I got rid of the protein shake. Anyone else?

rikkejanell2014
rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition

I didn't like them. I always thought is it important to take after working out however after research i feel i don't need it since i hit my protien goals with food everyday. Thank God because they were gross and taking up calories.

[Post edited by mfp mod]

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. I happen to like my protein shake, although for me it is a quick easy meal that fills me up.
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. I happen to like my protein shake, although for me it is a quick easy meal that fills me up.

Yea i thought it was important after each work out so thats the only reason i took it. I never liked it.
  • BlackSpida34
    BlackSpida34 Posts: 29 Member
    Nice work Janell. Thanks for sharing. If u feel that u don't need em, don't take em. Simple as that. There is no need for anyone to feel offended by that.
  • zetta_22
    zetta_22 Posts: 2 Member
    I love my chocolate peanut butter protein powder, I make dessert with it most every night. It is more filling and has better macros and less calories than the usual dessert type foods I'd usually go for.

What protein powder do you use?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I do 1/2 scoop of chocolate and 1/2 scoop of caramel with my cold brew coffee every morning.

Tastes like Starbucks, under 200 calories, and I am full until lunch. Yuuuummmm.

Could you share which brands you use, and how you get it to dissolve smoothly in your cold coffee?

I haven't done protein shakes since my first jar finished. I much prefer eating my calories
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    zetta_22 wrote: »
    I love my chocolate peanut butter protein powder, I make dessert with it most every night. It is more filling and has better macros and less calories than the usual dessert type foods I'd usually go for.

Optimum nutrition choc/peanut butter casein.

Quest chocolate protein powder and quest peanut butter are yummy mixed together too.

I'm waiting on an order of Myprotein chocolate/peanut butter isolate to arrive, i hope it tastes good!

Obviously i have issues with chocolate and peanut butter :lol: they're my favourite combo.

• MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    When every calorie counts, you never want to be wasting any on food you don't even enjoy.
    However, you definitely want what you eat to be protein-rich, regardless whether or not you train or whether or not you're trying to lose some weight, it's the key thing to maintaining your lean muscle mass (the parts of your body that aren't fat) and helps to stop you feeling hungry.
    I can recommend the Impact Whey Protein range from MyProtein, I've been drinking protein shakes based on them for almost a year. I haven't tried every flavour as there are many to choose from (something like 25+), but you're sure to find at least one you like.
    Personally I didn't find the unflavoured version so good as it is truly bland. Of course the idea is that it doesn't have flavour so you can add fruit/veg/whatever to create your own flavour, but I found it needs a lot of help to taste of anything at all.
    You can always find discount codes online for MyProtein (like 35% off) so never feel you have to pay the standard price if you order from them.
    MyProtein also do a dessert mix tailored for ladies (added vitamins and minerals) that gives a useful 17g boost of protein from just 100 calories in one serving. A great addition/alternative to consider.
    The recommendation to have something like a protein shake within an hour of exercising is very solid advice as your muscles can really use that extra protein to repair (and grow if you're training).
    Just because you can get "enough" protein from the rest of what you normally eat shouldn't be considered a reason to stop - your muscles will still be needing that extra boost of protein after exercise, it's simply a choice you make as to whether or not you maximise the gains from the exercise you do.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I have never ever taken any overpriced and unnecessary protein shakes. Used to work for a producer and had to taste them before the real stuff was added to the bulking fluff It is horrid.
    As for required after work out,maybe if you are in the real Bodybuilding competitions, but not for normal people.

I am just as skeptical about deleting food(groups) from my plate because they get crucified as adding the latest food craze stuff because it is a must, whereas we've done without for the whole of evolution
  • JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I do 1/2 scoop of chocolate and 1/2 scoop of caramel with my cold brew coffee every morning.

Tastes like Starbucks, under 200 calories, and I am full until lunch. Yuuuummmm.

Could you share which brands you use, and how you get it to dissolve smoothly in your cold coffee?

I haven't done protein shakes since my first jar finished. I much prefer eating my calories

Can't go off what brand they use but when I do Ice coffee I always used MTS whey, whichever flavor I felt like using. Getting it to dissolve the same way you'd do it in water, shaker cup or blender.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    No reason you can't get the protein you need from real food!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    A decent shake is important to me, as a supplement when I need it. I'm a little older, and doing a combination of strength and endurance training while on a deficit, so hitting that protein macro is important for me.

That said, my wife and I usually know what we're going to be eating ahead of time, and if we decide on a course that's going to leave me short, I supplement with a shake.

All that out of the way OP, if you're getting what you need each day through your diet, or even if not, it's your choice. No reason at all anyone should be offended or feel argumentative over it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Good for you! :flowerforyou:
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member

Quest chocolate protein powder and quest peanut butter are yummy mixed together too.

I'm waiting on an order of Myprotein chocolate/peanut butter isolate to arrive, i hope it tastes good!

Obviously i have issues with chocolate and peanut butter :lol: they're my favourite combo.
    I don't think I've ever seen you post without mentioning chocolate and peanut butter :D

J/k .... Optimum Nutrition has some of the best tasting powders in my humble opinion :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017

I've been doing a mix of the two things you mentioned for my new favorite.

30g Quest PB powder
    60g MyProtein Chocolate casein
    Water to pudding like consistency
    28g mixed nuts broken up
    100g mixed raspberries, strawberries and blueberries

Freeze for two to three hours, stirring and breaking up every 30 minutes or so. It ends up making a frozen nut and berry "fudge". My god, it's so good.

9nqnn10ngva9.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

I don't think I've ever seen you post without mentioning chocolate and peanut butter :D

J/k .... Optimum Nutrition has some of the best tasting powders in my humble opinion :)

Lol I know :blushing: I've just about made it my life's mission to find the best tasting PP. They're so expensive, and I'm not willing to waste a cent on something that tastes just ok or that i have to chug down with my eyes squeezed shut!
    I so look forward to my little dessert concoctions every night, and a small bowl is enough, whereas if i had a pack of those those evil little Reeses pieces or snickers minis sitting there, i'd be walking back and forth to the pantry aallll night, until i rid my house of them :lol:

I ran out of my usual PP a few days ago, as i'm waiting on my order to arrive, and the bowl of yogurt and cottage cheese i've been having just isn't the same... Le sigh.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Dissolving protein powder--it's easier if at first, you just add a little liquid and stir, then add a little more and stir again, then add the rest.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Dissolving protein powder--it's easier if at first, you just add a little liquid and stir, then add a little more and stir again, then add the rest.

This doesn't even sound noisy, either! Thank you, it's very nice to have this option in addition to blenders et al (thanks to the previous poster, too)