Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    How about all of the products with labels that state they don't contain a particular ingredient that they never use for that product any way. I'm waiting to see fat-free flour, caffeine-free water, sugar-free lard...

That can be annoyingly comical, but it's not a 'myth'.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Not sure if this is a myth or truth, but I hope that fasted cardio is on its way out. I just think that's a dangerous shortcut to fitness that's prone to make you pass out instead.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a myth or truth, but I hope that fasted cardio is on its way out. I just think that's a dangerous shortcut to fitness that's prone to make you pass out instead.

I agree that for 95% of the population there is no benefits to fasted over non-fasted cardio. However there is some merit to fasted cardio for lean individuals (>10%) though. Lyle McDonalds "Stubborn Fat Solution" (SFS) is a protocol based on fasted cardio and is well renowned.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

What do you mean by 'fasted cardio'? Like fasting for how long before? I mean I can hike all day on nothing other than water. Adding in sleeping that may qualify as "fasted". But if I eat anything before or during I'll vomit. So, I don't do that. Same is true for doing yard or garden work. I wait until I'm done to eat even if my tummy is growling. I've never passed out.

But I've learned that on MFP words don't always mean what they are intended to mean so perhaps the term means something else here.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    sae12 wrote: »
    All these gimmicks you see advertised on TV to help you lose weight.
    Except for that vibrating belt thing....That looks like it might work.

I wear two of those.

One round each cheek ;)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member

I agree that for 95% of the population there is no benefits to fasted over non-fasted cardio. However there is some merit to fasted cardio for lean individuals (>10%) though. Lyle McDonalds "Stubborn Fat Solution" (SFS) is a protocol based on fasted cardio and is well renowned.

Some of us do fasted cardio or even resistance training fasted for no other reason than eating or even drinking some protein shake before hand has adverse affects to our stomachs. If I eat before hand then I have a 2 or 3 hour weight before I can do any exercise at all.

Part of that could be due to the fact that I just can't eat until I have been up for at least 3 hours. Then by the time that food digests I am out of the mood to workout. So working out fasted just works better for me. I have never passed out or even felt weak...at least not from hunger.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    I'm guessing that depends on the person and the context. I know this may be irrelevant I've done several labs on either nothing but water or fed, and gotten true results. In terms of cardio, my best friend would define fasted as "absolutely nothing, not even water." I on the other hand am not sure how to define it. If I were fasting for, say, prayer, I would absolutely allow water. Your mileage may vary.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

After a month on this intermittent-feeding schedule, the animals show a series of behaviors similar to the effects of drugs of abuse. These are categorized as “bingeing”, meaning unusually large bouts of intake, opiate-like “withdrawal” indicated by signs of anxiety and behavioral depression (Colantuoni et al., 2001, 2002), and “craving” measured during sugar abstinence as enhanced responding for sugar (Avena et al., 2005). There are also signs of both locomotor and consummatory “cross-sensitization” from sugar to drugs of abuse (Avena et al., 2004, Avena and Hoebel, 2003b). Having found these behaviors that are common to drug dependency with supporting evidence from other laboratories (Gosnell, 2005, Grimm et al., 2005, Wideman et al., 2005), the next question is why this happens.

All, let's try not to turn this into another battle over sugar addiction. If we want to continue that battle, let's utilize the below thread. It goes through a lot of the models and studies (both human/rat/mice).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

I think maybe some people missed this so...
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    That what works for one person will work for everyone in the exact same manner (you lost 5 lbs so I HAVE to lose the same). That one weekly weigh-in that results in a gain means you're doing something wrong. I'm constantly explaining to hysterical friends that our bodies fluctuate and to focus on the overall downward trend. The whole "give into your cravings so you don't binge later" theory. In theory (lol), sounds great. But at some point you have to learn to control/ignore your cravings because, at least in my experience, they're the reason for the weight gain to begin with. I can't agree enough with a previous post about people saying they can't possibly eat x number of calories (usually very low) yet they are overweight and having trouble losing. They're not being honest somewhere in their tracking. And if I see one more freakin' ad for garcinia and some colon cleanser...
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member

The bold that they are the reason for your weight gain is because of eating too many calories when you give in. If giving in leads to going way over your calorie goal, then giving in is a bad idea. If giving in is done in a way that allows you to incorporate that treat in moderation as PART of the whole days calorie goal without going over, then giving in, which should not be seen as giving in, is a good thing. It is part of retraining yourself to have say one or two cookies rather than the whole bag.

I agree completely. For me, my cravings are totally in my head. I'm not hungry, just craving a particular food which is how I got into trouble. I'd be at my calories for the day and be craving tacos, haha, and that happens all the time so I've had to learn to just ignore them.

This discussion has been closed.