January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    First 4 mile run since my hip flexor started acting up a few months ago and it felt good. The run itself was more of a slip and slide due to all of the black ice and it was slow but I feel better since I finally had a run longer then 5k.

Date. Run. MTD
    1/2 - 2 miles - 2 miles
    1/4. - 4 miles - 6 miles

5/21 Cleveland Marathon Half
    6/11 Run and Ride Cedar Point Half (back up plan) otherwise...
    6/10-11 Run and Ride Cedar Point 5k and 10k.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 5 miles
    1/2: 2.4 miles
    1/3: Busy day
    1/4: 4.5 miles (am), 4.5 miles (pm) + lifting

Apparently today was "do all the exercise!" day. Ran my dark, foggy miles this morning, and made a Lifting Sandwich this evening after work (2 miles warm-up, lifting sesh, 2.5 miles to limber up after). Tonight I'm going to bed as early as I can and sleeping in as late as I can get away with. I am exhausted from two days of being up too late!

Meanwhile, a teammate asked if I want to do a Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese 4 mile race in March so I will likely be adding an event to my race calendar soon :)

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile
    2/18: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile (trail)
    3/12: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)
    7/1: Finger Lakes Fifties 50k (trail)

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @instantmartian I am sorry about all the car problems.

@lporter229 I am glad I can be of service. I'm just paying it forward.

@Elise4270 NERD!!! :tongue: And @skippygirlsmom She started it. LOL

Glad to see you back to somewhat close to your usual performance @MobyCarp

Very insightful take on your personal experience with BG and Type-1 @midwesterner85
    Thanks for sharing.

Sorry about the strep @ashcky

That was the most funniest video @skippygirlsmom
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I am jealous of you all! Still feeling crappy with cold/allergy/sinus stuff. So much so I didn't even bring running clothes/shoes on our LA trip. I hope I can run Sunday when we are back in AZ.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    1/1: MR10
    1/2: 4 miles
    1/3: MR10
    1/4: 3 miles

7 of 50

Freakin' cold outside, and windy, so I used the TM at home and watched season 4 of Arrested Development. I know, hard core, right? ;-)

exercise.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Good to know that track traffic hazards are a problem elsewhere as well, though it must be frustrating to go to a standard track at an off-peak time and still have that problem. At least the couple that was taking up both lanes of track walking at a leisurely pace got the hint that I wasn't going away after the 7th lap of stopping behind them and saying "excuse me"

@kristinegift WTG on the 40 day streak!

@instantmartian Wow, what a mess. Glad to hear nobody was hurt through the whole ordeal.

@_nikkiwolf_ Wow sounds like a fun but intense race!

@Elise4270 That's fantastic!

• kathrinep
    kathrinep Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Anyone else use the Strava app to track your runs?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kathrinep wrote: »

Yes, in a way. Garmin Connect syncs to Strava.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well it turned out the gym wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Got a decent 4.4 miles done.

12.5/100 so far.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Joining the running challenge super late in the game this month, hope that is okay! I am still *technically* supposed to be off running courtesy of my appendix trying to murder me on December 14 and the resulting classical appendectomy buuuuuut I'm not lol. Was going crazy seeing all the beautiful trails in the city going unrun by me :'(

Setting my KM goal for the month pretty low since I'm not expecting January to be my best post surgery. So 160km and hopefully I can be back to Higdon's Intermediate II by February for my full in June and my 15k in April.

@JessicaMcB LOL at 160 km as LOW and Jan 4 as Late. My goal is 140 but have been averaging around 120 - 125.
    Will you be Healed - Recovered enough to take part in the Jasper HM April 8, 2017 ?? considering it's practically in your back yard and you have the Banff Half Marathon in your plans for next year. We had a group of 8 from Peace River last year and looks like even more this year plus some of the Grande Prairie Crowd that we are trying to persuade. Am also looking into Emperors Challenge in Tumbler Ridge for this summer. Other than GC Death Race are there any events in your Town?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Joining the running challenge super late in the game this month, hope that is okay! I am still *technically* supposed to be off running courtesy of my appendix trying to murder me on December 14 and the resulting classical appendectomy buuuuuut I'm not lol. Was going crazy seeing all the beautiful trails in the city going unrun by me :'(

Setting my KM goal for the month pretty low since I'm not expecting January to be my best post surgery. So 160km and hopefully I can be back to Higdon's Intermediate II by February for my full in June and my 15k in April.

