I got rid of the protein shake. Anyone else?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I always wonder how much sugar protein powders have...and how much sugar the ones that actually taste good have.

The ones i use have 1-2g of sugar per serve
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I always wonder how much sugar protein powders have...and how much sugar the ones that actually taste good have.

Taste is subjective but the Vega I use has 2g of sugar.

hope that helps.
  • AutumnDraidean
    AutumnDraidean Posts: 23 Member
    That's an acceptable amount of sugar. Sometimes you pick up a nutrition/energy bar that's supposed to be protein but it has 18g sugar, those are the ones I put right back down again.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017

Next to none. Maybe a gram or 2.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    That's an acceptable amount of sugar. Sometimes you pick up a nutrition/energy bar that's supposed to be protein but it has 18g sugar, those are the ones I put right back down again.

Oh yeah, most bars are bleh. Powders tend to be a totally different story though. Just stay away from the premixed shakes, and you'll be fine. There's nothing wrong with sugar, but I am not paying protein shake money for glorified chocolate milk.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited January 2017

Oh yeah, most bars are bleh. Powders tend to be a totally different story though. Just stay away from the premixed shakes, and you'll be fine. There's nothing wrong with sugar, but I am not paying protein shake money for glorified chocolate milk.

Honestly, I'd rather make my own bars. You can take a whey/casein mix and bind it together with almond milk (if you're cutting) or use nut butter if you've got the calories.. and then just throw in whatever you like. They need to be stored in the fridge, but meh. Who cares.

Quest peanut butter powder with mini chocolate chips in it makes a pretty good bar made this way.

Edit: one of these days I want to experiment with binding one together with pumpkin puree to make a pumpkin spice bar. These are no-bake, btw. It might need some coconut flour to soak up some of the moisture.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I can easily hit my protein goals without the need for shakes. It just means I get to eat more chicken drumsticks.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I love my protein fluff desserts, but that protein "fudge" Gallowmere posted is looking mighty fine. I need to find a good tasting chocolate gluten free protein powder. I don't like Quest's chocolate.

NLA for Her is gluten free. I found the chocolate to be more cinnamon than chocolate, though. It wasn't bad but I wanted a more chocolatey flavor.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I love my protein fluff desserts, but that protein "fudge" Gallowmere posted is looking mighty fine. I need to find a good tasting chocolate gluten free protein powder. I don't like Quest's chocolate.

NLA for Her is gluten free. I found the chocolate to be more cinnamon than chocolate, though. It wasn't bad but I wanted a more chocolatey flavor.

Did you take your profile pic after trying it @RunsOnEspresso ? :lol:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited January 2017

I could add cocoa powder, but I'm looking for something pretty chocolatey. I've read good things about PES chocolate cupcake, and I've been waiting for it to hit Amazon.

Edit: I just checked, they have it! I'm going to order some!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member

I believe Vega & Olly make gluten free. Not sure about how the chocolate tastes though I usually get vanilla. I might try Gallow's "fudge" too. He turned me on to a website that had a lot of sludge recipes and I want to try them.

I do what I can to spread the word of the wonder that is sludge. I honestly feel bad for people who are stuck on believing the protein powder is just for making boring shakes. I honestly think I could live on nothing but protein powders, water, and a few miscellaneous incredients.

I make sludge, fluff, mugcakes, pancakes, about four types of baked goods, and god knows how many types of frozen goodies using whey, casein, MPC, and random stuff I have laying around.

You'll pry my protein powder out of my cold dead hands. I make shakes with it. I cook with it. I mix it in oatmeal and muffins and pancakes. I use it in fruit smoothies and green smoothies and in my water during workouts. Food's okay, sure, but there's no way I can eat enough chicken breast to support my workouts. To me, saying "Yay, I stopped using protein powder!" makes about as much sense as saying "Yay, I stopped taking vitamins!" Go you, I guess, but that's a lot of food you're talking about, and when you're my height and age, "a lot of food" and "maintaining a reasonable weight" are not compatible goals.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

I believe Vega & Olly make gluten free. Not sure about how the chocolate tastes though I usually get vanilla. I might try Gallow's "fudge" too. He turned me on to a website that had a lot of sludge recipes and I want to try them.

I do what I can to spread the word of the wonder that is sludge. I honestly feel bad for people who are stuck on believing the protein powder is just for making boring shakes. I honestly think I could live on nothing but protein powders, water, and a few miscellaneous incredients.

I make sludge, fluff, mugcakes, pancakes, about four types of baked goods, and god knows how many types of frozen goodies using whey, casein, MPC, and random stuff I have laying around.

