Ok so if you have a Calorie deficit everyday does that guarantee weight loss??

Options

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Diet is 80%, Exercise is 20% but both are equal in terms of importance

The benefits of exercise on your brain, appetite and metabolism are huge, so generally while a defecit in calories will definitely help you, ultimately the surefire approach at all times is diet + exercise

Ultimately, eat clean, don't consume too many processed foods/sugars and exercise for at least two hours a week and you'll drop weight.

Not unless you're also eating at a deficit. It's entirely possible to eat 'clean' and exercise and not lose a thing, or in fact gain. Equally, you could live on twinkies, and so long as you're eating less calories than you're burning, you will lose weight. 'Clean' has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Yes this. I watch a ton of "what I eat in a day" youTube stuff and there are some really healthy eating people, who if I followed their "diet," I'd surely gain weight. Avocados, nuts, fats in the volume some use would blow my calories out of the water really fast.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    And how many Carbs are you getting a day and still be in the 20 grams or less Net Carbs? I get less than 30 Carbs in order to stay under 20 net. If you are getting more than that then I'll have to look at your diary, granted I still have a lot to learn, but to me anything under 100 g carbs is a low carb diet.

The key thing is to work out how many carbs you can consume while staying in ketosis, which is different for everyone; use keto strips to identify what works for you.

Based on yesterday, I ate 120g of carbs to stay under my 50G net carb - lots of green vegetables, nuts, kiwifruit, avocado and even a couple pieces of toast (Freya's 5 Seed)
    You're presuming that people will always want what you think of as "junk food".

Most of us learn fairly quickly that nourishing foods like lean proteins, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fruit, eggs, dairy, healthy fats... you know, good nourishing food? That stuff is most satiating. The ratios of those which best satiate vary by individual.

Savvy dieters usually have some calories left over after all that good stuff and fit treats in. Like sprinkling mini chocolate chips on a bowl of Greek yogurt and raspberries. Or having a big salad and just 2 small slices of pizza every now and then. Or two cookies at the end of the day or a couple of squares of dark chocolate. My personal favorite treat is kettle corn. I make it with an air popper, spritz what comes out with olive oil, and sprinkle on super fine sugar.

The stress eating/emotional eating thing is a major issue for habitual dieters; which is generally why the "little treat" at the end of the day turns into weight gain and then the thought "But I wasn't even eating that much and I'm still hungry"

I pay as much attention to macro nutrients (as getting those out of kilter will mean your body goes into various states of starvation, which will end up in binges and also no exercise) as I do to calories; the answer is that both are important, but what I'm interested in is that your "eating clean" - how did you go over your calorie limit? What foods were you consuming?
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Subjective. The majority of my clients overall have never dieted or abstained from eating what they like and have sustained goal weights over the long term. Heck, go to Asian countries and see what they eat. They eat what they want. They just don't eat A LOT

Hey, more power to them if that works for them - how many of them end up gaining the weight back? Are you the miraculous "None of my clients ever gain back the weight" guy?

Yes this. I watch a ton of "what I eat in a day" youTube stuff and there are some really healthy eating people, who if I followed their "diet," I'd surely gain weight. Avocados, nuts, fats in the volume some use would blow my calories out of the water really fast.

The key thing is they're fueling their body for exercise; which comes back to the first post I made here - 80% Diet, 20% exercise, but both are as important as each other. You can eat quite a lot of Avocado, Nuts, Fats and such if you're stripping out typical calorie dense foods like bread, pasta, cake and still be under 1800-2100 calories consumed.

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd have to say its true that if you consistantly eat less calories than what your TDEE ( Total Daily Energy Expenditure ) caloric expectations are, you will keep losing weight.

Its really that simple. Sometimes humans think that things need to be more complicated, so they think harder than necessary.
    Which might burn more calories, idk.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yes but my daily allowance is 1470 and an average exercise day adds only 300 to that, and I won't eat that all back. I'm not using oil for salad dressing any time soon, I'd rather eat a couple eggs and a piece of toast. I consider that I eat clean but not like those guys. Clean is not well defined and therefore not necessarily the answer for weight loss.
  • janieLiz1
    janieLiz1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    NO most definitely. IF you hold too much back your body will conserve and cut back on burning. You could sabotage your self. It doesnt work for me. I constantly can't get above 1200 calories a day: I'm a big girl, over 250 lbs. I have not lost weight for a year. I am at a loss. Cutting calories doesn't work for me. I exercise at lest 3 days a week if not more. I'm over it all.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Wanna make sure I ain't wasting my time

You will be wasting your time if you do it for a couple of weeks and give up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Wanna make sure I ain't wasting my time

When I weigh my food on a digital food scale, eat the calories MFP gives me, eat some (but not all) of my exercise calories, I lose as expected over the course of a month.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    janieLiz1 wrote: »
    NO most definitely. IF you hold too much back your body will conserve and cut back on burning. You could sabotage your self. It doesnt work for me. I constantly can't get above 1200 calories a day: I'm a big girl, over 250 lbs. I have not lost weight for a year. I am at a loss. Cutting calories doesn't work for me. I exercise at lest 3 days a week if not more. I'm over it all.

If you're not losing weight then you're not at a calorie deficit.

