Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    JFT Sunday
    1. Water
    2. Thea's birthday party!
    3. Pick up supplies for business trip
    4. Get back on track
    5. Brush and floss
    6. Bed by 10:30

I'm home again. It was a great retreat. Very productive. It's the one time per year that I get time apart, someone cooks for us, I do what I want or for that matter, don't do what I don't want. My main retreat goal this year, and I always take too much, was to finish the quilt I've been making for my own bed. It went well. :) All I have left is to quilt the border and bind!
    I didn't take junk food but, not having total control over what to eat, I'm sure I have some salt and fat overload. Up several pounds. :/ Next week will be better again.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,116 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm so happy to be back! The last few weeks have been just overwhelming. Friday I said goodbye to a company I had worked for for 23 1/2 years. Do you know how much crap a person can accumulate in their desk over 23 years? OMG! I had to get my projects caught up to hand off. Packed my desk. Taught my normal classes. I was working day and night, weekends too. It's been crazy. I took off 2 weeks between jobs and it hasn't sunk in yet that I don't have to work this weekend and that I won't be going back there tomorrow. This is life-changing for me and my husband both. We spent the whole day together yesterday. We had a birthday party for our granddaughter, then went to dinner and a movie. It has been a very long time since we had a day like that! I'm still physically feeling tired and not feeling quite "healthy", but I do feel happy right now.

Welcome to the new faces I see on here today! So happy to have you join us! You have some great goals!

Just for Sunday:
    1. Journal every bite and stay in the green
    2. 80 oz of water
    3. Meal plan for week
    4. Plan healthy snacks
    5. Start cutting fabric for baby quilt to send to (BEX) :smiley:
    6. Reach my FitBit step goal
    7. Read success stories and look for ideas to incorporate into my new lifestyle.
    8. Listen to today's podcasts
    9. Read today's chapter for Simple Abundance book, write in my gratitude journal before bed.
    10. Start a "donate" box and declutter (Goal is a box a week.)

When you think about quitting, think about why you started.

Yay quilt! I’m so excited haha!

I’m about to start a project myself.

Making a bag out of denim jeans.

My partner has binned loads of jeans that didn’t fit him right, and I’ve decided to make bags out of them!

Basically cut the bag just below the crotch and sew that shut. And then use the legs to make handles. You can Pinterest it if you want to see what I mean!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,222 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »

My partner has binned loads of jeans that didn’t fit him right, and I’ve decided to make bags out of them!

Basically cut the bag just below the crotch and sew that shut. And then use the legs to make handles. You can Pinterest it if you want to see what I mean!

Bex - that is a great way to use up jeans - I love jean bags !!! Another way to use them up is to make "rag quilts" --- super easy, and people LOVE them! they are so warm and sturdy! I make a lot of them to distribute to homeless shelters, but if you are selling things on craftsy, they sell really good as well. (all you do is cut squares (usually 10"), sew them together with a 3/4" seam, clip all the edges, and wash. The edges fray, and they make a beautiful quilt! I pair them sometimes with old flannel shirts.
    bwbil6ax9ijk.jpg

@bcTRAI Sounds like a wonderful retreat!!! Was this a quilting retreat??? I've gone to 2 of these so far -- so much fun! But, we all missed you, and glad to see you back!

@OConnell5483 Happy to see you back Tracie!! I knew you have to be so busy and stressed out with the job change - but what an exciting, wonderful thing you are doing for you and your family. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your 2 weeks off!!! Have fun quilting also :)

@theyoginurse - great job!!!
  • mytime6630
    edited November 2017
    Options
    OOPS!
  • mytime6630
    edited November 2017
    Options
    How come I can't delete a post if I accidently start one! Sorry guys
  • 70sjam
    70sjam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I joined a few years ago, lost 40 lbs. Gained some back and since getting my fitbit at Christmas 2016 have lost 15. I'm 47, 375lbs, have Osteoarthiritis. I have a soon to be 5 y.o. daughter, and am married. My wife has MS, FIBRO, diabetes, and back pain. She is a stay at home mom, also overweight, but not has heavy. I work full time. Our biggest problem is lack of meal planning and cooking. I need friends and support. Thank you!!
  • 70sjam
    70sjam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I joined a few years ago, lost 40 lbs. Gained some back and since getting my fitbit at Christmas 2016 have lost 15. I'm 47, 375lbs, have Osteoarthiritis. I have a soon to be 5 y.o. daughter, and am married. My wife has MS, FIBRO, diabetes, and back pain. She is a stay at home mom, also overweight, but not has heavy. I work full time. Our biggest problem is lack of meal planning and cooking. I need friends and support. Thank you!!
  • mytime6630
    edited November 2017
    Options
    70sjam wrote: »

