Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    sumrdream wrote: »
    Fat makes you fat. Fat does NOT make you fat! Look at eating paleo/primal low carb diet..... :)

Confession: I only read the first 5 pages but this^^ gets my vote for worst. Another confession: I came of age in the fat-makes-you-fat era, and it definitely messed me up for years. I had an all carb diet--avoided fat & protein like it was poison. And let me tell you, I gained.

I've read, and maybe you have too, where some obesity researchers attribute our population-wide weight gain to that ridiculous fat-makes-you-fat nonsense and the corresponding dietary guidelines that gave rise to the explosion of no-fat-sugar-packed super palatable foods. Many of us were misguided. So this gets my vote for all time worst myth (despite the plethora of others that are super annoying--I'm looking at you, jump start juice cleanse).

I agree. "Fat makes you fat" gets my vote too as the all time worst myth. I believed it longer than I care to admit.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    sumrdream wrote: »
    Fat makes you fat. Fat does NOT make you fat! Look at eating paleo/primal low carb diet..... :)

Confession: I only read the first 5 pages but this^^ gets my vote for worst. Another confession: I came of age in the fat-makes-you-fat era, and it definitely messed me up for years. I had an all carb diet--avoided fat & protein like it was poison. And let me tell you, I gained.

I've read, and maybe you have too, where some obesity researchers attribute our population-wide weight gain to that ridiculous fat-makes-you-fat nonsense and the corresponding dietary guidelines that gave rise to the explosion of no-fat-sugar-packed super palatable foods. Many of us were misguided. So this gets my vote for all time worst myth (despite the plethora of others that are super annoying--I'm looking at you, jump start juice cleanse).

I agree. "Fat makes you fat" gets my vote too as the all time worst myth. I believed it longer than I care to admit.

Me too. Skim milk, no butter on toast or veggies. Just a bit of jam on my bagel instead of cream cheese - or light cream cheese.... really weird texture to that. Substituted apple sauce instead of butter in baking. Blah. I just slowly gained unless I was running 7 to 14 hours per week.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Anything that starts with "Humans were not meant to eat...(insert evil food of the month here)".

Humans were not meant to eat rusty nails.

;)

But wouldn't that be an awesome source of iron for those with malabsorption issues? :tongue:
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the devil
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    New one for me from the Food forum
    This has probably been discussed before, whats everyones take on fizzy drinks

I used to have a few bottles or cans a day but dropped it to 1 can a day and now drink water for the rest of the day, but I have someone telling me the gas expanding in my body wont help in losing weight?

I'm still losing regardless so think its probably a load of crap

Not the calories, just the CO2 causes weight gain.

Enough CO2 makes you float though, so you technically weigh less..
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Anything that starts with "Humans were not meant to eat...(insert evil food of the month here)".

Humans were not meant to eat rusty nails.

;)

Guess I need to change my breakfast routine...
  • redonkulousd
    redonkulousd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "Spot reduction"
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Then went on to still argue that point like nothing happened.
  • cjohnsonss
    cjohnsonss Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ieroen wrote: »
    Doing cardio will burn fat. :D

This. "You have to do cardio to lose weight"
    Or
    "This magic pill, it works wraps etc make the fat melt off"
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    the "whoosh" effect...put basic science aside for a second (really...no sciencing here) as you lose weight, your body anticipates that you will be replenishing the fat in your fat cells. Since there is no fat in the cells at the moment, your body fills them with water to "keep" the fat cells in use until you replenish the fat. This is why you may not lose weight for a couple of weeks, days, etc. Then one day, your body just comes to the conclusion that you don't need these cells anymore and you pee out all the water AND the fat cells the water was in....I laughed and laughed...and then I realized these people were for real :(
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,100 Member
    Options
    mram3582 wrote: »
    the "whoosh" effect...put basic science aside for a second (really...no sciencing here) as you lose weight, your body anticipates that you will be replenishing the fat in your fat cells. Since there is no fat in the cells at the moment, your body fills them with water to "keep" the fat cells in use until you replenish the fat. This is why you may not lose weight for a couple of weeks, days, etc. Then one day, your body just comes to the conclusion that you don't need these cells anymore and you pee out all the water AND the fat cells the water was in....I laughed and laughed...and then I realized these people were for real :(

The whoosh effect is real. The common explanation for it that you outlined is likely not.
This discussion has been closed.