I got rid of the protein shake. Anyone else?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I do 1/2 scoop of chocolate and 1/2 scoop of caramel with my cold brew coffee every morning.

Tastes like Starbucks, under 200 calories, and I am full until lunch. Yuuuummmm.

Could you share which brands you use, and how you get it to dissolve smoothly in your cold coffee?

I haven't done protein shakes since my first jar finished. I much prefer eating my calories

Dissolving protein powder--it's easier if at first, you just add a little liquid and stir, then add a little more and stir again, then add the rest.

I end up with sludge at the bottom of my coffee cup.

But maybe its because I'm doing it wrong. I add soy milk, then 1/3 scoop protein powder then mix then add coffee. I will try adding it slower and see if that helps. Thanks!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I do 1/2 scoop of chocolate and 1/2 scoop of caramel with my cold brew coffee every morning.

Tastes like Starbucks, under 200 calories, and I am full until lunch. Yuuuummmm.

Could you share which brands you use, and how you get it to dissolve smoothly in your cold coffee?

I haven't done protein shakes since my first jar finished. I much prefer eating my calories

Dissolving protein powder--it's easier if at first, you just add a little liquid and stir, then add a little more and stir again, then add the rest.

I end up with sludge at the bottom of my coffee cup.

But maybe its because I'm doing it wrong. I add soy milk, then 1/3 scoop protein powder then mix then add coffee. I will try adding it slower and see if that helps. Thanks!

Try very little liquid at first, and stir into a cream, then add a little more. I can only compare it to adding flour when you're trying to make gravy, and don't want lumps.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    A few seconds with a hand immersion blender gets rid of any lumps and makes it nice and frothy. Just make sure to add as little water as possible before blending, or else you'll end up with more on your walls and ceiling than whats left in your cup, been there done that..
  • kgates121
    kgates121 Posts: 21 Member
    I added Arbonne protein powder to my regular fruit and green smoothie. It was very good, and has many benefits, but I gained between 8-10 lbs within a few weeks. I think for me the high sugar content was adverse for me. I am back to my 3-4 cups spinach, 1 lg apple 1/2 t cinnamon, 2 T flax and I add water as I don't like a thick smoothie.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    zetta_22 wrote: »
    I love my chocolate peanut butter protein powder, I make dessert with it most every night. It is more filling and has better macros and less calories than the usual dessert type foods I'd usually go for.

What protein powder do you use?

Optimum nutrition choc/peanut butter casein.

Quest chocolate protein powder and quest peanut butter are yummy mixed together too.

I'm waiting on an order of Myprotein chocolate/peanut butter isolate to arrive, i hope it tastes good!

Obviously i have issues with chocolate and peanut butter :lol: they're my favourite combo.
    I don't think I've ever seen you post without mentioning chocolate and peanut butter :D

J/k .... Optimum Nutrition has some of the best tasting powders in my humble opinion :)

Lol I know :blushing: I've just about made it my life's mission to find the best tasting PP. They're so expensive, and I'm not willing to waste a cent on something that tastes just ok or that i have to chug down with my eyes squeezed shut!
    I so look forward to my little dessert concoctions every night, and a small bowl is enough, whereas if i had a pack of those those evil little Reeses pieces or snickers minis sitting there, i'd be walking back and forth to the pantry aallll night, until i rid my house of them :lol:

I ran out of my usual PP a few days ago, as i'm waiting on my order to arrive, and the bowl of yogurt and cottage cheese i've been having just isn't the same... Le sigh.
    My wife :D She gets annoyed with me for teasing her over the back and forth lol.

I purchased a $39usd gold membership for GNC a while back. Reason being the 2lb gold standard ON whey is $29, minus the 10% discount minus the $10 per purchase I get every single week with the occasional extra discount makes the PP very affordable. Plus the store is literally 1 mile from my house.

I got the chocolate this time. I don't normally do desserts with it, but I think I'm going to start. :)
  • Christine_72
    1kg (2lbs) of the decent protein powders all start at $60 here, it's bloody ridiculous. I've tried the cheaper ones and the taste is just as bad as the ingredients. I looked into Isopure, but at $37 for 500g that got put back on the shelf quick smart!

I paid around $35 for 1 kg of Myprotein pp, but i placed that order on the 15th of December and it's still not here yet. I stupidly thought they had a distribution warehouse here in Aus, but noooooo it's getting shipped straight from England. It will arrive this year some time, i guess..

