• davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    1/4 1.86 Miles

exercise.png
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 sorry to hear about your injury, hope you have a speedy recovery.
    @Orphia your parkrun sounds like a lot of fun and the weather there looks sooo nice!

I had my first run with the 10 km running clinic tonight, it was my first time running with other people and I was sooo slooow compared to everyone else. I was really surprised that I was the only person there that hadn't taken the 10 km clinic several times before and/or have been running marathons and half marathons in the past year. I was totally out of my league and kind of felt like the clinic was not described properly in the advertisement. It said "Participants should currently be able to run for 25 minutes or about 5K using a combination of 10 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking." It should have said "participants should be able to run 5K in 25 minutes" because that's what everyone else did except for me. So I was faced with spending the next 9 weeks running by myself in the dark on a Friday night and taking twice as long as everyone else :s , or drop down to the 5K clinic even though I already finished a 5km program over a month ago. I decided to drop down to the 5K clinic but I'm going to be totally bummed if I find out everyone there has already taken that clinic multiple times and are running 10 km and half marathon races and I can't keep up with them either. Please wish me luck!

Date Km Today - Km for Jan.
    1/3 5.73 - 5.73
    1/5 3.79 - 9.52
    1/6 5.41 - 14.93
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Ottawa Tamarack 10km - 5/27

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @bmelb1 I :heart: our parkrun!

That's a bummer about the 10K clinic being 5K in 25 minutes. I'd be disappointed too.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @bmelb1 such a shame. My running club asks that you can run a 5k at a 12 minute pace before you join, although my first run with them was 6miles and a 12 minute pace off-road is quite a different thing! Still they ensure no one is left behind, there's always a back-marker and they encourage faster runners to sheepdog so as to keep the group together. Can you not talk to them about it? Is the 5k clinic going to serve your needs as it may be focussed on speed rather than maintaining distance (if that's what you're after)?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 So sorry to hear about your stress fracture, wishing you a speedy recovery. It's such a shame that the cost of an MRI is putting you off, but my instinct would be "better the devil you know" - it's easier to deal with if you know exactly what is wrong. We really ought to be more grateful for the free healthcare we have here in the UK, all people ever do is moan about it :neutral:

@Orphia That role sounds SO fun! I think I'm going to suggest it when summer comes round here in the UK, although the warmest we would ever really run in at 9am during the summer is 22C, any hotter is a real extreme. Still, would be much appreciated I'm sure!

@bmelb1 That really sucks about the clinic. Personally, I would complain to the leaders that it was completely misleading and unfair.

Just an easy parkrun for me today, but with no breakfast before it felt harder than it should have. I really need to look into doing some fasted-state runs as part of my marathon training, and actually read some of the technical stuff you guys talk about all the time rather than ignoring it because I don't understand :sweat_smile: My hamstring is feeling a bit happier though, so some yoga, foam rolling and an epsom salt bath today will almost certainly see it gone before my long run tomorrow. Looking forward to a cut-back week next week, it feels long overdue as the last cut-back wasn't really a cut-back as it was my HM taper.

January Running Challenge

1st - 12.66 miles inc 5km PB 25:05
    3rd - 3.11 miles
    4th - 6.17 miles
    6th - 3.03 miles
    7th - 3.11 miles

MTD - 28.08/100 miles

Upcoming races:
    12th March 2017 - North London Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I keep making wrong calls. If I rode on Wed and suddenly was foggy and frozen, today I woke up with - 5c, but sunny. Thought cycling was not an option so went running but road were not iced. Grrrrrr. Was hoping to have a not running day today to rest a bit before tomorrow long run, plus I really want to ride my bike, but never mind, better be safe and reduce the risk of breaking my bones before my holiday next week.

So 9 miles, but I was a bit tired. At least not frozen, and I cannot understand why, the more icy it is, the more. I sweat now.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    7F this morning. Should be 26 by lunch. Then briefly up to 32. So I'll go with an afternoon run so I can dress lighter and also my hubby won't freak out hopefully.

Tomorrow I can't run because I'm taking a bunch of teenagers to the bowling/laser tag/etc activity place after church. I rarely run before church. We already barely make it on time ;)

I did a 10 min hip workout last night. I woke up about midnight wondering why both my hips were burning :p Then I remembered that torturous workout.

