Does losing weight make you look older?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. I've heard people say just the opposite, actually.

Ditto....

Everyone tells me I look younger now...I certainly feel younger....

Before:
    DSC02328.jpg

Not completely after, but my most recent from March:
    20130425_181051.jpg

You look great, but your face wasn't that "round and plump" to begin with. I feel it happens more to those who lose like 100lbs +.

No offense, but I prefer the before photo. Mostly because of the shaved head. EVERY guy looks older bald .Other than the lack of hair, you look great.

LOL...that's just because you can't see the back and my "monkey butt" that's creeping towards the front. Almost the entire back of my head is one big *kitten* bald spot and I got tired of faking it...looking fine from the front, but total sham when someone saw the back. But no offense taken.

Also, I have my tan back now as well...that after pic was in early March...just coming out of winter. As I recall, it was a fresh shave too...like two days old.
  • mustapekka
    mustapekka Posts: 59
    Options
    I think you did a really good thing getting rid of your hair. It's way more gracious than covering up a "monkey butt" until it just gets absurd (and about 50 times hotter). You did a really good job losing the weight too! :)
  • MobOfBricks
    MobOfBricks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think it all comes down to how this person lost weight. Extreme diets make people look old and worn out.

On the other hand, people who met their goal after hundreds of miles of cardio, tons of weights and balanced diet look better because they feel better, may be younger too.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person, but usually losing weight makes people look younger. One of my siblings is almost 10 years younger but people think I'm the baby because I'm thin.

Chanel famously said:

A trente ans, une femme doit choisir entre son derrière et son visage.

When a woman turns thirty, she must choose between her butt and her face. (In other words, to be slim makes the face look gaunt as a woman ages.)

I don't think that's true for everyone.

^ this. I was going to quote this myself, glad i read the thread. Also, it depends how much baby fat you kept on your face into your teens and twenties. I had thin high school friends with pretty thin faces that at the 20 year reunuion are still thin, but their faces look gaunt. I had chubbier cheeks, lost the chubbiness now, but it was a cushion that helped later in life. Probably still look better tho w/a little extra weight, but i dont care. I chose my butt. :-)
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    It hasn't seemed to for me.
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on how old you are already and how much you have to lose, like others have said. Apparently it has made me look younger. I will be 25 next month and got carded for a Rated R movie a few weeks ago! I couldn't believe it!
  • andreearoxette
    Options
    I actually have heard the opposite and I agree with the opposite. Makes you look younger, but maybe if you are older when you lose weight, the wrinkles that were tightened by fat under the skin are now let loose so they might show more I think.
  • Oneal77
    Oneal77 Posts: 12
    Options
    Maybe, with power lifters, but nahh.. I don't thinks so. www.uncommonwebshop.com
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. I've heard people say just the opposite, actually.

Ditto....

Everyone tells me I look younger now...I certainly feel younger....

Before:
    DSC02328.jpg

Not completely after, but my most recent from March:
    20130425_181051.jpg

Now that a couple of people have weighed in, I think you look younger in the first picture, but that's because I associate hair, especially if it's dark, with youth. Your face looks pretty much the same. But have no concern, you look good in both photos.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Look through the success stories posts with pics and decide for yourself. I think people look younger and healthier in the "after" pics.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person, but usually losing weight makes people look younger. One of my siblings is almost 10 years younger but people think I'm the baby because I'm thin.

Chanel famously said:

A trente ans, une femme doit choisir entre son derrière et son visage.

When a woman turns thirty, she must choose between her butt and her face. (In other words, to be slim makes the face look gaunt as a woman ages.)

I don't think that's true for everyone.

Coco Chanel also popularized suntans. For the first time in recorded human history, I believe. In her case, the choice must have been frighteningly real.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I was incredibly worried about this. I was completely prepared for wrinkles galore...it hasn't happened. THANK GOD.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I will gladly look older, if I can just FEEL younger!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It depends...I've lost 45 lbs and people are constantly tell me how young I look. (I'm 41) I mentioned my four kids in a conversation with a new coworker and he said "FOUR KIDS! Um, how old are you?" (I hear this a lot) I said "41" and he said, "I thought you were in your twenties!"
    But I've always looked young for my age, and 45 lbs isn't a huge amount. It might make more of a difference if you're trying to lose 100+ pounds.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think the people answering are a bit confused.
    If you are 25 years old -- or even 35 years old -- you are not going to look older when you lose weight. You'll look better.
    However, it is very true that as we age we lose muscle mass and the fat in our face gets redistributed.
    When you are heavy, that gets masked. And, skin gets stretched and wrinkles disappear too.
    So, if you are 40 years plus, or 50 years plus, when you lose weight, you are likely to get more wrinkles, and your tendons jump out, in your neck and other places, because you no longer have the same muscle mass to subsume them.
    That looks older.
    That's just true.
    I tend to think that, once you get to a certain, middle age, you are going to look a little better if you have some fat to fill in where muscle has been lost.
  • PattyRain
    PattyRain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've seen people look both younger and older. I've wondered if some of it has to do with skin type. I've hoped that people with oily skin look younger since that is what I have! I've thought about that since I often here that people who have oily skin seem to wrinkle less. Since I still have zits at45 it would be nice if something good comes from having the oily skin!
  • vickygraboske
    Options
    I imagine that if you lose enough and start to show wrinkles, how someone could say that.
    But to me, whenever I see someone who has lost weight, they look younger.

--Vicky
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much your skin tightens. The older you are the less elastic your skin is and the more aged you'll look.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When people get to real low body fat percentage, then yes they may appear older. I think most people end up looking younger.
  • janel072013
    Options
    I am 29 and have always looked younger than I am (so people say). For about 5 weeks now, I've been eating healthier and exercising. I'm 5'7 and weight about 150. (I'm not on a diet. I just want live healthier than I have been) I've noticed my face looking older. I thought it was just me being tired one day. But dang, without even trying, I see a difference every time I look at myself. I see laugh lines and my cheeks look a bit saggy. I Googled this and I am so not the only one :-( Do I HAVE to look older to be in better shape. Or is it that I've been loosing fat faster than usual? (I went from fast food and canned goods and big portions to raw veggies and Nutriblasts and smaller portions during meals). Does anyone know if my face will return to normal? It's ridiculous how much older and tired I look.