Apple cider vinegar with mother

Options

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I use it as an astringent on my face after I wash it. I don't have acne.

Same but only in the summer. I love it for that
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Good on salad. I put it in the empty bottle to get that last stop of dressing out or to thin the dressing and bbq sauce to stretch serving sizes.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hey have anyone tried this acv, if so how do you like it & is it beneficial? When do you drink it & with what? I'm looking to try it soon

I do it most nights. It is supposed to help with weight loss but I do it primarily for gout (if it helps me lose weight I will take that also). I've had it knock down a gout attack in a couple of hours.

I take 2-tbs in a cup and add about 6-tbs of tart cherry juice (gout remedy also) and drink it down without stopping and without breathing through my nose so I don't taste it (I don't like vinegar). Then I chase it with a glass of water and try to rinse my teeth off so they won't suffer damage from the acid. I breath through the nose after the water chaser and it can still give me shudders doing that but I can get it down.

https://www.washington.edu/wholeu/2015/07/07/beyond-the-hype-apple-cider-vinegar-as-an-alternative-therapy/

If we realize that not all calories consumed are used as energy and some are excreted (the body is 100% efficient at using the calories provided to it) then you can consider things like ACV effecting that efficiency.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Should I mention that it "alkalizes" your body? No OP, just kidding. It doesn't do that either. :/

It does from what I've read. It is an acid but after it is processes it has an alkalizing effect.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Some people have reported that it helps with heartburn, though I haven't found this to be the case.

If you're wondering if it will help with weight loss, the answer is no, not at all. Though it is a great way to add flavor to salad dressings and sauces without adding any calories!

A person at work was able to get off meds and cured his stomach problems with it.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I use it in my bath, occasionally rinse my scalp with it, and use it with food a lot. If you have access to unpasteurized cider, you can just add a little of the mother from Braggs to it and make your own raw vinegar a lot cheaper. You can also make your own vinegar from fruit peels if you have a large canning or freezing project. Just be warned that the filmy mother in Braggs turns into a giant slimy critter in home brewed vinegar, you will want to have names ready for your new pets. Or you can just use pasteurized vinegar for many purposes, unless you are deliberately seeking out the probiotics and such. A lot of the Braggs claims are just a very clever marketing ploy for an expensive product.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Probably all the derp and woo and science you could possibly want can be found in one of the inaugural debate section threads: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10335447/apple-cider-vinegar/p1
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Hey have anyone tried this acv, if so how do you like it & is it beneficial? When do you drink it & with what? I'm looking to try it soon
    Lol, I mix it with soy sauce and dip pot stickers into it.
    Doesn't hurt, but doesn't really help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I've tried it. It's awesome on pulled pork and can also be a reasonable substitute for malt vinegar on fish & chips if I don't happen to have any malt vinegar handy.

No. Just no. Totally disagree with you. There is NO substitute for malt vinegar on fish & chips!

Onion vinegar is much nicer
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn, no apple cider vinegar necessary. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I've tried it. It's awesome on pulled pork and can also be a reasonable substitute for malt vinegar on fish & chips if I don't happen to have any malt vinegar handy.

For weight loss? Doesn't help one bit, unless maybe chugging the malt vinegar keeps you from drinking a chocolate milkshake instead.

Oh yes, the bread I make calls for it. It helps with it rising or something.....
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Good on salad. I put it in the empty bottle to get that last stop of dressing out or to thin the dressing and bbq sauce to stretch serving sizes.

This is a GREAT idea!
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

No. Just no. Totally disagree with you. There is NO substitute for malt vinegar on fish & chips!

Onion vinegar is much nicer

I have never heard of onion vinegar. It sounds like something I need to find and try.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    the only thing apple cider vinegar does is speed up the metabolism. That's about it.

I find stretching out your back calf is key to stop getting Charlie horses. A Charlie horse is just your brain's way of stretching out a muscle that hasn't been stretched for a while. I find beating your brain too stretching it usually helps, can't remember the last time I woke up with one actually.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate the smell of it, makes me gag, but still keep it in the house. It works amazingly on warts (removed on mubfoot and another on my finger with it). Even though it tastes disgusting, there is a drink that we make in our house as soon as something starts feeling sick (especially if their throats hurts. It made with regular tea, Apple cidar vinegar and honey: to us, it's kind of like a miracle cure.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I love the ACV threads. They're a combination of the most eyerollingly hilarious woo and fantastic recipe ideas.

Some properties are not woo though. The weight loss promise-yeah that's woo, but using it to help acid reflux, get rid of warts, etc are not woo.