We would Love to have you join us -- you will find so much support here!! The main thing, at least for me, is to keep coming back each day - no matter what kind of day I have had. Being accountable to the friends on here is key. It is so easy to have a bad day, and then just give up. Sometimes I have a bad week, or even a bad month. But by coming on here, and just taking this one day at a time, we can all be successful. I had lost 45 pounds with weight watchers 9 years ago, and gradually put it all back on. I know I am an emotional eater, so if anything stressful happens, first thing I want to do is grab junk food. But because of all the support on this thread, I am now down almost 30 pounds. 15 more pounds, and I will be what is considered a "normal, healthy" weight. Yes, it has taken me a long time to lose that weight, but I am hoping that while losing the weight, I am also changing my lifestyle habits, so I can keep the weight off. You can do this! Maybe even if your wife will help you also - it will be a win win for both of you. Life is short. I lost 4 of my 5 siblings at very early ages (that is when I gained a lot of weight). So I want to be/stay in the best health as possible.

So I hope you come back. Taking this just one day at a time makes it so much easier, and possible!

We have a "October challenge" going on now - the challenge was to lose just 5 pounds, or stay the same, until the end of the year. Since it is already mid November, even if you joined our challenge, and try and stay the same even would be a great thing! I always gain during the holidays, so staying the same is like losing.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »

Bex - that is a great way to use up jeans - I love jean bags !!! Another way to use them up is to make "rag quilts" --- super easy, and people LOVE them! they are so warm and sturdy! I make a lot of them to distribute to homeless shelters, but if you are selling things on craftsy, they sell really good as well. (all you do is cut squares (usually 10"), sew them together with a 3/4" seam, clip all the edges, and wash. The edges fray, and they make a beautiful quilt! I pair them sometimes with old flannel shirts.
    bwbil6ax9ijk.jpg

@bcTRAI Sounds like a wonderful retreat!!! Was this a quilting retreat??? I've gone to 2 of these so far -- so much fun! But, we all missed you, and glad to see you back!

@OConnell5483 Happy to see you back Tracie!! I knew you have to be so busy and stressed out with the job change - but what an exciting, wonderful thing you are doing for you and your family. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your 2 weeks off!!! Have fun quilting also :)

@theyoginurse - great job!!!

Oooo that’s awesome!!!
    That might even be easier!

I might do that first and when it comes to me buying new clothes I’ll use my old jeans for bags. Or might make both! He’s gave me 3 pairs and their might be a fourth and 5th of mine lurking about!
  • Bex953172
    Options
    If I wasn’t feeling sorry for myself already. I certainly am now.

I’ve now managed to pull a muscle in my back. But it’s hurts to do anything, even to breath at times unless I keep straight, stop bending down and don’t lift anything. But that’s pretty much what my day entails. Life goes on and I don’t have time to rest :disappointed:

Even letting the dog out for a wee is a pain because he pulls a little on his lead.

I’ve really not enjoyed this pregnancy as much as I’d hoped. I’ve just been plagued by every possible ailment and I just want to feel normal again! It’s just been constant since day 1.

Don’t know why I’m posting this tbh. Just like having a moan to my friends lol x
  • Bex953172
    Options
    And..
    Getting off the sofa has become... challenging :lol:
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,526 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm so happy to be back! The last few weeks have been just overwhelming. Friday I said goodbye to a company I had worked for for 23 1/2 years. Do you know how much crap a person can accumulate in their desk over 23 years? OMG! I had to get my projects caught up to hand off. Packed my desk. Taught my normal classes. I was working day and night, weekends too. It's been crazy. I took off 2 weeks between jobs and it hasn't sunk in yet that I don't have to work this weekend and that I won't be going back there tomorrow. This is life-changing for me and my husband both. We spent the whole day together yesterday. We had a birthday party for our granddaughter, then went to dinner and a movie. It has been a very long time since we had a day like that! I'm still physically feeling tired and not feeling quite "healthy", but I do feel happy right now.

When you think about quitting, think about why you started.

