January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @jahend08 Welcome and don't worry if you haven't found a dead body and you aren't walking then you are a runner. You'll get there in no time.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    @jahend08 Welcome and don't worry if you haven't found a dead body and you aren't walking then you are a runner. You'll get there in no time.

Surely only people walking with dogs are the body finders?

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Haven't had time to read yet, will come back. Here's my update:

Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3
    01/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 13.9
    01/05/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 17.2
    01/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    01/07/17 :::: 6.9 :::: 24.2
    01/08/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 26.7
    01/09/17 :::: 2.8 :::: 29.5
    01/10/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 32.1
    01/11/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 34.7
    01/12/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 38.2

Treadmill run again today to avoid the pouring rain. I was going to take a rest day but I'm going out to dinner so needed the calorie burn :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MNLittlefinn that all sounds like good news!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso Oh no, that doesn't sound good at all! I'm so sorry that you can't run the marathon! *hugs*
    Maybe you can drop down to a shorter distance and walk it, so that at least you get one of the medals?
    As for running another marathon in a few weeks when you are back at 100% health - I had a quick look, and there would already be one in two weeks; ARR Desert Marathon , or if you want more time to repeat a few weeks of your training plan, there's also the Phoenix marathon on the 25th February.
    Hal Higdon has an article with a few plans for postponing a marathon, maybe that could help you figure out what to do next? It would be such a shame not to run a marathon after all the hard training you did!

@skippygirlsmom Wow, it took a year and your toenail still didn't grow all the way out? Good thing I didn't know that last year - I lost one in November 2015, and I was freaking out about how long it took to grow, until it was finally back to normal in May 2016. I guess I should be grateful that it "only" took half a year.

@OSUbuckeye906 That's awesome news :smile:

@jahend08 Welcome to the group!

---

This week we had a bit of real winter weather. Tuesday I went running anyway. The sidewalks were pure ice, forcing me to walk at a snails pace, but in the forest the trails were covered in frozen snow instead, there I could actually run. Making trails in fresh, untouched snow is so much fun :-)
    Wednesday it started to melt a bit during the day and freeze again before I got home, no running on that new layer of ice! Instead I decided to swap the day with Friday's rest day, so I only did a little of strength training.

Today the temperature climbed enough to turn the snow into rain that washed the streets mostly free of ice and snow. Still, it wasn't really my best running day ever. I already got drenched in cold rain on the bike ride home from work; so it took quite a bit of effort to motivate myself to change into running clothes and go back out. My plan was to do 10min warmup, 3x800m at 5:00min/km pace with 400m recovery in between, followed by 10 min cooldown.
    I don't know if it was the horrid weather (mostly rain, but with a bit of snow mixed in with the downpour as well), the fact that I only got three hours of sleep last night, or the fact that I tried out a new headlamp and it annoyed the heck out of me. In any case, I was struggling all the time and didn't manage to hit the paces right; I ended up too slow with 5:14, 5:10, 5:06min/km for the three intervals. And I think my rain jacket has lost it's water-proofing after being washed a couple of times, I got really wet and was freezing so much I decided there was no need for a cool-down, a hot shower seemed like a much better option!
    I hope the weather will be better tomorrow (forecast sais heavy snow all day, but maybe they are wrong), if it's dry I'll give the intervals another shot...

i6ofp1.png
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support, everyone! It's going to be hard not running for another 4 weeks, but I'm hoping to get into a good routine of alternating swimming and biking/walking. Hopefully those things will help prevent me from getting too jealous of you guys ;)

@louubelle16 Kudos to you for getting out for a run in that weather! I have to admit, I am definitely missing running but not too sad to be missing running in the current conditions.

@jahend08 Welcome! We all started somewhere, so don't be shy to post. This group is great support for runners of all abilities.

@MNLittleFinn Glad to hear you're cleared for running! Hope your PT's assessment will be helpful in recovering and preventing further injuries.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ yeah it's nutty. It was purple for like ever, then it was black, then it started to lift off at the corners. The parts that lifted and were not attached I cut off because it hurt to run. I'm trying to watch to see if it's really growing back or not. It's like lumpy for lack of a better word. If it keeps looking weird I'll have it looked at. I had another toe that got a plum color and after about 4 month it went away and I never lost the nail.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jan 02     6.5        6.5
    Jan 07     4.3       10.8
    Jan 09     4.3T      15.1
    Jan 12     6.1T      21.2

