Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• catluvgal
    catluvgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    "All calories are equal." Nope!
  • catluvgal
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Lots of great contestants thrown into the ring... Are we going to debate which one is truly the worst? >:)

I think the whole carbs/added sugar being evil is by far the most pervasive and inane. There are some close seconds though.

CLEARLY processed carbs have wreaked havoc on public health. Next!
  • catluvgal
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Absolute, positive worst one I've seen yet - a varied diet with everything in moderation is biomedically equivalent to recreational drug usage in terms of impact upon your health.

Yes, that just happened.

So before you go running around threads and quoting me, how about showing me that evidence where moderate use of marijuana, psilocybin or amphetamines creates evidence of damage to your health... as I pointed out, you can even use the tip of looking at how research papers talk about refined sugar and compare it to recreational drug use.

We're stuck in the 1950s here, where ingesting fat is a bad idea, where moderate marijuana causes long term brain damage and where refined sugar doesn't have an impact on your neural receptors, causing you to be at higher risk of craving more.

Nope, fats not bad, marijuana doesn't cause brain damage and sugar isn't addictive. Please come on. Tell me I'm reading this wrong!

Sugar IS addictive... for some people. Lots and lots of science backs it up as does my own personal experience.
  • catluvgal
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    How about all of the products with labels that state they don't contain a particular ingredient that they never use for that product any way. I'm waiting to see fat-free flour, caffeine-free water, sugar-free lard...

YES!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing that crazy trend. I actually saw a nut mix labeled "gluten-free".
  • catluvgal
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    Which is kinda my point...everything in moderation:).

Which is cool, like I said in the thread he's quoting, the point I made in that thread is that refined sugar itself has been linked to a number of health risks in oncogenes, neurological disorders and appetite disorders and therefore consuming it in moderation is very similar to a moderate drug user, i/e the genesis of this debate.

Yeah, no. Very few drugs are used in moderation. I would love to agree with you but just no. I've not once seen a post where folks go full on the bag of sugar if they run out of cookies nor have I seen folks attack bananas, or any fruit because they are out of sweets. Have I known of folks going after mouthwash or cough syrup when they are out of alcohol or drugs, oh yeah. Sorry I want to believe you but it's just not proven other than the anti sugar folks. Please really think long and hard, folks would full on go for not only bags of sugar but any fruit if this were true.

...I don't know, Jo....I have done things for the sugar...I'm not sugar if it's addictive to everyone...but I'm not proud of the things I have done for sugar. The low doses like apples do nothing (not strong enough). Its the hard core dried fruits and processed sugar sources that get me. I have gone after the bag of sugar or wheat or corn when my fix wasn't available...
    This is my shame.

People who dont have a struggle really shouldnt state such a struggle does not exist. The sugar thing is about refined sugars, not fruit.
  • catluvgal
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    "Just drink some water. You may not be hungry...you may actually be thirsty. The brain often confuses the two."
    Uh-huh, yeah right.

That one annoys me too. Never in the history of ever has water made me not hungry. I wish!
  • catluvgal
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    "You shouldn't mix different types of protein because your body won't be able to digest them fully."

Guess I learned the difference between a nutritionist and a registered dietician. According to that nutritionist, proteins are different length chains, and if you mix your proteins, then your body will only ever be able to process them to the length of the shortest chain. So if the protein in Greek yogurt is 3 links long and the one in chicken 5, and you mix them together, your body will only digest 3/5 of the chicken's protein... :dizzy:

Guess how often I returned to that lady...

And who would ever eat chicken and greek yogurt???
  • catluvgal
    Options
    jmormur wrote: »
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

Given I don't know what skinny feels like, pretty much EVERYTHING tastes better. Ya, that's a WW saying! Hate it.
  • catluvgal
    Options
    Don't eat it if you can't pronounce it.

Dang it, I love Thai food!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    catluvgal wrote: »
    "You shouldn't mix different types of protein because your body won't be able to digest them fully."

Guess I learned the difference between a nutritionist and a registered dietician. According to that nutritionist, proteins are different length chains, and if you mix your proteins, then your body will only ever be able to process them to the length of the shortest chain. So if the protein in Greek yogurt is 3 links long and the one in chicken 5, and you mix them together, your body will only digest 3/5 of the chicken's protein... :dizzy:

I do... but then again... I make a wicked good Parmesan chicken where the chicken is marinated in Greek yogurt, garlic and thyme and then coated in Parmesan before it's baked in the oven for 30minutes. Bonus points that you can set the chicken to marinate the day before and shove in the oven when you get home after work.

Or grilled chicken breast with a garlic sauced made with Greek yogurt as a base?

It's called being creative while cooking...

This said... I need to go buy Parmesan, chicken and Greek yogurt...
  • katiepoo22
    katiepoo22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i think the meal replacement shakes are a load of crap. i tried them it's obviously so unsustainable and as soon as you come off them and try to eat normal meals you just pile the weight on, i think they're more about gaining money than helping people lose weight.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I do... but then again... I make a wicked good Parmesan chicken where the chicken is marinated in Greek yogurt, garlic and thyme and then coated in Parmesan before it's baked in the oven for 30minutes. Bonus points that you can set the chicken to marinate the day before and shove in the oven when you get home after work.

Or grilled chicken breast with a garlic sauced made with Greek yogurt as a base?

Yeah, I make a really good yogurt curry marinated chicken.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Yeah, I make a really good yogurt curry marinated chicken.

Sadly curry doesn't agree too well with my digestion... But that sounds delicious!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jmormur wrote: »
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

Given I don't know what skinny feels like, pretty much EVERYTHING tastes better. Ya, that's a WW saying! Hate it.

Replace skinny with lean, and I'd say it's not a myth. If it weren't for the strength increases and anabolism that come with overfeeding, I'd never even lean bulk. I like abs and vascularity far more than I like food. Unfortunately, I like strength and muscle size increases more than abs and vascularity...within reason anyway.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    How about all of the products with labels that state they don't contain a particular ingredient that they never use for that product any way. I'm waiting to see fat-free flour, caffeine-free water, sugar-free lard...

YES!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing that crazy trend. I actually saw a nut mix labeled "gluten-free".

Nuts are often processed in facilities that also process wheat. (In Canada the label must say "may contain gluten" if it could have been in contact with gluten containing grains.) As a celiac, I have to pass over more nut products than I can safely eat. LOL
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ive had several people tell me fruit is bad for you, because of high carbs and sugars.

that low fat, low carb, and "sugar free" items are preferable to whole organic foods that are more nutrient dense (fats are not the enemy, but the way america packages it is a real issue for me).

and my favorite: do not eat kale, it will give you metallic poisoning!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I use it in place of sour cream and it is so good with chicken fajitas!
  • danbjaram
    danbjaram Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here is the biggest myth of all: "You need 3 servings of dairy a day for Calcium"
This discussion has been closed.