Halo Top lite ice cream

Options

Replies

• angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I've had Birthday Cake, Salted Caramel, and Cookie Dough. My favorite would have to be the salted caramel but the cookie dough comes in a veryyyyyyyyyy close second. I love that it tastes so normal to me, definitely not like a "diet" ice cream.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Before going vegan, I adored Halo Top. I had almost given up hope, because Arctic Zero was such a tremendously sad experience for me LOL. Now I enjoy So Delicious Cashew Milk Ice Cream (dark chocolate truffle flavor) in moderation when I'm really craving ice cream.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Love it. I am so glad I'm over my lactose intolerance and it doesn't bother me anymore.

I love the new peanut butter, oatmeal cookie and salted caramel flavors. My favorite of the older flavors is mint chocolate chip.

how does one get over lactose intolerance?

I get it intermittently when I have gastric issues. It passes. It might be something else, but for now, that's what my doctor has agreed to call it. I have the classic symptoms of it when a few things happen.

I have celiac disease and experience it when I'm exposed to gluten.

This last bout was due to having to take antibiotics. That was bad. It lasted almost a year.

Hmm, I wish something would help mine subside. :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I like them BUT I've noticed big quality issues when it comes to artificial aftertaste. One pint can taste great one day, and the next time I get the same flavor, it has a big aftertaste. Really annoying.

I've noticed the same thing, especially with vanilla. HUGE differences in the same exact flavor. I've also noticed big differences in texture. Not sure what that's all about. But the first time I bought the new flavors, every one of them (and I bought like 6) was super creamy and just incredible in the texture department. The next time I got some, all were icy the whole pint through :(

Yep, vanilla is the one that did it to me.

And salted caramel. It tasted very artificial to me... but I only got one pint of that one.
  • akelarae
    akelarae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    At the hyvee in Wisconsin, USA they are 5.99 a pint. I won't complain anymore! I don't mind the stevia flavor so it's all good for me. Oatmeal cookie really tastes like an oatmeal cookie. Crazy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Love it. I am so glad I'm over my lactose intolerance and it doesn't bother me anymore.

I love the new peanut butter, oatmeal cookie and salted caramel flavors. My favorite of the older flavors is mint chocolate chip.

I developed an intolerance after not eating dairy for a long time.... I started introducing it in small amounts and it got better. I think you can also get lactase tablets to take before you plan on having lactose to help.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow had no idea they had all these flavors. Where do ou live? I have only seen chocolate and vanilla
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Halo Top and have been a fan for 4 years or so. I've tried every flavor and love them all. Here's the scoop on how they rank (in my opinion, of course):

From least favorite to favorite:
    • Chocolate Almond Crunch
    • Cookies & Cream
    • Black Cherry
    • Cookie Dough
    • Strawberry
    • Red Velvet
    • Mocha Chip
    • Lemon Cake
    • Sea Salt Caramel
    • Pistachio
    • Birthday Cake
    • S'mores
    • Oatmeal Cookie
    • Chocolate
    • Vanilla
    • Mint Chip
    • PB Cup

I do agree that it's rather expensive (even when on sale for $3.99), and there's really no reason why it should be. Blue Bunny and Kemps also have great sugar free options for far cheaper. Regardless, my freezer is overflowing with Halo Top.

@joshperson195 why is PB cup waay down the bottom :( That was the only one i wanted to try. I'm a huge peanut butter fan though, which could be a good or bad thing depending how closely it resembles PB..
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I get it intermittently when I have gastric issues. It passes. It might be something else, but for now, that's what my doctor has agreed to call it. I have the classic symptoms of it when a few things happen.

This last bout was due to having to take antibiotics. That was bad. It lasted almost a year.

Sounds like secondary lactose intolerance. I only have it when my Crohn's or IBS is flaring (which is most of the time lol) but if my gut is happy lactose is OK.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Sounds like secondary lactose intolerance. I only have it when my Crohn's or IBS is flaring (which is most of the time lol) but if my gut is happy lactose is OK.

I had to look that up. Sure sounds exactly like what it is.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

I had to look that up. Sure sounds exactly like what it is.

I could never figure out why once in a while lactose was OK until my RD who is an expert in GI disorders mentioned it.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I've tried the vanilla. My grocery store only had three flavors the first time I bought it, but I saw more the other night. Will be revisiting, especially if I can find the mint chip and s'mores. Just have to remember to NOT eat the entire pint in one sitting this time... I'm not usually sensitive to artificial sweeteners, but the next day or so was, uh, unfortunate.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I desperately wanted to like this, but it's not for me. The texture is all weird to me. Like eating Dippin Dots but not as satisfying.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I've tried the vanilla. My grocery store only had three flavors the first time I bought it, but I saw more the other night. Will be revisiting, especially if I can find the mint chip and s'mores. Just have to remember to NOT eat the entire pint in one sitting this time... I'm not usually sensitive to artificial sweeteners, but the next day or so was, uh, unfortunate.

Sugar alcohols are like that. Case in point:Haribo sugar free gummy bears
  • kelseabethm
    kelseabethm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the birthday cake when I randomly found it in the wrong freezer section at my grocery store. I could never find it again so I went to Costco and got their 4 pack of vanilla. I love putting it in shakes.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i love the new flavors! oatmeal cookie and red velvet are a couple of my favs, along with cookies & cream! yum! i still need to try pistachio! oh, and the caramel flavor is delish too.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I was going to get some to try but it's pricey so I'll stick with regular ice cream. I don't have it often anyway & have 1/2C of it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,370 Member
    Options
    Another minority report: Tried multiple flavors. It tasted OK to me (not fabulous, just OK), but it was curiously unsatisfying - like eating something of no substance that left a flavor in my mouth, such as sugarless gum. Not worth its small number of calories, to me. I'd rather wait longer and have (say) a serving of a real-er slow-churned ice cream every few days, vs. Halo Top daily. Or just eat fruit. <shrug>