Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 nice run!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @zipsterj -Awesome night run! My run this morning was nothing in comparison, but I did get a great view of the sliver of the moon right before the sun peaked over the horizon. It was cool and I wish I had my phone to take a photo.

@dkabambe - I'll bet the Cypress marathon would be amazing. I would definitely look into getting a deferral. I think most marathons will do that for you.

@patrikc333- Welcome home! Sounds like you had quite an adventure. I love running in new and interesting places, especially in foreign countries!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    bmelb1 wrote: »
    Today I scheduled a 6 km run but lost track of time and ended up running over 7. :pI'll have to cut another run short this week so I don't go over my max. mileage for the week. I'm trying to increase my mileage by no more than 10% per week.

@bmelb1 now THAT is some smart self discipline! I wish I could say I was as disciplined.

@OSUbuckeye906 glad you got a PT you like! When I was down last spring I should have tried aquajogging rather than swimming. I nearly drowned myself.

@zipsterj love that you went night running in the woods! When the ice is off the trails here I plan on doing some Friday night long runs in the dark. I love night running, and I love trail running, but I've not done any night trail running yet. I was so close to signing up for a 50 mile ultra in early April which start at midnight, but somehow managed to listen to the smart me instead of the impulsive me and will sign up for the 17 mile trail race instead. I think that's an 8am start. I'll save the midnight run for next year.

@patrikc333 the runs may not have been perfect, but it sounds like running is a great way to tour Japan as long as you're not concerned about pace or dodging bikes. Glad the trip was a nice one.

@lporter229 sounds like you're making great progress towards your goal of a comfortable marathon!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 4 miles
    1/2 - 1.5 miles
    1/3 - 0 miles
    1/4 - 3.5 miles
    1/5 - 3 miles
    1/6 - 4 miles
    1/7 - 2 miles with Skip and Macy
    1/8 - rest day
    1/9 - 0 miles
    1/10 - 4 miles
    1/11 - 2 miles
    1/12 - 3 miles
    1/13 - 0 miles
    1/14 - 5 miles some with Skip
    1/15 - 3 miles
    1/16 - 0 miles meet
    1/17 - 0 miles lazy
    1/18 - 0 miles early doc appt with Skip and I hate the cable man I waited for all day LOL
    1/19 - 4 miles
    1/20 - 4 miles
    1/21 - 0 miles
    1/22 - 6 miles
    1/23 - 0 miles lazy
    1/24 - 4 miles
    1/25 - 4 miles

57 of 100 miles

exercise.png

@lporter229 great run, love your comparison on the two runs. I was thinking the same thing about the moon this morning, I wished I had my phone it looked so pretty.
    @MNlittlefinn glad you are keeping in touch with PT and that during your run you weren't feeling any pain
    @stoshew71 it's funny I saw your DD run and I thought wow it's been a while and then your comments said not since RCM. How did the legs feel today after the gym and DD?
    @OSUBuckeye906 the PT sounds awesome! Skip did aqua running in our pool. It was funny, she took a boating life vest and put her legs in the arm holes by stepping into the vest and fastened it around her butt/hips so she would stay afloat with her feet off the bottom and just did the running motion like she was on the street. She did this when her achilles was injured for 6 weeks 4 times a week and a swore it helped with recovery and a shorter time back to her mileage when she started to run on land.
    @greenolivetree 10:34 is an awesome pace
    @louubelle16 fantastic increase in mileage over a year
    @ddmom0811 the local Fleet Feet has that normate recovery machine. It's very cool. I had to laugh at 47 and gloves, it was 44 here this morning and I wore gloves :smile: I hate cold hands. I did take them off around 2 miles in.
    @zipsterj great pictures
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNlittlefinn glad you are keeping in touch with PT and that during your run you weren't feeling any pain
    Thanks! I figure if I have access to message a PT, I might as well do that. That and, as long as he doesn't tell me not to run, I feel OK keeping going. It helps to keep my hypochondria at bay....LOL. It's just so weird that it's only when I'm NOT running that I have any issues.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks! I figure if I have access to message a PT, I might as well do that. That and, as long as he doesn't tell me not to run, I feel OK keeping going. It helps to keep my hypochondria at bay....LOL. It's just so weird that it's only when I'm NOT running that I have any issues.

