Running at Night?

Options
I have a gym membership, so I can run on a treadmill, but I really prefer running outdoors. What do the nighttime runners use to ensure that they can see and are visible? I live in a development with sidewalks, so I am not too worried about safety, but I'm a klutz and would like to at least be able to see where I'm running.

Thank you!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have a Nathan headlamp and various flashy things. :smile:

ETA - Here's a link to the one I have. https://www.nathansports.com/nebula-fire-runners-headlamp-5100n
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    When I ran, I definitely preferred doing so outside at night. Perhaps buy yourself some running gear - jackets, hats, track pants, etc - that incorporate reflective material.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Reflective material
    Headlamps are good, or have a flashlight with you. It can warn a car you're there or flash a light at an odd alarming noise. Or figure out if that dark spot that could be a puddle or a hole in the sidewalk.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I run with a Silva TrailRunnerII USB, which gives me plenty of light for offroad night running.

If I'm near roads so cage dwellers are a threat I'll clip a red LED to my belt at the back as well. I'll usually have hi viz for that situation as well, but if off road I'm not to worried about that.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning before dawn, and mostly just stay on lighted streets. I have wiped out at least once a year, but I'm kinda clumsy that way, and sidewalks and roads here are not in great shape, sometimes they aren't where you expect them to be. I don't know how anyone runs on trails without falling down.

I do wear white or very light shirts.
  • studiog608
    studiog608 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to run at night back in the day when it was safer to do so. Loved it!!! Nowadays I can't even ride my bike on the road without being a target. But small strobes work. And light reflecting clothes.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I run at night with a headtorch and a chest mounted light (from Decathlon) - works really well.
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I also have a headband night lite and my running tights are reflective
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    A backroad with no traffic and something to make noise to scare off moose and cougars......
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone runs on trails without falling down.

Practice. My first night trail runs were quite slow, nowadays not so much.

Dark Ox video here, although not taken by me.

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    LOL. No moose where I am. Possible cougars but they usually don't come into the developments. Raccoons, skunks, and opossums are the main wildlife.

This is all very helpful. There's not too much traffic in the development at night and there are sidewalks throughout so I'm not too concerned about cars, although being visible is always safer. I'll check out the headlamps. There is a golf course near my house that I walk with my husband. I'd love to run it at night but I am more concerned about doing that alone than I am the streets lined with houses (the husband won't run).

I'd run in the mornings but I'm a pretty chronic insomniac and my best sleep is usually from midnight on. If I'm going to be up at night anyway, I might as well make it useful.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I wear a reflective vest (mine is by Nathan but there are other brands out there too), reflective hat (many brands have this), and headlamp (cheapie from Home Depot) as well. I am sad that Brooks discontinued the Nightlife hat, which has a built-in red LED light across the back fastener.
  • irandamay
    irandamay Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I use a NoxGear Tracer360 LED vest for visibility and a headlamp (Black Diamond Spot) for lighting up the ground.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I got some cheap fairey lights and I wear those. Other runners laugh when they realize what I'm wearing and I'm happy I made their run that much more enjoyable.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @TheGaudyMagpie The answers are all very common. I use a Petzl Tikka Reactive headlamp. Multiple light levels and reacts to the environment around you. I also have a Black Diamond that I keep as a emergency spare when doing any planned long night time running events that are over 3 hours. What you need depends on how dark it is when you run, How long the runs are and how much light you need to run safely.

Reflective clothing is a must especially if you are going to be on/near roads, crossing roads etc.

I know some people who don't like headlamps, they don't hold their head steady when running resulting in the light bobbing all over the trail and they found it hard to stay focused.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In the past I had kind of looked at a hat and a clip on light. Does anyone use an arrangement like that? I was thinking myself that the bobbing of a headlamp might be a little annoying.

I did go out and walk the neighborhood a bit tonight, and the main street through the development has streetlights and is pretty lit up, while the side streets have much dimmer lights, so I suspect that I will mostly run up and down the main drag, which is at a decent incline, so, yay, extra effort. I'm not sure I need much light but I will at least get some reflective clothing just because there are cars even if there's not much traffic.

I would love to run trails at night, but I need to find some running partners before I do that.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I run on lit pavements at night wearing these https://batteryfree.co.uk/

They don't make enough light for trails, but do make you visible to traffic and other pedestrians. I have a head torch for night trails, but don't use it very often as I don't like trail running in the dark on my own.

I also wear reflectives and reflective gloves. Many drivers have said how good the gloves are becauase the bouncing movement makes it clear I am a pedestrian, rather than a bib which, seen from a distance, might be a road sign or a cyclist.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a head torch clipped to my baseball cap, high viz, armband light and clip on lights on my shoes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My Petzl Tikka led headlamp is still going strong after 5 years and I use one my flashing red led bike lights clipped on to the back of the headband plus lots of reflective gear. You can't be too visible running at night (I've seen a few runners with the NOX gear vests too - they're prtty cool)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I also have a Petzl Tikka headlamp which I have had for about 5 years and it works great. I usually have to have a pretty thick hat to hold it in place, so if it is warmer out, I sometimes wear it around my chest, or even just carry it in my hand for a short run. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing knuckle lights. I also use LED slap bands around my wrist and ankle and wear light or reflective clothing for visibility.