Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I've already interacted on sugar; the problem is you keep linking it to weight gain and addiction which I never make statements about. I've pointed out refined sugar increases your risks of heart disease, of digestive issues, of neuro-degenerative diseases and posted my research on it.

The only thing I've gotten back is either statements that are so wrong it's funny, or research that is linked to an entirely different topic.

If you want to debate sugar addiction, do it in the one i posted. It actually has human models and not just rat studies. The conclusions in human trials does not support your hypothesis.

Point me to a single statement I've made linking sugar and addiction.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I bumped the thread psulemon linked, so that's a good place to continue the conversation if people want.

More -- that there's some magic to raw before 4 just because that apparently rhymes in some bizarre version of English.

;-)

Will duck and run now!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You get the respect you give; I've been respectful to a point, but having people refute stated evidence and state "Oh you're cherry picking", "Oh that's not right" while making no attempt to engage in a proper debate or discussion gets tiresome, and to that point, if you're propogating the same old *kitten* repeatedly that isn't accurate, I'm not going to keep nodding and smiling.

Take this for example "Oh I've seen recent research indicating moderate marijuana usage has long term health impacts" - but you won't post the research.

Sure, your clique of friends will like/awesome/inspiring your posts and you'll get a lot of kudos, but you're wrong.

Compare that to my responses to people who actually post their own research, debate the subject and don't rely on either "HAH, SUGAR ISN'T ADDICTIVE" when that has never been a point of contention I've made, or "HAH, WE ALL KNOW THE TRUTH" when the reality is you don't seem to.

Excuse me, I've told you time and again it was a tv news report, and it wasn't an actual study I saw. This thread isn't about marijuana and I have no dog in this fight.

I feel free to take the time I want or not to engage as I wish. My time on here is limited. I don't wish to engage you in more than I can pull out of my bookmarks or off the top of my head. But I've never directly insulted you. I have shared my opinion. Having an opinion that you're cherry picking studies isn't showing you disrespect. It's disagreeing with what you're doing.

If you gauge the politeness of your response on the amount of time you feel someone spends responding to you, it says far more about your character and worth than it says about theirs.

I'm not the least bothered by your opinion of me given how you've chosen to comport yourself to someone (me), you've apparently judged to be wanting in the intellectual department in your eyes.

In fact, I'm quite chuffed.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    That would be really funny if he said that, because I'd bet anything he promotes drinking a green smoothie.

Edit: Yup, he does. http://www.doctoroz.com/recipe/dr-ozs-green-drink

Yeah obviously. blending them into mush is not bruising them, duh.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The Master Cleanse, where apparently all you drink for 10+ days is acetic acid, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, then take a laxative to blow it all out your kitten. I've heard a lot of stupid ideas, but this takes the cake for pure, sheer idiocy. I have to admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude over the sufferings of certain Master Cleansers as they scour their bowels. Does that make me a bad person?

I reported a case like this to the FDA this week - multiple deaths related to over-ingestion of vinegar. The extent of damage done to the GI was disturbing.

That's not new ... really, it's not! My mom had a dear friend way back more than 65 years ago who drank a small bottle (8oz) of vinegar a day to maintain her low weight ... until she died at at 37 or stomach cancer and left two orphaned kids.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    That you have to lose weight to have value.

That myth only exists in fat acceptance circles and is perpetuated as a false belief that thin people supposedly have. It's nonsense.

It's usually self-loathing that people have for themselves being projected.

i disagree. that myth was part of the family lore my mom passed down to me every day growing up. and i didn't just hear it from her, though she was the most consistently vocal.

nobody will love you if you're not pretty and slim.

you would be so pretty if you lost weight.

if you lost weight you would find a SO in no time!

if you want to be popular you should try harder to lose weight and fit in.

these are things that predate fat acceptance by a long shot.

Yes, my mother did the same thing, but here's the distinction. It's a myth that you go into the real world and find isn't true.

The whole idea that people of size don't have worth and aren't pretty and won't find love like their mothers tell them growing up comes from the mother's internalized sense of self-loathing and it's not a societal movement that devalues the worth of fat people in the way the plain statement in the post of the person I was responding to said.

A LOT of us have those scars from our childhood, but I can guarantee you, everyone has scars from their childhood. If you weren't a fat kid, you had freckles. Or you were poor and wore cheap clothes. Or you wore glasses. Or you laughed too loud or walked funny.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Re: Gluten... What about the folks who don't have a gluten allergy but switch over to gluten free products thinking it will be better for their diet. Most gluten free products i have looked at have more calories than the regular food they are substituting :huh:

We avoid gluten free products. Instead, we look for products that are inherently gluten free.

Preach. It's the only way to go.

There are some that are worth it (some cookies are pretty tasty), but by and large, there's a whole world of inherently gluten free cuisine out there that requires no tedious substitution nonsense. Potatoes, rice, and corn are tasty starches in their own rights and plenty of dishes feature them.

I learned my lesson a few years after my celiac diagnosis and too many gluten-free substitute disappointments.

As for topic, hmmm... I'm not sure what the worst diet myth is.

I think "a calorie isn't just a calorie" bothers me more than most because I personally fell for the idea that how I ate would make me thin. I was a very fat person with a really healthy diet thinking that.

Another one I'm not fond of is that carbs spike insulin and make you store fat in a deficit, implying that fat storage is permanent.

Actually, the whole brouhaha over fat burning vs. glycogen burning is ridiculous when it's simply a matter of energy balance and the choice between diets is preference.

Interestingly enough, my wife's favorite desert turns out to be gluten free. It's the chocolate thunder from down under from outback steakhouse. And the best desert I had in Disney World was my wifes chocolate lava cake from Mama Melrose. So there are definitely a few, but not too many.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    That you have to lose weight to have value.

That myth only exists in fat acceptance circles and is perpetuated as a false belief that thin people supposedly have. It's nonsense.

It's usually self-loathing that people have for themselves being projected.

i disagree. that myth was part of the family lore my mom passed down to me every day growing up. and i didn't just hear it from her, though she was the most consistently vocal.

nobody will love you if you're not pretty and slim.

you would be so pretty if you lost weight.

if you lost weight you would find a SO in no time!

if you want to be popular you should try harder to lose weight and fit in.

these are things that predate fat acceptance by a long shot.

Yeah but, then you grow up and become an adult and realise what's right and wrong, and truth V BS.

This discussion has been closed.