Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »
    Starvation mode and meal timing! But actually starvation mode really does happen for those under 12% body fat as proved by the Army Doctors in a study that only the military can do because they literally own your butt. haha.

I'd love to see that study.

I *think* they're referring to this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25782294

Of course, this doesn't really prove "starvation mode" as it is often used in conversation, but it is an interesting and heartbreaking read on some of the dangers of long-term low-calorie diets. I used to have the full text but I think I've misplaced it. Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia, which I realize isn't an awesome source, but it lined up well with what I remember from the actual study.
    Among the conclusions from the study was the confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis as measured using the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. Indeed, most of the subjects experienced periods of severe emotional distress and depression.[1]:161 There were extreme reactions to the psychological effects during the experiment including self-mutilation (one subject amputated three fingers of his hand with an axe, though the subject was unsure if he had done so intentionally or accidentally).[6] Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation.[1]:123–124 The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity. This ought not, however, to be taken as an indication that capacity to work, study and learn will not be affected by starvation or intensive dieting. There were marked declines in physiological processes indicative of decreases in each subject's basal metabolic rate (the energy required by the body in a state of rest), reflected in reduced body temperature, respiration and heart rate. Some of the subjects exhibited edema in their extremities, presumably due to decreased levels of plasma proteins given that the body's ability to construct key proteins like albumin is based on available energy sources.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    That if you do handstands for 30 mins a day you love handles dissapear

While you are upside down I suppose? Lol
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Skip dinner. I hate how people say if you skip a meal you will lose weight. You won't.
  • alexialmann
    alexialmann Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The various diets "egg diet, cabbage diet, grapefruit diet" all paired of course with exercise and only eating 1200 calories but yeah, no it is totally the eggs making you lose the weight. SMDH

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Lest our rush to judgment be too hasty, it is well to bear in mind: What's good for the gander may cook the goose.

That is, a diet that turns one person into Superman/woman may turn the next into the Michelin Man....

Unless you're talking about different people needing different calorie levels, nah.

Oddly enough, my own personal experience agrees with what he said a bit. Last summer I ran a keto bulk, meticulously tracking everything, and averaged 2.5 lbs./week on 2800 kcals. Of course, I ended up fat, sloppy and rather annoyed.

So, I cut back down over a couple of months using a vlcd and ended up about ten pounds above my initial starting weight, once my fat was back at passable levels. I then started my current bulk using a more "typical" 40/30/30 (p/f/c) breakdown. Currently eating between 3500-4300 per day to pull off 1.0/week. I am a bit more active now, but I still do no cardio other than walking, and I only lift 4x/week, whereas it was 8-10x/week before.

If you can explain the difference being so huge, I'd love to hear it, because I'm baffled. And yes, I do now and did then, weigh everything that goes in my mouth (I even log chewing gum when I use it ffs).
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    Eating healthy is the only way to lose weight.

Losing weight is impossible for some people since they are naturally like that. Its never impossible its just sometimes harder.

Apple cider vinegar

Gluten free foods doing anything at all unless you have celiac disease.

Some foods have zero or negative calories.

That going to the gym makes you lose weight instead of eating at a calorie deficit.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Saturated fat is healthy, Keto is healthy, carbs make you fat.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are the devil
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Saturated fat is healthy, Keto is healthy, carbs make you fat.

Not exactly myths.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    SRAM is just as good as Shimano. :disappointed:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is the only way to lose weight.
    Gluten free foods doing anything at all unless you have celiac disease.

Food intolerance does exist. I've seen my wife doubled over in pain from gluten, and she is not celiac. I've also seen the same for her for potatoes, beans, milk and quite a few other things.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it if you can't pronounce it.

Omg that one drives me batty.
This discussion has been closed.