@patrikc333 Sorry you couldn't figure out the weather! Frustrating I'm sure.

@bmelb1 Bummer about the clinic. Sounds like they need to let people know it's an advanced group. Maybe it just turned into that over time and everybody got faster - and don't want to help newbies :(
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 Sorry to hear about your injury - you need to do what's right for you. Personally (assuming I could get the money) I'd opt for the MRI for reasons others have mentioned, but either way wishing you a speedy recovery.

@Orphia Sounds like great fun! Also, good luck for your 10k tomorrow (or today - not sure what the time difference is). Hope it comes together for you.

Today I could afford to take a rest day but in the end went for an easy two-legged run, similar to Thursday but less significant hills so was 6k out, coffee and pasty then 6k back. At 8C and overcast it was significantly warmer than it has been recently. Was a little sore after yesterdays gym efforts, (even pushing the vacuum cleaner round the house this morning was hard work!), and really struggled for a while even though I was in my designated easy pace range. Around 4k I decided to up the pace slightly and actually found it *much* easier so the last 2k were run at marathon pace. Coming back I did 3k around easy and then 3k at a little faster than marathon pace - averaging a little slower than marathon pace, though if you take out road crossing time I was probably about MP.

Once I got that first few km out of the way it was pretty good - what killed me more than the tiredness was the humidity. At times felt like I was running through a cloud and I was literally dripping when I got home (which of course you all wanted to know!). Looked it up when I got back and apparently humidity is 97%!!!

exercise.png
    3-Jan: 11.49k [6.7k MP + 4.8k easy -suffering with cold]
    4-Jan: 5.3k treadmill intervals [TM]
    5-Jan: 12.9k MP (slight hills)
    6-Jan: 5.2k treadmill tempo + 2.2k treadmill intervals [TM]
    7-Jan: 5.8k + 6.1k 'tired' runs (slightly slower than MP)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So, I woke up this morning and the pain wasn't in my calf per se, it's right at the point where my Achilles joins the muscle, and goes a little lower. It's not so much a pain as a consistent tightness with some pain now and then.

When I jog in the house (test jog, maybe 20 meters of jogging), there is no pain, it's only when I'm sitting still or walking. Still, I'm glad I decided not to run this morning. I have 3 weeks until I start marathon training, and if I have to skip all three, I guess so be it. I just hate not being able to run.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @OSUBuckeye So sorry to hear you'll be sidelined for a while. At least you have a better idea what is going on. I would also get the MRI. Did your dr say if you can do other cardio such as cycling or elliptical?

@Orphia That looked like so much fun!! I'd love having people to shoot me with a water gun in the summer! I hit every water sprinkler I can when its hot outside! Lol

@MNLittleFinn Hope your pain goes away soon.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    So, I woke up this morning and the pain wasn't in my calf per se, it's right at the point where my Achilles joins the muscle, and goes a little lower. It's not so much a pain as a consistent tightness with some pain now and then.

When I jog in the house (test jog, maybe 20 meters of jogging), there is no pain, it's only when I'm sitting still or walking. Still, I'm glad I decided not to run this morning. I have 3 weeks until I start marathon training, and if I have to skip all three, I guess so be it. I just hate not being able to run.

@MNLittleFinn - Alarm bells went off in my head. Your pain is right where it showed up when I came down with Achilles tendonitis. I didn't know what it was till my podiatrist wrote the diagnosis on a prescription for physical therapy. Then I wasn't sure that was a real Dx or just something to get me into PT, until the PT told me everything was acting like Achilles tendonitis.

If you don't already have a podiatrist and/or a physical therapist, now would be a good time to do some research on local professionals that treat runners and have an initial appointment. Best case, you find out it's nothing to worry about. Worst case, you get stuff to do for the issue that is designed for what you really have going on, instead of what we guess is going on from what you write.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    I cannot understand why, the more icy it is, the more. I sweat now.

If I were out trying to ride a bike on icy roads, I think I'd sweat quite a bit too. The sweat isn't always about pure physical exertion.