@MNLittleFinn For me, this is kind of how I distinguish injury from plain old fatigue. I am always sore in one place or another when I am not running. It kind of goes with the territory of being 44 years old and running relatively high mileage. It's when I am running that I have pain that doesn't go away or increases as I run that alerts me of a possible injury. I don't know if others also find this to be true, but that has been my experience through the years.

ETA: To be clear, I am talking about general nagging soreness and achiness that I can live with. If it's severe pain, by all means, take a break from running.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I took a similar medication for a while that had a sedative effect, and to get out there and do any exercise, coffee will be your new BFF!

I used to be super addicted to coffee. I managed to quit drinking it in favor of tea, but I have a feeling I'll be downing a latte or two in the first few weeks of this new med. :smile:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    5.4 miles last night while during my son's soccer practice. Toward the end I ran a couple strides and realized that I need to do these much more often. It was hard to pick up the pace. With temps around 32F and light wind, I ran in shorts again for the 6th run in a row.

I decided that if the streets aren't icy I'll go for a PR at my HM Saturday. The only tapering I'm doing is to skip my Thursday run for a 2 day rest before the race so I'm not sure I'm up for it. The Daniels' tables predict a 1:49 finish and my PR is 1:56. I'll find the 1:55 pacer and stay with that group until the 10 mile mark then give it whatever I have left if I'm feeling it.

I can across an interesting alternative to heel drops for treating Achilles injury (or injury prevention) I had been doing eccentric heel drops but twice in the past week I've come across recommendations for a better exercise. Running backwards. You land on the ball of your foot and the shock of landing is absorbed by your calf muscles, not unlike the eccentric heel drops, but you get more loading into your Achilles and soleus, as well as helping with foot and ankle strength. Another benefit for me is that I enjoy running backwards much more than the heel drops. When conditions permit, I'm going to start doing these before my run as part of my warmup.

x8ydbkrfo9wp.jpeg

Upcoming Races & Events
    01/28/2017 - Securian Winter Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    04/08/2017 - Zumbro 17M Trail Race - Theilman, MN
    04/29/2017 - Chippewa 50K Trail Race - New Auburn, WI
    05/24/2017 - Endless Summer Trail Running Series, 10K - Eagan, MN
    06/24/2017 - Dan Patch Days 5K - Savage, MN
    07/19/2017 - Torchlight 5K - Minneapolis, MN
    09/??/2017 - Outrun Hunger 5K - Savage, MN
    10/07/2017 - Big Woods Run Trail Half Marathon - Nerstrand, MN
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn For me, this is kind of how I distinguish injury from plain old fatigue. I am always sore in one place or another when I am not running. It kind of goes with the territory of being 44 years old and running relatively high mileage. It's when I am running that I have pain that doesn't go away or increases as I run that alerts me of a possible injury. I don't know if others also find this to be true, but that has been my experience through the years.

ETA: To be clear, I am talking about general nagging soreness and achiness that I can live with. If it's severe pain, by all means, take a break from running.

Thanks. I'm about 10 years behind you (34 as of today), but have taken a lot of abuse from soccer. It's never severe pain, just nagging a lot.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    January Running Challenge:

1/1: 19 miles
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: BodyPump and 30 minutes of stair stepper
    1/4: 5.8 miles of a 10 mile planned run. Cut short due to knee pain
    1/5 Unplanned rest day
    1/6 2.2 mile walk, 30 minutes elliptical, Strength: upper body and core
    1/7 8.2 miles
    1/8 20 miles
    1/9 45 minutes light strength and 45 minute walk
    1/10 15 minutes of stationary bike, 20 minutes of Elliptical, 45 minutes strength
    1/11 57 minutes of walking (3.5 miles), 52 minutes of strength
    1/12 48 minutes of stationary bike, 30 minutes of strength
    1/13 Planned rest day
    1/14 6 mile run, knee felt so much better
    1/15 12 mile run
    1/16 5 mile run
    1/17 40 minutes / 11 miles on stationary bike
    1/18 5 mile run
    1/19 10 mile run
    1/20 Rest Day
    1/21 10 mile run and runner’s yoga
    1/22 20 mile run and runner’s yoga
    1/23 30 minutes of stationary bike and strength
    1/24 2 runs in 1 day! Short 2.3 mile run at lunch to test my new Altra Torins, 4 mile run after work

Goal: 132.3 of 170

Upcoming Races:

Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26 (Registered)
    XTERRA ATX Trail Run (21K) Apr 23 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run (HM at night) May 27 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)

Got my new Altra Torins yesterday. I've never had so much toe room...Love it! Getting used to the 0 drop but so far, so good. Took them out for a longer run after my son's soccer practice. Since my knee was feeling good, I decided I'd do miles 2 and 3 at a faster pace. I guess it's like buying a new car and putting the pedal to the metal...Lol! They worked, my knee didn't hurt and I'll take it easy the rest of the week. :smirk:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 it's funny I saw your DD run and I thought wow it's been a while and then your comments said not since RCM. How did the legs feel today after the gym and DD?

