negative comments from friends are starting to suck!!

Options

Replies

• JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Amazing ain't it. Those same friends will be the ones who were slagging you off when you was fatter behind ya back. Now your losing weight they still want to slag you off.

Clearly not good friends. A good friend will find out what your doing and ask questions on how you feel while doing it and offer you support and advice or better still come join you.

These people in the end are the wannabe's. They want to do what you're doing but dare not, They want to achieve great things but are too scared to go to the otherside. They want to have the body you're aiming for but are too lazy. These arseholes are people who will drag you down to their level and thinking just to make themselves feel better about themselves because they can't stand you being in high spirits. These people are not friends. Get rid and find people who share your new found hobby and ambitions and you will find yourself not only with new better friends but also a better support group so you don't slip off.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Why can't people just keep their comments to themselves. Ug!
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ask them if it's OK for you to continuously criticize them as well.

this is what I wanna tell people!
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    A very overweight co worker told me to stop running because it would mess up my knees- I retorted that her heavy weight would kill her knees before my running would mess mine up.
    It shut her up, her face turned red.
    I didn't feel bad, she was a big hater at the time.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    well, at least people notice.

Don't let it bug you. It's probably just they are so used to seeing you bigger that they haven't adjusted to the smaller you. They will get over it.

People who have never met you will not think you look sickly. In fact, they might have a hard time believing how big you used to be.

It is a perception thing.
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Funny how people say "you're too skinny" "you don't need to lose anymore weight" but when we were heavier they failed to say, "you're too fat", "you need to lose weight".
  • Rzking
    Rzking Posts: 1
    Options
    Start commenting on there size with a smile everytime you see one of them over and over. They will stop. :):laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I got this a fair bit when I initially went from 200lbs to 155lbs. In hindsight, some people were right in that I was too light. I had gone from fat to skinny fat. I don't get it so much these days as an IFer who does eating competitions. It's more the "how do you eat so much and not get fat". Training my *kitten* off to be the best me I can be and not being a nutritional retard :tongue:
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I've lost 65 pounds relatively quickly (5 months) and still have 10-15 to go to get to my goal.

About 10-15 pounds ago I started getting the:
    you need to quit losing weight
    you look sick
    you have lost too much
    your no fun now that your skinny
    we are going to plump you back up, etc. comments from everyone!!

Co-workers, best friends, family, etc, even had a neighbor friend send a get well card in the mail as a joke...Getting old....I am 6'2" and want to be 185...I don't think that's too skinny at all. Don't get me wrong I have a few cheerleaders that encourage me along, but it gets real old hearing the comments from everyone else on a daily sometimes hourly basis. Sucks working so hard and being so proud of myself only to hear that crap. I was this skinny about 15 years ago and let myself go, and am not doing that again!!

Rant over, just needed to get that off my chest lol

Carry on :)

Geez on an hourly basis? Man, someone would have gotten shot with the water pistol. Maybe you should just start dramatically sobbing and yell "You only loved me when my *kitten* was fat! Now that I'm lean and mean, you no longer love me! I can't believe how shallow you are! I'm going to find healthy people who love me!!" and run off.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Love love love this!!! I hear the same things sometimes, you'll never be perfect and I'm not even going to try!! Congrats to you!
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    I get discredited too! I get well you didn't have that far to go (regarding my gains, that's why I look so good so fast). I had 3 kids and starting at 109lbs pre pregnancy and ending up at 180lbs at my due date. I have stretch marks everywhere, cellulite and a skin fold on my belly that yes I do tuck in my pants, so because no one has seen me naked they don't know how hard I've worked to get these NSV's. I've been working out so hard!
    But one thing that bugs me the most is I started this journey on a bulk, so I am lifting and doing no cardio really and trying to get bigger, I have lost 9 inches and my grandma always tells me "don't get too skinny" or "you should eat more" I tell her grandma this 9 inches loss is the result of weight training, the scale has not moved and I am trying to get healthy not skinny.

You get all kinds of people assuming you don't eat a lot because there are SO MANY MISCONCEPTIONS as to how one loses weight. They think you have to "diet" and are hungry all the time and do tons of cardio and a whole handful of myths, so they think your getting skinny how they would get skinny, but we have learnt how to do it with science & be healthy. Just my 2 cents :P

And you are doing great! You have all of us who can relate and can also be here to cheer you on =)
  • nilleah
    nilleah Posts: 177
    Options
    Honey, they're just jealous you're looking so good and they don't! They want you to stay fat so they don't look so bad next to you. Don't even think on it. Those "friends" aren't friends at all!
  • Becca1637
    Becca1637 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think most people are used to the image they have of us, so when we lose a large amount of weight we suddenly look sick to them or in some way unhealthy because all they knew was that "thicker" us. Don't let it get you down. You have to do what works best for you.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP

This!
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with nilleah. You are setting new standards. They are used to benchmarking themselves against the old you. So now, with the new you, they are going to have some work to do.

Keep up what you are doing. I don't know if 185 is too low, but you can't go wrong building muscle.

Laugh off their comments (to their faces, if necessary)
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    First let me say congrats on getting so far to your goal.. that's is AWESOME!!!!!..Now about your friends... I am about 9 pounds from goal weight.. and my students ( gotta love them) make these kinds of comments all the time ( one even brought me some bread pudding...my food nemesis LOL) Overall I view these comments as positive from people who don't know what else to say... be proud.. you really have done well...the comments I DONT like are those that imply something is "wrong" rather than recognizing your hard work ( WE know how hard it is)
    you may not know mw.. but I think you ROCK and you give inspiration to others!!
  • saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the great work! Haters are gonna hate....eff 'em.
  • maddymartinec
    Options
    Just know that those who are these things are probably the ones who gave up on their dreams in the past and don't want to see anyone else succeed. Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's funny how people not only think it's socially acceptable to ridicule someone when they lose a bunch of weight, but it's also their duty to do so. I've had many people tell me I look like a skeleton, I look disgusting, that I've aged 20 years... I even had a "friend" of mine tell me that I'm not feminine anymore and I'm going to regret my wedding pictures now that I'm fit.

Know what that did to me? Added fuel to the fire to work harder, train harder, and prove them wrong. Guess what they're all saying now that I came in 2nd place in bodybuilding? "hey what's your meal plan? How often do you work out? I wish I had your butt" etc.

You're doing this for yourself. As long as you feel good and are doing it in a healthy way- jealous people can be very mean. Keep at it bud, you're doing great!
  • rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The one I get is "Oh my, you've lost so much weight!". I'm thinking, was I fat before???? :laugh: