Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    anything you need to pay for
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My favourite has got to be the 8pm cut off point, whereby any food you eat later is immediately and magically turned to fat and transported to your hips.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    My favourite has got to be the 8pm cut off point, whereby any food you eat later is immediately and magically turned to fat and transported to your hips.

Darn it, I knew that apple I ate last night at 8:15pm would come back to haunt me!! It wasn't the pizza and cheesecake at 6pm that added the extra onto the scales today!! It was the apple at 8:15!! :D

It could've been a lot worse, at least the apple turned your body more acidic. Think of how much fat you could've put on otherwise!!??

:lol:
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »

Darn it, I knew that apple I ate last night at 8:15pm would come back to haunt me!! It wasn't the pizza and cheesecake at 6pm that added the extra onto the scales today!! It was the apple at 8:15!! :D

It could've been a lot worse, at least the apple turned your body more acidic. Think of how much fat you could've put on otherwise!!??

:lol:

:D Oh yeah!! If I drink a litre of ACV now, I'll be a size 6 in an hour!! That's how weight loss works after all!! :D
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is the only way to lose weight.
    Gluten free foods doing anything at all unless you have celiac disease.

Food intolerance does exist. I've seen my wife doubled over in pain from gluten, and she is not celiac. I've also seen the same for her for potatoes, beans, milk and quite a few other things.

That's one thing. There's a big myth that gluten makes people fat and that eating gluten free aids in weight loss though.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That you can gain muscle while losing fat
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Food intolerance does exist. I've seen my wife doubled over in pain from gluten, and she is not celiac. I've also seen the same for her for potatoes, beans, milk and quite a few other things.

That's one thing. There's a big myth that gluten makes people fat and that eating gluten free aids in weight loss though.

Unfortunately, the diet industry and books like wheat belly screwed it for people who actually have issues. Because it gets over shadowed with BS.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    In diffence for the gluten is evil myth it did help give more choices to people with celiacs and people with gluten intolerance. So its not the worst myth. Also gluten free brownies and chocolate cakes are the best if you love chocolate.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Unfortunately, the diet industry and books like wheat belly screwed it for people who actually have issues. Because it gets over shadowed with BS.

No No no no no.

It's the best thing that happened for my wife. She has lots of options now where if the fad didn't happen, there would be a lot less choices for her.

I see I was beaten to this comment.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    In diffence for the gluten is evil myth it did help give more choices to people with celiacs and people with gluten intolerance. So its not the worst myth. Also gluten free brownies and chocolate cakes are the best if you love chocolate.

Exactly And sorry if my earlier reply came across harsh. I did not mean to but re-reading it, I see it might have and I'm sorry for that.

Wife still can't eat most of the gluten free stuff as some has potato starch, some has milk products and some has soy. All of which trigger her.

Damn lucky she likes veggies more than I do.
  • psuLemon
    Options

No No no no no.

It's the best thing that happened for my wife. She has lots of options now where if the fad didn't happen, there would be a lot less choices for her.

I see I was beaten to this comment.

My wife tends to stay away from all of the "gluten free" products because many taste like crap. I am a pretty good cook and baker and make a variety of good gluten free deserts and foods.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    OpalMagnus wrote: »

That isn't a myth. You can do that.

Just not crazy amounts of it. When someone goes and says "Yeah I lost 5 pounds this month but it actually was 10 pounds of fat and I gained 5 pounds of muscle" that's the eyebrow raiser.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    OpalMagnus wrote: »

That isn't a myth. You can do that.

Just not crazy amounts of it. When someone goes and says "Yeah I lost 5 pounds this month but it actually was 10 pounds of fat and I gained 5 pounds of muscle" that's the eyebrow raiser.

It is definitely not optimal to gain muscle in a deficit, but it can be done.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    becca5446 wrote: »
    The radio keeps playing an advertisement for some product that says it will give you a flat stomach because the reason you don't have a flat stomach is because there is rotting food in your digestive tract that builds up over the years and this product will rid you of the rotting food bloating your stomach. lol Six pack abs! Just take this snake oil pill!

Urg. I hate January. The commercials on TV and radio drive me bonkers. It's gotten to the point that I just don't watch TV/listen to the radio currently. I never realized how annoying those where until I realized just how bogus they all are...
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That calories don't count. Whether it is low carb, high carb, low fat, high fat...it is calories..and ultimately, calories count. You may feel more satisfied on some regimens than others, some regimens may give you more nutrient bang for your caloric buck, but bottomline....it is calories.
This discussion has been closed.