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    OSUbuckeye906 - Sorry to hear about your injury. I would spend the money for the MRI to find out what exactly is going on.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp that's what I'm doing this morning. When I woke up with the pain where it was, I thought of your injury. I emailed my GP this morning because, pretty much any chance of a referral would depend on going through them first.

I'm just glad that I'm not in thr middle of training. Hoping I can get this looked at this week, but that's not always possible.

Edit: I just remembered that I have the phone number for a PT in the area who I worked with when I had students who needed services. Sent him a text.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    bmelb1 wrote: »
    I had my first run with the 10 km running clinic tonight, it was my first time running with other people and I was sooo slooow compared to everyone else. I was really surprised that I was the only person there that hadn't taken the 10 km clinic several times before and/or have been running marathons and half marathons in the past year. I was totally out of my league and kind of felt like the clinic was not described properly in the advertisement. It said "Participants should currently be able to run for 25 minutes or about 5K using a combination of 10 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking." It should have said "participants should be able to run 5K in 25 minutes" because that's what everyone else did except for me. So I was faced with spending the next 9 weeks running by myself in the dark on a Friday night and taking twice as long as everyone else :s , or drop down to the 5K clinic even though I already finished a 5km program over a month ago. I decided to drop down to the 5K clinic but I'm going to be totally bummed if I find out everyone there has already taken that clinic multiple times and are running 10 km and half marathon races and I can't keep up with them either. Please wish me luck!

Good luck! It sounds like you found a pretty fast running community. 5K in 25 minutes works out to 8:04 per mile. I can run that, and I know some other people who can; but they are all experienced runners, the ones who run half marathons and marathons. I would not expect the majority of people who are working toward their first 10K to have that kind of pace, and I would not expect that kind of pace in a program where "able to run 5K" has to be listed as a prerequisite.

I agree that there is a disconnect between the stated requirements and the reality. The stated requirements sound like an intermediate program to take runners from the 5K distance to the 10K distance. The field as you describe it sounds like a bunch of experienced runners working on getting faster. It's kind of hard to have a single training plan to meet both of those goals.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    04/01 3 miles
    07/01 3 miles - that was a tough run and almost gave up, I kept coughing and choking. I've felt weak all week but though I was just being lazy, I must be getting a cold.

@MNLittleFinn - fingers crossed your calf/achilles isn't anything too serious.

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jan 02     6.5        6.5
    Jan 07     4.3       10.8

exercise.png

Finally back on the road after some sort of awful Respiratory Demon possessed my lungs for the past week. I wanted to get out ahead of the snow and was just in time. First time out with my new Saucony Zealots, a lower drop shoe I decided to try. I had good luck with a pair of Brooks Pureflows last year ... similar shoe. I felt more comfortable and felt I was running well, although the Garmin says my pace was about the same as always, so ... a moral victory I guess. I also had to switch out from my prior brand for, or all things, political reasons when they landed on a boycott page I follow. Strange, but when it comes to politics, hardly the strangest thing of the last year!

They're expecting 12+ inches of snow, so I think tomorrow we'll be adding Treadmill miles!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 -Sorry to hear about your potential stress fracture. Benn there. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
    @Orphia -How fun!!!! Love that it's summer there too. I just got back from a run at 3F with negative wind chills...your photo is warming me up!

I decided I could not do my hill sprints outside yesterday due to a combo of ice and cold. Instead I took Stella out for a 1 mile warm up run and then hit the dreadmill for some equivalent intervals. I liked doing the warm up outside because it cut down on the amount of time I was on the dreadmill, but my body's core temperature regulator was not too happy about it. Strange transitioning from super cold to my temperate basement. Yes, I changed my clothes but it was still weird.

This morning I went and met the group for AM run. Temp was 3F. I busted out my belaclava for the first time this season. My hubby told me I would be the only one there. Of course I knew otherwise, but I was still surprised to see about 25 people show up. I was intending to do 6 miles and make my long run tomorrow when I can wait until a little later in the day and slightly warmer weather. I some how got dragged into 7.7 miles. It was a slow go due to icy roads and waiting on some of the slower runners, but it would have been far less bearable if I had been alone. All in all, a cold but great run. Not looking forward to tomorrow though.