January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I need some advice on whether this is crazy or not...

My resolutions this year include 2 for running: Complete a 10K and a half marathon. Additionally, I've been wanting to do a backpacking trip for about a week in Glacier National Park and was planning for August.

Currently, the plan is to complete a 10K is actually to do a trail 12K on 4/1/17. I'm working on building /training for it now.

I'm thinking about signing up for the Glacier Half Marathon on 6/24 and then starting out on a backpacking trip through the park on 6/25. If I did that, I would spend twice as long driving as normal for a road trip. Normally when I do road trips, I drive straight through with plans to hike or see historical sites along my route during the day and some extra time built in to pull off and sleep in my car for a couple hours here and there as needed... but mostly drive at night. So I would be well rested compared to normal because I would stop in hotels along the way and spend way more time getting there. Also, I would plan to arrive 1.5 days before the start of the race in order to have time to get used to the elevation and to check out the route / area.

The Glacier Half looks like it is mostly roads and much less elevation gain than the 12K trail run on 4/1; so I really think it will be comparable in terms of difficulty. Obviously there are sleep, familiarity with area, elevation (around 5K ft. elevation vs. 1K ft. where I live), and probably some other challenges with the Glacier Half. But I'm really thinking this is something I can do before backpacking.

Is there anything I'm missing that makes this a bad idea? If I'm going to do this, I can save some money by signing up today (early bird registration is ending tonight).
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    that sounds like something I'd want to do. I'd take it easy on the first day of the hike though - are you planning to camp? You may want to consider a hotel stay after the half and then do the camping/backpacking bit after that....

(just looked at images of the park. Can I come?)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support @girlinahat @Marissaxzxzxz @Elise4270 @skippygirlsmom @7lenny7 and anyone I missed (it's hard on my phone). I don't want to complain about all the details. I'm just tired and my life has come to a screeching halt. Slow-mo is hard for me. And if you've been a mom and heard "mom" one time too many, it's kinda like that ;) Thanks y'all!
  • zipsterj
    zipsterj Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    so...apparently i have post viral fatigue syndrome ....thats why im lacking energy ...any top tips??

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    that sounds like something I'd want to do. I'd take it easy on the first day of the hike though - are you planning to camp? You may want to consider a hotel stay after the half and then do the camping/backpacking bit after that....

(just looked at images of the park. Can I come?)

Yes, that would be the plan... drive up and stay in hotels along the way to make it only about 10-12 hrs. driving per day (for me, that is not much). Then stay in a hotel for 2 nights in the area before the race and a 3rd night after the race. Head out the next day after the race for my backpacking trip.

Yes, you can come!! It really is a beautiful park. I've been there before, but it was May when the main road (Going to the Sun Road) that cuts east-west across the park was closed and I only did day hiking. I've been wanting to get a backpacking trip in for years and decided I'm finally going to do it this year. The biggest risk is that the road mentioned is closed up until all the snow is plowed for the year. They try to have that done by June 20, but it doesn't always happen. If the backpacking route is a one-way with the plan to leave from and then come back to another trailhead along that road (there is a park shuttle on that road to take me back to the original trailhead and retrieve my car), then the route will need to be changed at the last minute.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

My resolutions this year include 2 for running: Complete a 10K and a half marathon. Additionally, I've been wanting to do a backpacking trip for about a week in Glacier National Park and was planning for August.

Currently, the plan is to complete a 10K is actually to do a trail 12K on 4/1/17. I'm working on building /training for it now.

I'm thinking about signing up for the Glacier Half Marathon on 6/24 and then starting out on a backpacking trip through the park on 6/25. If I did that, I would spend twice as long driving as normal for a road trip. Normally when I do road trips, I drive straight through with plans to hike or see historical sites along my route during the day and some extra time built in to pull off and sleep in my car for a couple hours here and there as needed... but mostly drive at night. So I would be well rested compared to normal because I would stop in hotels along the way and spend way more time getting there. Also, I would plan to arrive 1.5 days before the start of the race in order to have time to get used to the elevation and to check out the route / area.

