Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• glammitude
    glammitude Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Late night eating and any cleanses
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    catluvgal wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    "You shouldn't mix different types of protein because your body won't be able to digest them fully."

Guess I learned the difference between a nutritionist and a registered dietician. According to that nutritionist, proteins are different length chains, and if you mix your proteins, then your body will only ever be able to process them to the length of the shortest chain. So if the protein in Greek yogurt is 3 links long and the one in chicken 5, and you mix them together, your body will only digest 3/5 of the chicken's protein... :dizzy:

Guess how often I returned to that lady...

And who would ever eat chicken and greek yogurt???

Any one of the millions of people who eat any number of the dozens of Greek, Indian, Persian, Middle Eastern, etc menu items that contain those two ingredients. Chicken gryos, Indian curries, etc, etc, etc. Chicken and Greek yogurt is a very common ingredient combination.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    "You shouldn't mix different types of protein because your body won't be able to digest them fully."

Guess I learned the difference between a nutritionist and a registered dietician. According to that nutritionist, proteins are different length chains, and if you mix your proteins, then your body will only ever be able to process them to the length of the shortest chain. So if the protein in Greek yogurt is 3 links long and the one in chicken 5, and you mix them together, your body will only digest 3/5 of the chicken's protein... :dizzy:

Any one of the millions of people who eat any number of the dozens of Greek, Indian, Persian, Middle Eastern, etc menu items that contain those two ingredients. Chicken gryos, Indian curries, etc, etc, etc. Chicken and Greek yogurt is a very common ingredient combination.

Anyone who has never experienced tzatziki and chicken hasn't lived. Hell, that stuff pairs well with any meat, but especially chicken and lamb.

Why did I have to read this thread tonight? Now I am starving for all of this stuffed in a big old pita, or wrapped in naan. So! Hungry!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options

Anyone who has never experienced tzatziki and chicken hasn't lived. Hell, that stuff pairs well with any meat, but especially chicken and lamb.

I used the last of my tzatziki the other day. Need to go by some more supplies. I need to move back into a house where I can grow my own dill. This apartment doesn't have a south facing window with any sun. :disappointed:
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    madelonism wrote: »
    ive had several people tell me fruit is bad for you, because of high carbs and sugars.

that low fat, low carb, and "sugar free" items are preferable to whole organic foods that are more nutrient dense (fats are not the enemy, but the way america packages it is a real issue for me).

and my favorite: do not eat kale, it will give you metallic poisoning!

But seriously...don't eat kale. It's gross.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Not if it's done right!
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Toxins diet and flushing them through pills.
    Eating after a certain time will make you fat.
    A certain food will make you fat.
    Diet soda will make you eat more (for me, I drink on occasion and not true)
    Eating gluten/GMOs will make you fat.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Booze is bad for your liver... wait
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    How about all of the products with labels that state they don't contain a particular ingredient that they never use for that product any way. I'm waiting to see fat-free flour, caffeine-free water, sugar-free lard...

YES!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing that crazy trend. I actually saw a nut mix labeled "gluten-free".

There's a good reason for that, and I, as someone with celiac disease appreciate it. Do you know that there are some nuts I can't eat? Because seasoned nuts sometimes contain gluten.

Or some nuts are processed on equipment that also processes wheat and might be cross-contaminated.

So a genuine gluten-free label isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How about all of the products with labels that state they don't contain a particular ingredient that they never use for that product any way. I'm waiting to see fat-free flour, caffeine-free water, sugar-free lard...

YES!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing that crazy trend. I actually saw a nut mix labeled "gluten-free".

There's a good reason for that, and I, as someone with celiac disease appreciate it. Do you know that there are some nuts I can't eat? Because seasoned nuts sometimes contain gluten.

Or some nuts are processed on equipment that also processes wheat and might be cross-contaminated.

To add, that also pertains to rice, oats, and many other non products that don't contain gluten.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Oh, I have a lovely recipe for a greek chicken salad (mine uses a vegetarian chicken substitute) for greek chicken salad that uses greek yogurt for the dressing. It's got feta cheese in it, and it's delicious.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

To add, that also pertains to rice, oats, and many other non products that don't contain gluten.

Beans. Drives me nuts when it's beans.
  • CarlDuffin1
    CarlDuffin1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Juicing!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Juicing!

Seems to have worked for Bane...

191.jpg
  • cerise_noir