feels really tight and achy, I'm hoping some ibuprofen and making this week lower mileage (looking at ~30 miles) will help with that.

It will probably through my mileage goal out the window, cutting back some, but I need to be healthy to start marathon training at the end of the month.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I'm in Italy at the moment

No certificate (I think it's around 130 euros!) no races...

9 miles running today, yesterday was in cake mood and with all the sugars I had I could have run 100 miles. Obviously now it's sunny and warm, while on Saturday - my next planned cycling day - it'll be - 3.
    Tempted to cycle now but I don't want to overdo

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lunch run was 6.8k out, a quick bite to eat and then 6k back. My fuelling strategy was a greggs pasty and a flat white in the middle of the run - not exactly conventional but I do some mystery shopping on the side so this was one of the assignments. I half expected to get stomach problems on the way back, but actually felt fine. I used to have all sorts of problems with any food on the run (or in the 2 hours beforehand) but definitely finding the more I practice eating things the better it seems to be. Run itself was good and I averaged marathon pace despite a few lumps (only one proper hill but constantly undulating). At 4C and sunny (realfeel 1C) was nice out but still definitely needing to investigate better handwear so that's my mission this weekend.

Otherwise just pleased to back into running after unscheduled Xmas/NY break - my cold feels like is on its way out so hopefully I'll be up to a long run in next few days.

exercise.png
    3-Jan: 11.49k [6.7k MP + 4.8k easy -suffering with cold]
    4-Jan: 5.3k treadmill intervals [TM]
    5-Jan: 12.9k hilly run
  • Redhouse6758
    Redhouse6758 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am going to start training next week for the Broad Street Run, I am following Galloway's half marathon training plan and I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone as it were. Broad St is the first week in May and if I stay on schedule I will complete the training by the end of May.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I am going to start training next week for the Broad Street Run, I am following Galloway's half marathon training plan and I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone as it were. Broad St is the first week in May and if I stay on schedule I will complete the training by the end of May.

Sounds good to me
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late. I need to get back moving again. I'm signing up for 30 miles this month.
    1/4-2.48

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1/1 - Still wasn't feeling up to it.
    1/2 - Bodypump, the 2.25 miles on the 'mill
    1/3 - 4.5 miles on the treadmill (Trek class). That'll clean your lungs out.
    1/4 - Stayed in bed. Lingering cold + a bratty greyhound = not enough sleep.
    1/5 - Bodypump, then 2.25 treadmill miles.

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am such a Boston rookie. In talking with people who have run Boston previously, I have learned a ton about the event, but it occurred to me yesterday that there is still so much I do not know. For example, I received an email yesterday from BAA talking about the 5K race on Saturday. I had no idea that there was a 5K. But I am super excited to find out because I would really love for my husband to run it. It would give him something personal to look forward to for the weekend and a small training goal because I'm sure he would want to PR. However, as I understand it, entrance is limited to the first 10,000 people (holy cow, I know)!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with registering for the Boston marathon 5K. How difficult is it to get in? What is the registration like? How long did you need to try? That kind of thing. The registration opens up on January 18 at 10AM to those not running the distance medley. Apparently entrance is automatic for those running the distance medley, but that would require 3 trips to Boston, and, judging by the cost of this one, that is not going to happen!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! :smiley:

exercise.png

1/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    2/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    3/1: 3.52 kms (Wk1 D1 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 10 mins Squat Challenge + 5 mins Tabata HIIT
    4/1: 3.54 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 7 mins HIIT
    5/1: 3.54 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K – repeat) + 30 mins yoga + 14 mins HIIT
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom takes a nerd to separate 2 or more nerds! Haha!

ETA ...Just back from the doc. Ive seen this guy for 20 years. Just love him. Got a script for generic cymbalta. I'd taken it about a year ago for nerve pain. So he thought this was the best choice. Maybe by tomorrow I won't feel like nut punching everyone. (Not exactly how how I feel, I tried to keep it PG. If you want the MA version, just pm me... Like I'd step into that and reply :dizzy: ).

Cold and lazy today. Think I'll take a nap.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I was planning a run this afternoon / early evening, but it is supposed to be even colder than Tues. when a short 3.5 mile run in low 20's F (high singles wind chill) resulted in serious muscle soreness that still hasn't totally subsided.

I found this old article: https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/running-in-the-cold/

Typically, I go out too fast, can't keep up the pace and slow to a walk, then repeat. I struggle with maintaining pace. So if I make it out today at all (temps are single digits, with sub-zero wind chills), I'll bundle up more, walk at first to warm up, and try to maintain a consistent pace (I always try and usually fail).
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 went it comes to staying PG I like to use a line from a movie (forgot the name of the movie but the line is good) you can "junk punch them in the man stuff" it just fits together really well.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 When it's below freezing, I prefer to warm up inside with walking in place, side steps, knee lifts and kicks, etc. I don't even notice the cold when I step out if I take the time to warm up inside. Then I can ease into my run without running fast because I'm freezing :)

@elise4270 Great news! Give the med time because it takes about 30 days to get the full effect I think.

@skippygirlsmom Beautiful pic! I miss those morning sunrise runs from back when the sun was rising earlier :-D
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 ha ha! You two are too funny. I'm glad the doctor gave you something, we don't want you to go around wanting to punch everyone. :cry:
    @greenolivetree it was probably around 7:00 when I took this, I got home from run at 6:20 and took the girl for her walk. The pretty sky didn't stop the cold though :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 ha ha! You two are too funny. I'm glad the doctor gave you something, we don't want you to go around wanting to punch everyone. :cry:
    :smile:

How bout just the hub's? Haha! Nah, I'm sure I've never punched anyone in my life (except a younger brother, but not past the age of 15- he learned to hit back :wink: ).

That is a spectacular photo!

Thanks @greenolivetree !