Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is a myth or truth, but I hope that fasted cardio is on its way out. I just think that's a dangerous shortcut to fitness that's prone to make you pass out instead.

Well, there are myths about any supposed benefits to it, but as to it being dangerous?

Nah.

Plenty of people work out fasted all the time.

I'm one of them, because as Annie stated, I cannot do cardio with food in my stomach without experiencing nausea. Running is so much easier without food sloshing around in there.

I do eat an hour before lifting, though
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    PS. Alcohol doesn't contain sugar. It's lost in distillation.

It's converted to simple carbohydrates, which convert instantly to glucose within your system without any length of time required to digest it, meaning it's effectively the same as ingesting sugar; surely you're not this daft?

Please do link your research article showing long term negative effects of moderate marijuana usage; I'll show you 15 that disprove it.

Damnit, I was really hoping this one WAS a myth.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    That you have to lose weight to have value.

That myth only exists in fat acceptance circles and is perpetuated as a false belief that thin people supposedly have. It's nonsense.

It's usually self-loathing that people have for themselves being projected.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will make you happy.

OMG, so much this!!

I'd never heard most of these 'myths' before joining this site, but this right here ^ is a huge one I think.

I can personally say it doesn't get rid of depression. I am happier with my new me, however. Am I really happy? I don't know.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    All I'm going to write is "Glycemic Index" and let you catch up on that statement.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Which is kinda my point...everything in moderation:).

Which is cool, like I said in the thread he's quoting, the point I made in that thread is that refined sugar itself has been linked to a number of health risks in oncogenes, neurological disorders and appetite disorders and therefore consuming it in moderation is very similar to a moderate drug user, i/e the genesis of this debate.

Yeah, no. Very few drugs are used in moderation. I would love to agree with you but just no. I've not once seen a post where folks go full on the bag of sugar if they run out of cookies nor have I seen folks attack bananas, or any fruit because they are out of sweets. Have I known of folks going after mouthwash or cough syrup when they are out of alcohol or drugs, oh yeah. Sorry I want to believe you but it's just not proven other than the anti sugar folks. Please really think long and hard, folks would full on go for not only bags of sugar but any fruit if this were true.

...I don't know, Jo....I have done things for the sugar...I'm not sugar if it's addictive to everyone...but I'm not proud of the things I have done for sugar. The low doses like apples do nothing (not strong enough). Its the hard core dried fruits and processed sugar sources that get me. I have gone after the bag of sugar or wheat or corn when my fix wasn't available...
    This is my shame.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options
    It's more so the principle of fast release glucose versus slow release glucose; in effect with processed foods (sugar, chocolate, most juices) that are high carb and no fiber, you get an instant rush of glucose which your body and brain loves and thinks "Oh, I must be about to do something here!" so certain genes activate within your system, ten to twenty minutes later..

It's the principle behind say Lucozade, a glucose drink that immediately enhances the amount of glucose within your system, meaning you feel more energetic and your brain willa lso process things quicker; however recent research indicates that it's not actually the glucose, but more so an increased synthesis of acetylcholine which is now becoming to be more interesting in research as for its impact on the brain long term....

In any case, three hours later, you finally do a task like walking or maybe some exercise, you've eaten/drunk a ton of calories reasonably quickly and you had that initial fast release of glucose, but now your body feels like it doesn't have enough energy in its system, which some research indicates in turn leads towards neural receptors responsible for appetite being heightened; hence refined sugar may not be addictive, but it is likely responsible for playing tricks on appetite.

Glycemic Index is a laymans way (seems to be important here, people don't like research) of attempting to describe things, but lemurcat12 is right, it's the process of gylcemic load and release that is important.

All foods create glucose in some shape or form within your system, be them from fat, carb or protein; however carbohydrates are the easiest for your body to process into glucose, especially when you're pouring them down your throat in an added sugar juice.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options

Still waiting on your research around marijuana; but in regards to a literature review that reviews evidence as it relates to "carbohydrate-insulin theory of obesity" is a completely different story; again, you're focused on weight loss, I'm focused on wellness.

The Wellness debate is "How is your body utilising the calories you've just ingested and how can it draw on them as it needs throughout the day", the weightloss perspective is "If I eat this, do I get fat?"
  • SymbolismNZ
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've already interacted on sugar; the problem is you keep linking it to weight gain and addiction which I never make statements about. I've pointed out refined sugar increases your risks of heart disease, of digestive issues, of neuro-degenerative diseases and posted my research on it.

The only thing I've gotten back is either statements that are so wrong it's funny, or research that is linked to an entirely different topic. I'm just responding to what others write, if you don't want me writing in here, don't give me something to respond to

i.e the genesis of me being here, someone quoting my point that moderate refined sugar and moderate marijuana use have similar factors of risk towards different health ailments and saying it was the dumbest thing he's heard; yet, no one can disprove it, hard to disprove facts.
This discussion has been closed.