The Glacier Half looks like it is mostly roads and much less elevation gain than the 12K trail run on 4/1; so I really think it will be comparable in terms of difficulty. Obviously there are sleep, familiarity with area, elevation (around 5K ft. elevation vs. 1K ft. where I live), and probably some other challenges with the Glacier Half. But I'm really thinking this is something I can do before backpacking.

Is there anything I'm missing that makes this a bad idea? If I'm going to do this, I can save some money by signing up today (early bird registration is ending tonight).

I think if you run the race hard, it will negatively impact your trip. If you just run the half for fun and use it like a normal run, you should be fine as long as you rest and stretch a lot afterwards. Don't pkan on heading out back packing right after the race. I ran my first half very fast and my legs were sore for days, and I slept hard as soon as I got home.

I've been to Glacier 3x now, but have not backpacked. If Glacier is the major reason to visit, you will enjoy a visit in late July or early August better. Many hikes will be unavailable in June because the trails have too much snow. For example, you would not be able to hike up to Grinnell Glacier in June. I've been to CO in June and froze my butt off and couldn't complete hikes due to snow.

Personally, I would find another half marathon and visit Glacier NP in July or August. You have to decide what's best for you, but Glacier NP is one of my most favorite places to visit, and I would rather see it when there is good weather and I have access to all of the trails than go in June. If I lived close by, that may affect my decision, but its5a 2.5 day trip for me.

Btw, feel free to ask any questions about Glacier. Eat lots of huckleberry pie, huckleberry ice cream, and huckleberry beer!! :wink:
  • BeeerRunner
    Options
    Oh, and huckleberry margaritas too!! So yummy!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I think if you run the race hard, it will negatively impact your trip. If you just run the half for fun and use it like a normal run, you should be fine as long as you rest and stretch a lot afterwards. Don't pkan on heading out back packing right after the race. I ran my first half very fast and my legs were sore for days, and I slept hard as soon as I got home.

I've been to Glacier 3x now, but have not backpacked. If Glacier is the major reason to visit, you will enjoy a visit in late July or early August better. Many hikes will be unavailable in June because the trails have too much snow. For example, you would not be able to hike up to Grinnell Glacier in June. I've been to CO in June and froze my butt off and couldn't complete hikes due to snow.

Personally, I would find another half marathon and visit Glacier NP in July or August. You have to decide what's best for you, but Glacier NP is one of my most favorite places to visit, and I would rather see it when there is good weather and I have access to all of the trails than go in June. If I lived close by, that may affect my decision, but its5a 2.5 day trip for me.

Btw, feel free to ask any questions about Glacier. Eat lots of huckleberry pie, huckleberry ice cream, and huckleberry beer!! :wink:

Thanks for the insight. The time of year is a bit earlier, and I was somewhat concerned. If I need to bring snowshoes, I can definitely do that.

As for huckleberries - a few years ago when I was first thinking about a trip during huckleberry season, I was totally on board with picking some along the trail for some bonus snacks. Now I eat low carb and I'm fat adapted, so they could be a big problem for GI and BG issues (type 1 diabetic and extremely carb sensitive now that I'm eating so low carb).
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday gang!