@JessicaMcB LOL at 160 km as LOW and Jan 4 as Late. My goal is 140 but have been averaging around 120 - 125.
    Will you be Healed - Recovered enough to take part in the Jasper HM April 8, 2017 ?? considering it's practically in your back yard and you have the Banff Half Marathon in your plans for next year. We had a group of 8 from Peace River last year and looks like even more this year plus some of the Grande Prairie Crowd that we are trying to persuade. Am also looking into Emperors Challenge in Tumbler Ridge for this summer. Other than GC Death Race are there any events in your Town?

I really wanted to do Jasper but my SIL is likely scheduling our triple baptism (my youngest two and her only) for the 8th so I'd be doing the 15k Spartan in Calgary that weekend instead since we would be there anyway. If plans change with the church though...probably ;) lol

Edson hosts Eddie's Big Run which you can take as a 5, 10 or HM in the third week of June so I'm weighing how smart it is to opt for the HM given it'll be a week after I run Banff as a full? Also have you run Death Race? I am pondering registering since it's August...that's enough time to train...right?! Haha
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to do Jasper but my SIL is likely scheduling our triple baptism (my youngest two and her only) for the 8th so I'd be doing the 15k Spartan in Calgary that weekend instead since we would be there anyway. If plans change with the church though...probably ;) lol

Edson hosts Eddie's Big Run which you can take as a 5, 10 or HM in the third week of June so I'm weighing how smart it is to opt for the HM given it'll be a week after I run Banff as a full? Also have you run Death Race? I am pondering registering since it's August...that's enough time to train...right?! Haha

@JessicaMcB Family First in all things. No I haven't done the GC DR. My Niece wants me to join with her and some friends as a team. I don't like the $$$ they want for teams, especially since the one lady who wants to do the first leg has never ran the distance and does no hill training. I know to many teams who have missed this cut-off and are finished. Eddie's Run would be the week after the PR Heritage Run ( 5, 10 & HM ) so not enough recovery time.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

@JessicaMcB Family First in all things. No I haven't done the GC DR. My Niece wants me to join with her and some friends as a team. I don't like the $$$ they want for teams, especially since the one lady who wants to do the first leg has never ran the distance and does no hill training. I know to many teams who have missed this cut-off and are finished. Eddie's Run would be the week after the PR Heritage Run ( 5, 10 & HM ) so not enough recovery time.

Let me know if you decide to register (I get your trepidation though, who the hell runs long distance trail in Alberta and doesn't hill train?!)! My GP runs it every year and he keeps trying to entice me into it lol
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Doing a 10 km race on Sunday.

Hoping to beat my 10 km PB (56:46), but it's a hilly course.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    January goal: Get up. Move.

1/1: rest
    1/2 3.55
    1/3 4.21
    1/4 5.69

Total: 13.45

@instantmartian Yea! for fiances....boo for "car stuff"

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and total to date:

exercise.png
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

My TomTom syncs to Strava

@Stowshew71 - thanks for the additional links on dynamic stretches.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

i sync my tomtom to Strava. I prefer the layout and the GPS is possibly more accurate. It is also better at recording my non-moving time (so if I forget to pause my watch, and sit down for lunch, Strava only counts moving time)
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Date,,,,,,,,,,Miles,,,,,,,,,,Total
    1/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.0
    2/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.3
    3/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4.3
    4/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,6.6
    5/1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9.2

exercise.png[\img]
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @kathrinep Most of the time I use my tomtom watch and have it sync with Strava; when I don't have the watch with me (holidays/travel/just forgotten at home), I use the Strava app directly. The app works fine; I just prefer the watch because it's easier to have a quick glance at it to check time and distance than unlocking the phone screen.

There's also a Strava group with lots of people from this challege: MFP monthly running challenge - join us there if you like :)
  • zipsterj
    zipsterj Posts: 29 Member
    Options

exercise.png

slow start but will get there ....