Sore. Mostly still sore from the Hound Dog practice run and the leg work in the gym yesterday. But the legs felt better after the recovery run this morning.

I believe tomorrow is Cabela hill repeats with the PPounders. Hopefully my legs will be recovered enough to do them well.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Or if the soreness is so bad, it forces you to run with bad form, then it's better to not run at all. Also, if the pain is sharp, get it looked at immediately.

It's really interesting how I can feel all sorts of terrible, awful things both mentally and physically during the day, yet when I'm running it just all seems to melt away. Even my stomach pain and headaches go away for the time that I'm running.

What's the chances of them setting up a treadmill in your office so you can run while you're working? :wink:

7lenny7 wrote: »
    With temps around 32F and light wind, I ran in shorts again for the 6th run in a row.

Going to have to rename you to SonicDeathLenny if you keep wearing shorts in that cold weather.

Guck luck on your Half this Saturday. Sounds like you should PR easily.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

I can across an interesting alternative to heel drops for treating Achilles injury (or injury prevention) I had been doing eccentric heel drops but twice in the past week I've come across recommendations for a better exercise. Running backwards. You land on the ball of your foot and the shock of landing is absorbed by your calf muscles, not unlike the eccentric heel drops, but you get more loading into your Achilles and soleus, as well as helping with foot and ankle strength. Another benefit for me is that I enjoy running backwards much more than the heel drops. When conditions permit, I'm going to start doing these before my run as part of my warmup.

Before Skip was allowed to run forwards, she had to run backwards around the track for her Achilles. When she feels it talking to her after a hard workout she will at least walk or fast walk the track backwards for a couple of laps.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Today actually was cardio day at the gym which involved 30 mins elliptical, 15 mins on the bike, 10 mins uphill walk (treadmill) and 10 mins rowing so although still went through the machines stayed a bit longer on each this time :)

In addition I decided to run a mile on the treadmill at a quick (for me) pace of about 8mins, even though running wasn't part of my plan today. Probably overdid it a bit as went fairly hard on most machines, but guess we'll see when I do get back outside for proper running tomorrow.

exercise.png
    3-Jan: 11.49k [6.7k MP + 4.8k easy - suffering with cold]
    4-Jan: 5.3k treadmill intervals [TM]
    5-Jan: 12.9k MP (slight hills)
    6-Jan: 5.2k treadmill tempo + 2.2k treadmill intervals [TM]
    7-Jan: 5.8k + 6.1k 'tired' runs (slightly slower than MP)
    11-Jan: 24.2k long run
    16-Jan: 5.6k MP
    17-Jan: 10.6k Fast
    18-Jan: 13.1k Easy
    20-Jan: 14.6k MP
    21-Jan: 8.5k MP
    22-Jan: 6.3k MP
    23-Jan: 8.7k MP
    24-Jan: 1.7k TM
    25-Jan: 1.6k TM
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    @dkabambe The area looks beautiful. It's one of my dreams to take a runcation.

Running is gradually getting better for me. I have to remind myself that I'm carrying an extra 30 pounds that I didn't have the last time I did this but I'm feeling the breakthrough mentally. Today, I didn't just want to stop and sit on the curb. I'm still working on my basics and making sure that I'm taking care of myself after every run and not rushing back to my desk to work.