@Cylphin60 Google protein sludge or protein fluff, these 2 are my faves and you can use so many combos.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited January 2017
    1kg (2lbs) of the decent protein powders all start at $60 here, it's bloody ridiculous. I've tried the cheaper ones and the taste is just as bad as the ingredients. I looked into Isopure, but at $37 for 500g that got put back on the shelf quick smart!

I paid around $35 for 1 kg of Myprotein pp, but i placed that order on the 15th of December and it's still not here yet. I stupidly thought they had a distribution warehouse here in Aus, but noooooo it's getting shipped straight from England. It will arrive this year some time, i guess..

@Cylphin60 Google protein sludge or protein fluff, these 2 are my faves and you can use so many combos.

$60 ye Gads...then I saw where you were. Ouch that hurts. And I'll look those up - Thank you!

EDIT: Uh oh...those look good, the fluff looks really good lol.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I love my protein fluff desserts, but that protein "fudge" Gallowmere posted is looking mighty fine. I need to find a good tasting chocolate gluten free protein powder. I don't like Quest's chocolate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited January 2017
    neato...
  • leanjogreen18
    I love my protein fluff desserts, but that protein "fudge" Gallowmere posted is looking mighty fine. I need to find a good tasting chocolate gluten free protein powder. I don't like Quest's chocolate.

I believe Vega & Olly make gluten free. Not sure about how the chocolate tastes though I usually get vanilla. I might try Gallow's "fudge" too. He turned me on to a website that had a lot of sludge recipes and I want to try them.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited January 2017

I believe Vega & Olly make gluten free. Not sure about how the chocolate tastes though I usually get vanilla. I might try Gallow's "fudge" too. He turned me on to a website that had a lot of sludge recipes and I want to try them.

Never heard of Olly before. I remember deciding for a reason to not try Vega before, but I can't remember what the reason was now. I just remember it was a good reason. Because I did look into it.

I'm going to do some snooping around about Olly now. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Just looked up Olly. I think the reason I decided against Vega, and the reason I'm going to nope out of Olly are one and the same. I cannot stand pea protein. There will be no masking it. I'm generally not a picky person, and I really tried hard to like it, but I just can't.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

I do what I can to spread the word of the wonder that is sludge. I honestly feel bad for people who are stuck on believing the protein powder is just for making boring shakes. I honestly think I could live on nothing but protein powders, water, and a few miscellaneous incredients.

I make sludge, fluff, mugcakes, pancakes, about four types of baked goods, and god knows how many types of frozen goodies using whey, casein, MPC, and random stuff I have laying around.
  • leanjogreen18

I do what I can to spread the word of the wonder that is sludge. I honestly feel bad for people who are stuck on believing the protein powder is just for making boring shakes. I honestly think I could live on nothing but protein powders, water, and a few miscellaneous incredients.

I make sludge, fluff, mugcakes, pancakes, about four types of baked goods, and god knows how many types of frozen goodies using whey, casein, MPC, and random stuff I have laying around.

@Gallowmere1984 - I'm glad you showed up...what was that website again that the sludge recipes looked so delicious, desert like? I didn't bookmark it:(
  • Christine_72
    ^^^ Yes^^^ I dont think I've ever had protein powder the traditional way, just mixed with water or milk in a shaker cup. You can make all sorts of delicious things with it.
  • Gallowmere1984

@Gallowmere1984 - I'm glad you showed up...what was that website again that the sludge recipes looked so delicious, desert like? I didn't bookmark it:(

Google search bodybuilding.com sludge eating now

There's two really long threads.
  • Christine_72
    edited January 2017
  • GottaBurnEmAll

Oh, I love me a good protein mug cake.
  • AutumnDraidean
    AutumnDraidean Posts: 23 Member
    I always wonder how much sugar protein powders have...and how much sugar the ones that actually taste good have.
  • Gallowmere1984
    I always wonder how much sugar protein powders have...and how much sugar the ones that actually taste good have.

Mine have almost none, other than the inherent lactose. They use sucralose and ace k as sweeteners, with artificial flavorings altering the tastes.
  • Teresa_Yvette
    Teresa_Yvette Posts: 7 Member
    Shakes are the way I reach my protein goals. I hate cooking. I get it though. Most of the protein powders are way too sweet for me. I usually mix the them with a little tart unsweetened juice or cocoa powder or add it to oatmeal. I'm not a big coffee drinker but sounds cool. I would do it black. I've even mixed them with diet soda. Tastes kind of like an ice cream float.