exercise.png

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    01.01.17 - 15 m. LR
    01.02.17 - 10 m. - This weeks goal is 55 miles.
    01.03.17 - 9.1 m. TM 6 M + 5K.
    01.05.17 - 9 m. TM w/ incline.
    01.06.17 - 10 m. TM. 9:10 pace.
    01.07.17 - 8.1 m. TM 5 M + 5K.
    01.08.17 - 8.8 m. incl 2x5K's.
    01.09.17 - 11 m. TM @ 8:35 pace. - This weeks goal is 60 miles.
    01.10.17 - 8 m. TM. EZ pace jog tonight.
    01.11.17 - 11 m. TM @ 8:27 pace.
    01.12.17 - 6.4 m. EZ. Anticipate a LR this weekend.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So this week I have been working on quicker feet (again).
    Today: 4 miles with 175 spm (steps per minute) cadence.
    Yesterday: 10 miles with 174 spm.
    Monday: 10 miles with 171 spm (but I was also running up a mountain at over 600 feet of elevation.
    @Stoshew71 I can relate to those numbers. My normal/avg is just under 800 spm based on a 5 minute Avg data window ( 160 spm ). If I push above that number ( especially early in a run <10 mins ) is when I end up with calf cramps/strains. I don't fully understand it, either does my PT/Doctor so like all runners I have learned to adapt and work my pace around it.

Work has kept me on the road all week = no runs, no swimming = grumpy.
    110 posts behind. Browsing - laughing and hoping for all to recover quickly from injuries or illness.

@MNLittleFinn Nice Leggings, so 1970 ish Aerobics wear. o:) Noticed you have one Runners Toe Nail. Nice and Black. I am guessing based on my only personal experience that you might lose that nail.
    Time for another of MNLittleFinn's newbie questions.....
    Snorted my coffee - Sorry I no longer consider you a Newbie, Glad to hear you are cleared for Running.

@skippygirlsmom @_nikkiwolf_ I once had a toe Nail that was broken right at the growth plate ( dropped a log on it ) which caused the new Nail to grow in underneath the existing nail with a layer of skin between the old and new nail. So the old nail was still attached to the skin and did not get pushed out/off the toe. The new toenail starting to split the skin at the front of the toe and grow out underneath the old nail. I had to get the old nail removed in the Doctors office. The freezing was not enjoyable :s but definitely was the way to go. Can't remember how long it took to grow in properly.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - That's great news, and exactly why I'm a big fan of PT. You find out what your real issues are and start working on them, instead of doing stuff designed to fix problems you don't have. Chances are, most of the stuff I told you about that I do for Achilles tendinitis isn't relevant to your issues.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    January Running Challenge:

1/1: 19 miles
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: BodyPump and 30 minutes of stair stepper
    1/4: 5.8 miles of a 10 mile planned run. Cut short due to knee pain
    1/5 Unplanned rest day
    1/6 2.2 mile walk, 30 minutes elliptical, Strength: upper body and core
    1/7 8.2 miles
    1/8 20 miles
    1/9 45 minutes light strength and 45 minute walk
    1/10 15 minutes of stationary bike, 20 minutes of Elliptical, 45 minutes strength
    1/11 57 minutes of walking (3.5 miles), 52 minutes of strength
    1/12 1 mile walk at lunch, 45 minutes stationary bike, 30 minutes of strength

Goal: 58 of 170
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.39 warmup, 7.5 mile race, cool down
    1/2 – 2.12 easy cross country
    1/3 – 8.58 warmup, tempo intervals
    1/4 – 5.01 easy
    1/5 – 5.99 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 – rest day
    1/7 – 16.59 warmup + Winter Warrior Half Marathon
    1/8 – 7.62 easy on indoor track
    1/9 – 6.51 easy
    1/10 – 6.02 warmup + MP
    1/11 – 6.20 mostly easy
    1/12 – 9.01 warm up, speed work, cool down

January total to date – 84.04

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – Speed work at the track this evening. I'm better than I was Tuesday, but still not 100%. After talking things over with Coach, I ended up with a modification of Tuesday's assigned workout for today: 800 at T to warm up, 4 x 200 at I (instead of R), 2 x 1600 at T, 4 x 200 at I. I took an easy lap (200 m plus a little, not in lane 1) for recovery between each interval.

My current target pace for T is 49-50 seconds per 200 m lap; for I it's 45-46 seconds per 200 m lap. I brought the 800 in at 3:18 (target 3:16 to 3:20), and the 1600s in at 6:33 and 6:38 (target 6:32 to 6:40). The first four 200s at I came in at 44, 46, 46, and 45; the last four came in at 46, 46, 46, and 45. But those last 4 felt more like R effort. (R target for 200 would be 42 seconds.)