What are you current stats (age, height, weight). How are you calculating calorie burns from your exercise? Are you consistently logging your foods and tracking all your calorie intake? Are you choosing the correct entries when you log? Are you using a food scale to accurately measure out portion sizes?

And can you make your food diary public so we can take a look at it-many times others can spot discrepancies that may be tripping you up.
  • janieLiz1
    janieLiz1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    paper puddin' no i dont want your kind of help
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    janieLiz1 wrote: »
    paper puddin' no i dont want your kind of help

What kind of help do you want?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    And how many Carbs are you getting a day and still be in the 20 grams or less Net Carbs? I get less than 30 Carbs in order to stay under 20 net. If you are getting more than that then I'll have to look at your diary, granted I still have a lot to learn, but to me anything under 100 g carbs is a low carb diet.

The key thing is to work out how many carbs you can consume while staying in ketosis, which is different for everyone; use keto strips to identify what works for you.

Based on yesterday, I ate 120g of carbs to stay under my 50G net carb - lots of green vegetables, nuts, kiwifruit, avocado and even a couple pieces of toast (Freya's 5 Seed)
    You're presuming that people will always want what you think of as "junk food".

Most of us learn fairly quickly that nourishing foods like lean proteins, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fruit, eggs, dairy, healthy fats... you know, good nourishing food? That stuff is most satiating. The ratios of those which best satiate vary by individual.

Savvy dieters usually have some calories left over after all that good stuff and fit treats in. Like sprinkling mini chocolate chips on a bowl of Greek yogurt and raspberries. Or having a big salad and just 2 small slices of pizza every now and then. Or two cookies at the end of the day or a couple of squares of dark chocolate. My personal favorite treat is kettle corn. I make it with an air popper, spritz what comes out with olive oil, and sprinkle on super fine sugar.

The stress eating/emotional eating thing is a major issue for habitual dieters; which is generally why the "little treat" at the end of the day turns into weight gain and then the thought "But I wasn't even eating that much and I'm still hungry"

I pay as much attention to macro nutrients (as getting those out of kilter will mean your body goes into various states of starvation, which will end up in binges and also no exercise) as I do to calories; the answer is that both are important, but what I'm interested in is that your "eating clean" - how did you go over your calorie limit? What foods were you consuming?

You quoted the wrong post of mine but I know which one you were addressing.

The stress eating was because I was under stress. I wasn't counting calories, I was counting carbs. You have a nice pat theory, but your views of why people overeat are limited. I had issues with emotional eating that "eating clean" and "eating low carb" failed to address. Full stop. That was the point I was making. I wasn't eating treats at the end of the day during that period of time.

As to the issue of the period of time when I was eating clean? As I said, I was a whole foods ovo-lacto vegetarian. I ate dairy, eggs, beans, whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and healthy fats. That's it. I also never ate the more starchy fruits. I only ate berries. The only packaged foods I consumed were canned tomatoes, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese.

How did I eat too much while I was eating this way? My satiety signals were broken and I had no idea how many calories I was actually consuming. I had no idea how weight management actually worked. I was sedentary and had an undiagnosed chronic autoimmune illness (that's genetic, btw) which left me in a great deal of pain and chronically fatigued. Food was solace sometimes. Feeling stuffed made my life seem less empty sometimes.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »
    No.

Outside of the obvious - accurately weighing, measuring & logging food & drinks (that includes packaged goods, numbers can be way off), nutrition plays a role. In particular water, protein, fiber & sodium intake.

Add-in any medications you may take.

If you're a woman there are massive water fluctuations.

If you're stressed, the body reacts as well.

There is no right way, you have to find what works for you through trial & error. Even then, you'll have to switch things up every now & then.

If only it could be easy . . . best wishes!

None of those things change the answer to the question "If you have a calorie deficit every day will you lose weight?"

They change how easy it is to attain a deficit, maintain a deficit, or understand whether a deficit actually exists.

Macros do not make a difference to weight loss. They may make a difference in how easy it is to keep eating at deficit, for some people.

Medications may change your metabolism, meaning you have to eat even less to achieve a deficit.
    Medications may change your appetite, making it harder to tolerate a deficit.
    Water fluctuations make temporary changes in your weight, but they aren't "real weight" and you will still see an overall downward trend.
    Stress can cause metabolism changes (see above, have to eat less to achieve necessary deficit)
    Stress can change appetite (see above, harder to tolerate necessary deficit).

Those things may make it harder to "have a deficit every day." But they don't change the fact that if you do manage a deficit despite those things, you'll lose weight.

People like to cite things like metabolic slowdown or meds as proof CICO is false. All that does is illustrate that the actual numbers we plug into the CICO calculations are mostly estimates. Most of us have no way of knowing our exact CO: We use formulas based on averages, but they're estimates. Most of us aren't very good at calculating exact CI, and those numbers are also based on measurements in laboratory conditions, not in real human bodies.

CICO is not a mathematical guarantee that if you put specific numbers into MFP you will lose a specific number of ounces, CICO is a concept that explains how weight loss works.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Also, important to note..

CICO absolutely works if losing weight is your only goal; 100% it works.

The problem with a CICO only regime is that it doesn't give a monkey about what weight you're losing, you're just losing weight - be it muscle, fat; it really doesn't care.