exercise.png

1/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    2/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    3/1: 3.62 kms (Wk1 D1 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 10 mins Squat Challenge + 5 mins Tabata HIIT
    4/1: 3.64 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 7 mins HIIT
    5/1: 3.64 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K – repeat) + 30 mins yoga + 14 mins HIIT
    6/1: 3.73 kms (Wk1 D3 C25K) + 30 mins yoga
    7/1: Walked 16K+ steps + 4 hours of cleaning (post paint job)
    8/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    9/1: Walked 16K+ steps + 2.5 hours of cleaning (post paint job) - Had to fast for a medical app't in the morning, so no usual workout
    10/1: 3.65 kms (Wk2 D1 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 1 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    11/1: 3.73 kms (Wk2 D2 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 2 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    12/1: 3.70 kms (Wk2 D2 C25K – repeat) + Strength Training (Day 3 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    13/1: 3.80 kms (Wk2 D3 C25K) + Fit Test via FitStar (Day 4 of 30 Day Challenge is Rest) + 30 mins yoga
    14/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    15/1: Walked 11K+ steps
    16/1: Walked 13K+ steps
    17/1: 3.74 kms (Wk3 D1 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 5 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    18/1: 3.73 kms (Wk3 D2 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 6 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    19/1: 3.75 kms (Wk3 D2 C25K – repeat) + Strength Training (Day 7 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    20/1: 3.79 kms (Wk3 D3 C25K) + 30 mins yoga (Day 8 of 30 Challenge is Rest)
  • BeeerRunner
    Options

Thanks for the insight. The time of year is a bit earlier, and I was somewhat concerned. If I need to bring snowshoes, I can definitely do that.

As for huckleberries - a few years ago when I was first thinking about a trip during huckleberry season, I was totally on board with picking some along the trail for some bonus snacks. Now I eat low carb and I'm fat adapted, so they could be a big problem for GI and BG issues (type 1 diabetic and extremely carb sensitive now that I'm eating so low carb).

I think some of the higher elevation trails, such as Grinnell Glacier are closed due to snow melt, instability of the surface, and the chance of falling off a cliff. I don't think you'd have access to certain trails beyond a certain point, even with snow shoes. I would go to TripAdvisor or maybe there's a backpacking forum that could give more info about a June visit. When we hiked that trail last summer it was in August, cold, in the 30s, and we had rain, sun, wind, and sleet.

Sorry to hear about the huckleberries. They are good to snack on. :smile:

You'll love it there no matter what...it's my favorite national park.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    1/4-2.48 miles
    1/5-2.39 miles & Pilates
    1/6-Pilates
    1/7-Rest day
    1/8-Pilates
    1/9-Pilates & 2.5 miles on the treadmill
    1/10-Pilates
    1/11-Pilates & 2.87 miles outside(no knee pain but it was a challenge. I burn so bad)
    1/12-Pilates
    1/13-unintended rest day
    1/14-Rest
    1/15-Rest
    1/16-2.6 miles outside
    1/17-2 Pilates workouts (what was I thinking...I hurt)
    1/18-2.7 miles on treadmill and 7.5 on the bike
    1/19-1.32 miles on treadmill and Pilates workout
    1/20-2.89 miles and hopefully Pilates tonight
    1/21-

exercise.png

Upcoming Races(Not complete-still waiting on MRTC)
    • FedEx St. Jude Classic Fairway 5K - 4/8/2017
    • Bluff City 10k - 5/13/2017
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Saw the doctor this morning about my digestive issues. The nurse who evaluated me at first was pretty amazed at my weight loss. "You were 253 pounds a year ago!" she said. Yep, I was. And now I'm about 80 pounds lighter.

@RespectTheKitty That's fab - can't wait until summer when hopefully I'll get a similar reaction. Joined new surgery last summer and Dr made a remark about my weight - although I was initially very annoyed at how he brought it up, the combination of that remark and some slightly off blood results (mainly cholesterol) was just the spark I needed to kick me into action. Down about 35lbs since then and hopefully will lose another 20lbs or so before my check-up.

Hope the antacids work out for you.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - wow! Amazing weight loss!!!
    @AdrianChr92 - that is beautiful!!! As long as it wasn't too cold.
    @zipsterj - lol on pics. Where is it?

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jan 02     6.5        6.5
    Jan 07     4.3       10.8
    Jan 09     4.3T      15.1
    Jan 12     6.1T      21.2
    Jan 14     7.5       28.7
    Jan 15     6.6       35.3
    Jan 17     5.2T      40.5
    Jan 19     5.4T      45.9
    Jan 20     6.2       52.1

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 Wow! Awesome shot!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 did you see Hound Dog HM was postponed?