Ok so if you have a Calorie deficit everyday does that guarantee weight loss??

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    janieLiz1 wrote: »
    paper puddin' no i dont want your kind of help

What kind of help do you want?

I don't think she'll answer that, so - counterfeit help, is my guess.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You quoted the wrong post of mine but I know which one you were addressing.

The stress eating was because I was under stress. I wasn't counting calories, I was counting carbs. You have a nice pat theory, but your views of why people overeat are limited. I had issues with emotional eating that "eating clean" and "eating low carb" failed to address. Full stop. That was the point I was making. I wasn't eating treats at the end of the day during that period of time.

As to the issue of the period of time when I was eating clean? As I said, I was a whole foods ovo-lacto vegetarian. I ate dairy, eggs, beans, whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and healthy fats. That's it. I also never ate the more starchy fruits. I only ate berries. The only packaged foods I consumed were canned tomatoes, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese.

How did I eat too much while I was eating this way? My satiety signals were broken and I had no idea how many calories I was actually consuming. I had no idea how weight management actually worked. I was sedentary and had an undiagnosed chronic autoimmune illness (that's genetic, btw) which left me in a great deal of pain and chronically fatigued. Food was solace sometimes. Feeling stuffed made my life seem less empty sometimes.

Hey; firstly, awesome that you've managed to find something that works for you and that you've managed to work around some health issues that would stop others in their tracks. I was just interested more so from the point of view that I'm having to supplement with oils to hit my calorie intake but the differences in our diet is that I'm not able to eat eggs due to an allergy, I'm staying away from lagumes and grains where possible too and I'm slightly lactose intolerant so I don't do a lot of dairy.

When I talk eating clean, generally I'm meaning load up on green vegetables, load up on low-starch fruits, eat good lean proteins and stay away from processed in a can/in a bottle/in a plastic stuff as much as possible. For me, the idea that "It's OK to eat a treat and stay within your calorie limit" is cool if it works for you, but it doesn't work for me; ultimately because I'd rather those calories come from nutrient dense sources so I'm not starving my muscles and my body while I shred weight of.

What I love about MFP is that you can easily track all of the above; as I stated just above - CICO is deadsure a method to ensure you lose weight, but if you're not fueling the complicated systems that make up your body, there is literally no control over what you're losing.

• cwellington
    cwellington Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much you'll realize you're eating when not measuring/counting/weigh-ing food correctly. Not just the amount of food, but the true macronutrients.

I eat pistachios. I was tempted to just guess the amount in my plastic cup at work. I was going to go by the cup measurement and try to find something like that on my fitness pal. Eventually I decided to actually count each and every pistachio and do the piece by piece macronutrients. I would have been way off.

It's best to be true to what we're eating rather than loosely assuming. Also to be true and understanding of what ingredients are actually in the food we eat. All single servings of mashed potatoes aren't created equal. Especially when you consider the creams, sugars and additional fats that some recipes add.

Just typing in "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" for your log may not accurately reflect the type and amount of peanut butter and jelly one REALLY put on their bread. Nor does it reflect the type of bread used. It really is science.

Just be careful and try to know as much as you possibly can about what you're actually eating.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Also, important to note..

CICO absolutely works if losing weight is your only goal; 100% it works.

The problem with a CICO only regime is that it doesn't give a monkey about what weight you're losing, you're just losing weight - be it muscle, fat; it really doesn't care.

Well I lost 50lbs of something and improved all my health markers in the process-including getting a pre-diabetic glucose number solidly down into the normal range. Fast forward almost 4 years and I'm still successfully maintaining that loss (whatever it was lol), and my blood work panels and health screenings are still coming back great, with glucose numbers still solidly in the normal range (80s and 90s). And yes I eat all sorts of foods including 'processed' foods, fast food, sugary foods, foods that come in boxes, cans and bags. I also eat veggies, whole grains, lean meats, eggs etc . I eat all the foods I like-I've just learned how to fit them into my calorie goals :)

But, the important thing is that we've both found what works for us for the long term and that's what matters!
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options
    Well wait... who says treats don't have macronutrients that your body utilizes for nourishment?

And... if you're fitting that treat in after eating healthy (or even not so healthy, after all, a Big Mac or pizza has protein, fat, and carbs that your body will use to feed your muscles), how are you starving your body?

Are you aware there's not a separate digestive path for "junk" food and "healthy" food in your body? Carbohydrates are carbohydrates. Protein is protein. Fat (say PUFA) is fat. Your body takes it where it gets it and uses it to feed all the complicated systems.

Completely aware; but take your Big Mac example, being that "all food is equal" in terms of high level macro nutrients in terms of your digestive system, let's even make it more simple and forget about vitamins, sodium, etc...

Let's say you're doing 40/40/20 - 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fats over a nice round 2000 calories (200G protein, 200G carbs, 44G fat)

A Big Mac is 560ish calories, you're consuming 33g fat, 44g carb and 26g protein. Now let's say we eat nothing big three Big Macs a day - for a total of 1680 calories, we do a nice even 180 calories worth of exercise and we create a 500 calorie deficit in our system, losing approximately a pound a week.

Meanwhile, your macronutrients are screwed up, your body will start to shut down and the likelihood of the "CO" part of your equation remaining the same is slim to none; you'll effectively shut down your BMR and despite feeding your body the same amount of calories, you'll have less energy day by day.

So even though a calorie is a calorie, a carb is a carb; a protein is a protein and a fat is a fat; food definitely is not the same in terms of how your body reacts to it.

Now if we take into account the added sugar in the buns, sauce and such on the Big Mac; you're creating an appetite builder, rather than suppressor, so those three Big Macs won't even feel like they're filling you up within a short order of time.

Nothing above is "new" information to you, I'm sure; but its my personal (humbled) opinion that CICO alone is the major reason people have relapse of weight, it certainly has been for me.

• SymbolismNZ
    Options
    Nothing above is "new" information to you, I'm sure; but its my personal (humbled) opinion that CICO alone is the major reason people have relapse of weight, it certainly has been for me.

Just to clarify this; so it's not Captain Obvious; obeying a CICO diet alone and paying no attention to anything other than calories in, calories out is a major reason people relapse, because when they go away from calorie counting, they haven't changed the underlying psychology towards food, nor in many cases added to their BMR through healthy eating and exercise.

• SymbolismNZ
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    CICO is a governing energy balance. Anyone who is losing, maintaining, or gaining, is impacted by CICO. It is not a diet or synonymous with calorie counting or "eat anything you want as long as you're in a deficit"

The post I made above clarifies what I mean when I'm saying CICO - I'm meaning obeying only the principles of CICO - i.e "I can consume 1500 calories and have a deficit, doesn't matter where those calories come from".

I get now that you guys are meaning more the scientific principle of "Your body burns X, you eat Y, therefore deficit Z = Weightloss A" but as someone who has gone through this whole noise several times in the last 18 years, all I'm hoping to do is give a viewpoint that may help someone.
    seska422 wrote: »
    Who's eating 3 Big Macs as their intake for the day?

You are straw-manning the eating of nothing but treats.

Look; hopefully no one is; but as I mentioned, I'm using an extreme to illustrate that you can lose weight with some pretty terrible nutrition following the principle of "I consume less than I burn" - but your future chances of keeping that weight off, or even only going back to the weight you originally were are massively small.