1/4-2.48 miles
    1/5-2.39 miles & Pilates
    1/6-Pilates
    1/7-Rest day
    1/8-Pilates
    1/9-Pilates & 2.5 miles on the treadmill
    1/10-Pilates
    1/11-Pilates & 2.87 miles outside(no knee pain but it was a challenge. I burn so bad)
    1/12-Pilates
    1/13-unintended rest day
    1/14-Rest
    1/15-Rest
    1/16-2.6 miles outside
    1/17-2 Pilates workouts (what was I thinking...I hurt)
    1/18-2.7 miles on treadmill and 7.5 on the bike
    1/19-1.32 miles on treadmill and Pilates workout
    1/20-2.89 miles and hopefully Pilates tonight
    1/21-3.07 miles
    1/22-Rest day
    1/23-2.06 miles running & Pilates
    1/24-1 hour of Pilates
    1/25-3.11 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Races(Not complete-still waiting on MRTC)
    FedEx St. Jude Classic Fairway 5K - 4/8/2017
    Bluff City 10k - 5/13/2017
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Before Skip was allowed to run forwards, she had to run backwards around the track for her Achilles. When she feels it talking to her after a hard workout she will at least walk or fast walk the track backwards for a couple of laps.

I go forwards and backwards in some indoor workouts, so I'm glad to know it's useful to go backwards (vs just jogging in place).

No running for me today. And not sure yet what my schedule is tomorrow. Definitely Fri/Sat/Sun running :)

@RespectTheKitty I'm glad you feel so much better while running.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Aim: 100k

8/1: 5.7K
    12/1: 2.6k
    14/1: 10.4k
    15/1: 1.6k
    16/1: 5k
    18/1: 3.3k.
    19/1: 15k
    20/1: 2.6k (warmup for strength training)
    21/1: 10.3k various surfaces: asphalt-beach-gravel
    23/1: 3k (warmup for strength training)
    24/1: 13.8k (w/u-intervals-c/d)
    25/1: 2k (warmup for strength training)

75.3/100k

Stay free of injuries!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    After several Emails back and forth to my PT, he wants me to keep icing my leg and start doing some calf raises in addition to the stretching. This got me to wondering, maybe, with him having me do the static stretching, I neglected the strength for that leg, and now I'm feeling the repercussions of that, with my new calf/shin pain.

Yeah, that's the way I typically learn the value of strength training. Get hurt, and realize I've been skimping on the exercise that strengthens what got hurt. Trying to break that cycle before I learn the hard way that squats are necessary.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 – 10.39 warmup, 7.5 mile race, cool down
    1/2 – 2.12 easy cross country
    1/3 – 8.58 warmup, tempo intervals
    1/4 – 5.01 easy
    1/5 – 5.99 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 – rest day
    1/7 – 16.59 warmup + Winter Warrior Half Marathon
    1/8 – 7.62 easy on indoor track
    1/9 – 6.51 easy
    1/10 – 6.02 warmup + MP
    1/11 – 6.20 mostly easy
    1/12 – 9.01 warm up, speed work, cool down
    1/13 – rest day
    1/14 – 15.88 warm up, 5 mile race, post-race easy run
    1/15 – 10.06 easy with hills
    1/16 – 6.83 easy plus 4 strides
    1/17 – 8.02 warm up, speed work, cool down
    1/18 – 7.04 group run
    1/19 – 7.67 warmup, speed work
    1/20 – rest day
    1/21 – 16.16 easy
    1/22 – 7.63 one hour easy
    1/23 – 6.50 easy
    1/24 – 8.23 warm up, speed work, cool down
    1/25 – impromptu rest day

January total to date – 178.06

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Train toward Boston, working 3 Freezeroo races plus Winter Warrior Half into the training plan. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – Checking in for accountability. Today is the toughest training day of the marathon training cycle so far. I'm not running.

After yesterday's failure to run the assigned speed intervals, this morning I felt pretty beat up. Might have felt better if I'd slept another hour, but I had to be up to make it to my scheduled podiatrist visit. Got through my morning routine, skipping the KB work and the calf raises in favor of shoveling the driveway. Made the executive decision that this feels like training too hard, and it's time for a rest day.

I am not injured. I got the hour of sleep back with a nap this afternoon. I feel pretty good right now. The porch thermometer says it's 41º F (5º C) outside. The snow has melted off the roads. The wind is reasonable. I could go run in the daylight. I could wait a couple hours, and go to the social run in the evening for 6 or 7 miles. I feel good enough. I am not injured.

But . . . I want to remain uninjured. I really did feel beat up this morning, and I've had a couple days of not feeling the run well mentally. It's time. The training plan allows rest days on any day assigned as "easy." There is no hard rule that my rest day always has to be Friday, that just works out well administratively most of the time.

So . . . rest day today. I'll see how I feel tomorrow, and adjust the weekly training plan accordingly.

Dang, sitting and *not running* when I'm not hurt is hard.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship 8K (Bend, OR)
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)