Welcome back! <3 I was thinking of how busy you must have been while MIA. So happy for you and your new opportunity. I hope you really take time for yourself these next two weeks. Just love the quote!
  • cschmitz110515
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Recap Sat. 11/11 - Thank you veterans! <3
    1) Walk dog...dusting of snow on ground this morning so tread carefully, no slip and falls this winter = Due to front door handle no longer working, had to wait for hubby to wake up mid-morning & had limited time. Walked 2.34 miles with only one slip on snow compacted by vehicles, no fall. Happy dog. :smiley: Getting my snow / ice legs back is always a challenge / when roads are too bad, have to switch to walking treadmill in basement and sad dog. :/
    2) Drink extra water to flush yesterday's sodium = 13c. :smiley:
    3) Net calories w/i 100 green = Totally goofy day: had to follow hubby to autobody shop (his keyed vehicle getting repainted), late lunch at Denny's & I cleaned my plate (so worth it), shopped for stocking stuffer chocolates at Seroogy's (wonderful chocolate shop) and of course ate a sample but did not buy out the store :wink: Then went to movie / fortunately, hubby and I are not movie snack eaters. Ended by shopping at Home Depot for new door handle. How's that for Saturday date with hubby? :D<3 After all that, I ate an apple and popcorn for supper and logged everything. Net calories red 253, sodium green and 13c water (had to flush sodium from Friday). :neutral:
    4) Floss & retainers = Nope / nope :(

Summarize Sunday so far & goals
    1) Bible class & church :smiley:
    2) Assisted hubby as he replaced door handle :smiley:
    3) Walked dog 3.28 miles & happy dog :smiley:
    4) Two loads laundry while watching Packers beat da Bears :smiley:
    5) Make apple crisp for work, bake acorn squash & wash dishes
    6) Floss & retainers / bedtime & TV off 10:30
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    I LOVE to bake cookies, etc. It just doesn't seem like Christmas if I don't bake. Every year I tell myself, no baking, as we don't have any family anymore to distribute all the goodies. But then I think..... little grandsons need sugar cookies to decorate ... and thats my son's favorite cookies! So I end up baking a double batch of sugar cookies, and I probably eat half of them. Hubby will eat sweets if I put them in front of him. So I have to figure out something else to do besides Christmas baking -- or try and find recipes that are good but lower in calories! Any ideas you guys - besides Christmas baking??? I already to a lot of sewing, so thats not a substitute for me.

I was thinking about your Christmas cookie baking tradition and possible alternatives. What if you bake as usual, keep a few for family and friends, then donate the rest to a woman's or homeless shelter? I'm sure they would love that!
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    If I wasn’t feeling sorry for myself already. I certainly am now.

I’ve now managed to pull a muscle in my back. But it’s hurts to do anything, even to breath at times unless I keep straight, stop bending down and don’t lift anything. But that’s pretty much what my day entails. Life goes on and I don’t have time to rest :disappointed:

Even letting the dog out for a wee is a pain because he pulls a little on his lead.

I’ve really not enjoyed this pregnancy as much as I’d hoped. I’ve just been plagued by every possible ailment and I just want to feel normal again! It’s just been constant since day 1.

Don’t know why I’m posting this tbh. Just like having a moan to my friends lol x

Bex, you know you can say whatever you want here! Hope things start going better. :'(
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Oooo that’s awesome!!!
    That might even be easier!

I might do that first and when it comes to me buying new clothes I’ll use my old jeans for bags. Or might make both! He’s gave me 3 pairs and their might be a fourth and 5th of mine lurking about!

You can make both Bex ---- use the legs for the rag quilt, and the "butt" part for your bags! I hope you feel better. This is what this thread is for .... we all need to vent! Hugs
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    @bcTRAI What kind of retreat did you go on? Sounds wonderful! I love the quilt in your profile picture! Is that the one you worked on there? Pretty colors!

@Bex953172 Love jean bags! I had one years ago and it lasted forever. Great idea! and yes, Casey's quilt! I'm going to begin putting it together tomorrow. <3 I sure hope you feel better soon, sweetie! Can your husband help you with the physical stuff for a bit? That has to be miserable. :(

@joan6630 I love that quilt!! Seriously! Love it! I'm a country kind of girl, so I love jeans and flannels. That's what I grew up in and still prefer to wear. My son has been asking for a jeans quilt. I think I will make one like this! Are those all 10" squares? I have quite a few 5" squares cut out of old jeans, but I'm thinking 10" squares might be easier. Very cool... Thank you about the new job! I've been really nervous but if when I see how happy my husband, my kids and my grandkids are about it, I am trying to just have faith that it didn't happen by accident and that it's going to be a good thing!