You'll pry my protein powder out of my cold dead hands. I make shakes with it. I cook with it. I mix it in oatmeal and muffins and pancakes. I use it in fruit smoothies and green smoothies and in my water during workouts. Food's okay, sure, but there's no way I can eat enough chicken breast to support my workouts. To me, saying "Yay, I stopped using protein powder!" makes about as much sense as saying "Yay, I stopped taking vitamins!" Go you, I guess, but that's a lot of food you're talking about, and when you're my height and age, "a lot of food" and "maintaining a reasonable weight" are not compatible goals.
    I think you quoted the wrong person lol. Gallowmere is ALL about PP for everything.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    i've taken them every day for the past 6 years, i see no reason to stop.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 836 Member
    Good for you! Figuring out what works for you and what doesn't is one of the most important lessons to learn when losing weight :)

I like the Core Power Vanilla protein drink, but I don't have it very often. Usually I only grab one if I'm feeling a bit under the weather at work after a tough workout.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited January 2017
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

I think you quoted the wrong person lol. Gallowmere is ALL about PP for everything.

Ohhhh yeah. I currently have something like 70 kg. of it kicking around, adding up all of the types.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    edited January 2017
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I do 1/2 scoop of chocolate and 1/2 scoop of caramel with my cold brew coffee every morning.

Tastes like Starbucks, under 200 calories, and I am full until lunch. Yuuuummmm.

Could you share which brands you use, and how you get it to dissolve smoothly in your cold coffee?

I haven't done protein shakes since my first jar finished. I much prefer eating my calories

The lowest calorie one I could find on my grocery store shelf that wasn't too expensive! Its Six Star Whey Isolate.

I put about half a cup of coffee and the protein powder and shake the bejeesus out of it.

Then fill with ice and top off my blender bottle with coffee. No real secret for me!
  • zetta_22 wrote: »
    I love my chocolate peanut butter protein powder, I make dessert with it most every night. It is more filling and has better macros and less calories than the usual dessert type foods I'd usually go for.

What protein powder do you use?

Optimum nutrition choc/peanut butter casein.

Quest chocolate protein powder and quest peanut butter are yummy mixed together too.

I'm waiting on an order of Myprotein chocolate/peanut butter isolate to arrive, i hope it tastes good!

Obviously i have issues with chocolate and peanut butter :lol: they're my favourite combo.

I've been doing a mix of the two things you mentioned for my new favorite.

30g Quest PB powder
    60g MyProtein Chocolate casein
    Water to pudding like consistency
    28g mixed nuts broken up
    100g mixed raspberries, strawberries and blueberries

Freeze for two to three hours, stirring and breaking up every 30 minutes or so. It ends up making a frozen nut and berry "fudge". My god, it's so good.

9nqnn10ngva9.jpg

Ahh protein sludge! If you throw in the fruits frozen itll create that same feeling without having to deal with the stirring and time. Used to be my go to for breakfast... dip some rice cakes in it A+
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Never. I do go through phases where I have a protein drink every day to maybe once a month or less, but I like them overall and will keep them in my life forever. I usually drink my mix of protein powder and water hot, so that it's like hot chocolate. Also, I live alone for a majority of the year, and when I get a random craving for cereal, buying milk is a poor choice financially since I don't use or drink milk very often and the milk may expire before I want cereal again. So, I mix protein and water and use that as my milk. It also makes the cereal taste 10x better. Hitting macros and micros with cereal and saving money.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited January 2017
    zetta_22 wrote: »
    I love my chocolate peanut butter protein powder, I make dessert with it most every night. It is more filling and has better macros and less calories than the usual dessert type foods I'd usually go for.

Quest chocolate protein powder and quest peanut butter are yummy mixed together too.

I'm waiting on an order of Myprotein chocolate/peanut butter isolate to arrive, i hope it tastes good!

Obviously i have issues with chocolate and peanut butter :lol: they're my favourite combo.

30g Quest PB powder
    28g mixed nuts broken up

Freeze for two to three hours, stirring and breaking up every 30 minutes or so. It ends up making a frozen nut and berry "fudge". My god, it's so good.

9nqnn10ngva9.jpg

Ahh protein sludge! If you throw in the fruits frozen itll create that same feeling without having to deal with the stirring and time. Used to be my go to for breakfast... dip some rice cakes in it A+

The fruits are frozen. I freeze it because I want the whole thing solid, like an actual fudge. The more sludges I make, the more I find that certain ones are better frozen, and others are awesome made with SF syrups instead of water, and microwaved into a brownie type of thing. Others still are best at room temp, or just slightly refrigerated.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    zetta_22 wrote: »

30g Quest PB powder
    28g mixed nuts broken up

9nqnn10ngva9.jpg

The fruits are frozen. I freeze it because I want the whole thing solid, like an actual fudge. The more sludges I make, the more I find that certain ones are better frozen, and others are awesome made with SF syrups instead of water, and microwaved into a brownie type of thing. Others still are best at room temp, or just slightly refrigerated.

You need to start sharing more recipes.