Throw in a slightly long 2 mile warmup and 2 mile cool down, and that brought the evening in at right around 9 miles. Recovery from the half is progressing nicely.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• BeeerRunner
    Options
    Did a few test running strides during a lunch time walk. No pain, so that lifted my spirits. Last night, the weather was beautiful and warm...in the 70s with a big bright moon, and I was so sad I couldn't run. :cry: Depending on the weather tomorrow, I may go on a short run. Or, I may just wait until Saturday to play it safe.

@RunsOnEspresso So sorry about your marathon. The good thing is that you have done a lot of training so once you're feeling better, you can make a plan from there. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Hugs!!

@Orphia Congrats on your news articles!! We'll all be asking for your autograph soon!

@OSUBuckeye906 So glad to hear the good news. 4 weeks will go by quick, and now you know exactly what to do to treat your condition without question. :D

@jahen08 Welcome to the group. I know there was a time I couldn't run through a song without stopping to walk.

@mmteixeira Good luck in your 1st Half marathon! I'm excited for you!!

@MNLittleFinn Congrats on getting cleared to run!! :smiley:
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn Nice Leggings, so 1970 ish Aerobics wear. o:) Noticed you have one Runners Toe Nail. Nice and Black. I am guessing based on my only personal experience that you might lose that
    @skippygirlsmom @_nikkiwolf_ I once had a toe Nail that was broken right at the growth plate ( dropped a log on it ) which caused the new Nail to grow in underneath the existing nail with a layer of skin between the old and new nail. So the old nail was still attached to the skin and did not get pushed out/off the toe. The new toenail starting to split the skin at the front of the toe and grow out underneath the old nail. I had to get the old nail removed in the Doctors office. The freezing was not enjoyable :s but definitely was the way to go. Can't remember how long it took to grow in properly.
    This is exactly why I avoided going to the doctor when I had a black toenail that hung around, even when it was painful. I once had a wart frozen off at the doctor and passed out.

@skippygirlsmom I can't believe it took your nail a year to grow back out! The one and only time I lost a toenail was the result of running two marathons back to back weekends. It actually looked like I had a blister below the nail and it got lumpy too, which I think was a result of the blister pushing the nail up. It hung around for a few months and I thought it was going to end up keeping it, but then it just fell off one day and a new nail had grown in beneath it (about 75%)...in only a few months!

• BeeerRunner
    Options
    So, with all this talk about toenails, does it hurt to lose a toenail? The bottom right of my big toenail is bruised and the toenails on both my big toes hurt. (I'm shopping for shoes with a wider toe box this weekend.) Anyway, if I do lose the toenail, just wondering if it's going to be painful.
  • KusiQuyllur2015
    KusiQuyllur2015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Joining in late! (I've been jogging since the 1st but wasn't keeping track, so I'll begin from yesterday...

1/11- 2.4..... 2.4
    1/12- 3.4..... 5.8
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    So, with all this talk about toenails, does it hurt to lose a toenail? The bottom right of my big toenail is bruised and the toenails on both my big toes hurt. (I'm shopping for shoes with a wider toe box this weekend.) Anyway, if I do lose the toenail, just wondering if it's going to be painful.

@BeeerRunner
    It probably depends on if it falls off on its own (rather than being removed by you or a doctor) and whether or not it's still partially attached to the nail bed or skin underneath. Mine didn't hurt when it fell off on its own but by that point, the new nail underneath had mostly grown in and basically just pushed the old nail out. It DID hurt for a period awhile before it fell off, but I imagine that was the pressure built up underneath the nail from the damage.

Random gross story: when I was a kid, my mom once had a damaged toenail from dropping something on it and she had to have it drained at the doctor. Doctor warned her it would fall off by itself - and it did, at the beach on vacation, without her realizing. She looked down and it was just gone. :s Point is, it didn't hurt her either.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I want to tear the GD safety cord out of my treadmill so damn badly after tonight. It is so fidgety and pulled THREE times and my treadmill wipes all my distance info the second it is pulled. So I know I ran at least 11km but I'm logging it as a 10 because adding up the 3 was just irritating me. Gaaaaaah, first world problems

January 1- Travel Day
    January 2- 8.1km
    January 3- 8.1km
    January 4- 8.1km
    January 5- Rest Day
    January 6- 10km
    January 7- 15.1km
    January 8- 6km
    January 9- HIIT Day
    January 10- 10.1km
    January 11- Rest Day
    January 12- 10.1km