@cschmitz110515 Yes, I have been really busy! I haven't been able to really relax yet. It still seems so surreal and I keep feeling as though I'm going to suffer tomorrow because I didn't work this weekend...and then I remember I'm not working tomorrow! OMG! It's an amazing feeling... Hey, have you been to that Fresh Thyme Farmers Market on Oneida Street? I'd never been in there before. What a nice store! produce is really fresh. And how about those Packers?! Whoop Whoop!

• bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I did miss touching base with you all last week and look forward to getting back at it now.
    Yes, the quilt in my profile is the one I was working on. It's not quite finished but I'm aiming at Christmas for total completion.
    First, I need to make my brother a comfort quilt. On the way up to the retreat and for half the week I couldn't get the song "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce out of my head (for no apparent reason). By that point I realized I was thinking about my brother constantly too. He was diagnosed with ALS about a year ago and is going downhill like a race car. So I'm starting a quilt for him.
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    JFT Sunday
    1. Water :/
    2. Thea's birthday party! :):D I'm amazed she's already 2
    3. Pick up supplies for business trip :)
    4. Get back on track :)
    5. Brush and floss :)
    6. Bed by 10:30 :)

JFT Monday
    1. Water
    2. Back to work
    3. Pull fabric for Mark's quilt
    4. Brush and Floss
    5. Bed by 10:30
  • theyoginurse
    theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!

I just finished a four day streak of not binge eating! The problem occurs when I am at work though. The people I work with have been driving me to eat. But I can’t use that as an excuse anymore. Until I get out of there, and have a new place to work, I just have to keep my focus on my target goal weight.

Today, I did everything on my list. Took all the energy in the world to shower. But once I did I felt so much better. My mother is probably going to need a total knee replacement. I’m scared for her. She’s 73, smoker, overweight, not in the best shape. Perfect blood labs though and she is wise. I haven’t binged over it- perfect excuse in the past. I realize I have to be strong for her too!

Goals for Monday:
    1. Weigh myself
    2. Coach call at 1130-12
    3. Get ready for mom’s appointment and style my hair
    4. Mom’s orthopedic appointment 130
    5. Return to Ulta
    6. Costco for gas and salad
    7. Put nail strengthener on my nails

So far I really like CICO (Calories in and calories out). I am enjoying food so much more then I was on Weight Watchers. It truly is such freedom! To know I could eat whatever I want if it fits in my calories, and make adjustments along the way.

Also, that’s a beautiful quilt on the wall @joan6630
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone,

so sorry I disappeared for so long... I came back from visiting bf last week and promised myself everyday to get back onto logging or at least on here. But then work got crazy and I also was fighting a cold (successfully, three days of sore throat and gone). During the weekend I was just so lazy and somehow I even thought it was better for me to not obsess about what and how much I eat for a while longer.

Short recap:
    Even though bf likes healthy and thin, he was kind of shocked at how skinny I got. After I brushed away my mums comments to the fact that she wasn't aware of what healthy would look like any more (she was really skinny at exactly my age though!) this was an eye opener. I did my best while being there to just eat whatever and not bother about portion sizes. Bf is trying to lose weight though, so it was in a reasonable fashion anyway. Still... I came back and had neither lost nor gained. (We had fun though, visiting different English towns, going to Bonfire night with some of his colleagues and their adorable kids and just spending time together. The relationship in general needed this and I think benefited greatly from it.)
    I went back to work on Tuesday, instantly got stressed and slightly sick. But at least my boss and supervisor offered me to work as a stand-in for our postdoc on baby leave next year, so now I am getting a contract until the end of September, which is a perfect safety net for me to finish my PhD. This and fighting a cold made me extremely hungry somehow, so I ate everything in site since Thursday. Which was good, as I finally put some weight back on at least.
    But now things are supposed to go back to normal in general. I managed to get a birthday present for my dad this weekend and an idea for one for grandma... so all the things that hung over my head have lightened up finally.
    I thought about not logging food for longer, but I feel I need to be able to be aware what I eat and still gain weight. Otherwise how will I ever maintain a healthy weight? So back to logging, at least to some extend (I did not measure yesterdays lunch curry, which will be my lunch today and tomorrow at work... I will guesstimate.)

I missed you guys (girls, mostly, as far as I know ;) )! I am sorry I just left, but somehow to be able to get away from thinking about food and weight, I needed to take a break from the community, too. I will try to read up, but right now I am often very tired after work, so maybe that has to wait until next weekend.

Plans for today:
    1) Log food again
    2) Stay hydrated
    3) Do a lot of work, but also read at least one more paper.