Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    rosnz wrote: »
    This irritates me too. My son for 5 years every day took only 3 plain bread rolls for his lunch. No butter no filling no fruit. Nothing else. That's what he wanted and that's what he had. I made sure it was all balanced with a big healthy sustaining breakfast and after school tea / dinner etc . This teacher has no idea of what else your kid eats in a day. I bet some of those tucking into An apple and hummus dip are eating KFC for dinner!

What's wrong with KFC? Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein.

It's the F of KFC.

Shhhh... Don't tell but they sell it grilled too.

;)

And for the record, hummus isn't exactly low cal or low fat, either. It's just trendy and pretentious.

Like quinoa and chia seeds. :)

Which are now apparently passe, too.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/food-news/88093154/forget-kale-and-chia-seeds-these-are-the-new-superfoods-for-2017

<Sigh> Who can keep up? B)

Hummus is a very popular food in the middle east and has been for quite some time. I would be really fascinated to understand what is pretentious about it.

I do agree that it is not low calorie or low fat.

Quinoa, acai berries and chia seeds are other examples of many foods that have been eaten for a long time in their countries/cultures of origin, but have only recently come to the world's attention (and their plates) by being touted as a "Superfood" - whatever the heck that means. ;)

So I didn't mean to imply that the people from the originating culture or country that the food is from are pretentious for eating these items that have been a part of their regional cuisine from the start. Not what I meant by a long shot, and I apologise if that was the inference derived.

What *is* pretentious to me, however, is that people who'd never even heard of these foods before they were touted as the newest, greatest and healthiest things in the history of food, (Thanks, Doctor Oz!) then jump on the bandwagon, if only because they want to be seen as cutting edge, trendy, or somehow more knowledgeable (and therefore superior) to anyone who hasn't "seen the light" and included them in their repertoire as well. And that, for me, is where the pretentiousness comes into play.

Again, apologies for that not having been made clearer originally. :)

I eat a lot of foods I didn't grow up eating. I love to try new and different foods. I eat kale, quinoa and chia seeds. I only grew up eating one of them.

I eat a lot of foods I didn't grow up with, either.

But I eat them solely because I like them, and not because some quack on TV has decided that it's some sort of magical mystical cure that all of mankind would be incredibly wise to incorporate into their diet, stat. ;)

I'm so confused. :cry:: I eat chia seeds for the fiber not the taste (I honestly have no idea what they taste like). But a quack on TV did not tell me to do eat them. Not sure now whether I'm pretentious or not. Oh wait, I don't care.

Then you don't watch a lot of TV, which is cool, too. :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I wonder if the OP read the rules/policies and attended parent"s mertings/open houses at the school.

I'm sure this would have been addressed and any questions on healthy sbacks could have been asked.

You've been in the thread for long enough to know that it was not.

May not have seen it but never saw where the OP had read the school policy on the subject

Oh, so you maintain that a parent should consult school policy for an issue that she did not even know was an issue? But what she did say was that the handout at the beginning of the school year did not specify anything.

But yet again you are veering into the not relavent soapbox tangent. The point wasn't the nutritional profile of the snack but the lack of intervention between teacher and parent.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The level of unadulterated woo and holier than thou judgement of a parent based on snack choice in this thread makes me sad.

This is why the "mean people" on MFP keep speaking up. Because there are so many people who honestly believe an occasional "processed" snack will kill you. Because there are so many people who believe it's healthy to be scared of food. Because there are so many who believe they are better, more virtuous people because they eat "clean". To the point that they would consider teaching a child that an occasional sweet treat is fine in the context of a healthy diet is child abuse. SMH. Scary stuff.

You don't have to teach a child that anything is fine or not fine to teach them to follow directions. And that seems to be the biggest point IMO. The teacher said don't bring pop-tarts as a snack. So ... don't bring them. Period. End of story.

Teachers deal with enough crap without every parent with a dieting beef choosing school as a place to get up on a soapbox.

Everyone is so caught up in the title of the thread that they either don't read the post

So... Just another day at MFP.

True. It's been a while since I've visited these forums. I'm just surprised at the change in tone. It's more like one of those baby forums where people cry abuse or bad parenting for the most benign stuff.

It's not a positive change. It's actually a bit creepy. The demographic has shifted.

Speaking as a regular lurker, this isn't typical fare, in my experience. I actually x-posted this link on another thread, 'cause, damn...

dwhojj9zx7ru.jpg

• brower47
    Options
    The level of unadulterated woo and holier than thou judgement of a parent based on snack choice in this thread makes me sad.

This is why the "mean people" on MFP keep speaking up. Because there are so many people who honestly believe an occasional "processed" snack will kill you. Because there are so many people who believe it's healthy to be scared of food. Because there are so many who believe they are better, more virtuous people because they eat "clean". To the point that they would consider teaching a child that an occasional sweet treat is fine in the context of a healthy diet is child abuse. SMH. Scary stuff.

You don't have to teach a child that anything is fine or not fine to teach them to follow directions. And that seems to be the biggest point IMO. The teacher said don't bring pop-tarts as a snack. So ... don't bring them. Period. End of story.

Teachers deal with enough crap without every parent with a dieting beef choosing school as a place to get up on a soapbox.

One more time. The teacher never told the parent to not pack a pop tart. She was lazy, didn't define what snacks qualified and then punished the child for something that was out of his control. THAT was the OPs issue. There never would have been a thread if the teacher had take the five minutes to either define what snacks were acceptable initially or to inform the parent after the fact. She did neither of those things and because of that, it precipitated a second classroom occurance.

Everyone is so caught up in the title of the thread that they either don't read the post or use this as an excuse to soapbox about the evils of processed foods, going so far as to hint a child abuse.

The teacher was wrong. For everyone asking what the OP expected? Probably for people to take the time to read and comprehend the actual issue and not be distracted by buzzwords only.

I blame buzzfeed (and other similar systems) for the level of reading comprehension and critiacal thinking evident in this thread.

The OP is very clear that she was upset because the teacher told her son pop-tarts were not healthy.

Exactly! She told the son, not the parent. I'm so glad we finally agree!

I'm confused by your response. Of course I agree that the teacher told the son. As much as I can agree, that is. I mean, I'm taking the OP's word for it as I assume you are so why would we disagree on that point?

Bummer, I thought we'd found common ground, that the teacher should have told the parent about the issue since she's the one that packs the snack. I see you maintain that only telling the kindergartener was the wisest route to dealing with the issue.

I see nothing wrong with a teacher telling the child not to bring it. I wouldn't even consider it an "issue" if that happened to my child.

But the kid doesn't pack the snack. Refusing to engage the parent almost ensures that there will be a repeat event. Are you purposely refusing to acknowledge that the teacher could have maybe handled this better?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Everyone is so caught up in the title of the thread that they either don't read the post

True. It's been a while since I've visited these forums. I'm just surprised at the change in tone. It's more like one of those baby forums where people cry abuse or bad parenting for the most benign stuff.

It's not a positive change. It's actually a bit creepy. The demographic has shifted.

To be fair, this thread is not typical in my experience. I think the thread title drew in a lot of people with an agenda. Plus, it's January, so there's that... :)
  • brower47
    Options

To be fair, this thread is not typical in my experience. I think the thread title drew in a lot of people with an agenda. Plus, it's January, so there's that... :)

So you're saying there's hope yet? That's encouraging.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

So you're saying there's hope yet? That's encouraging.

Either that or all the deadly chemicals I'm ingesting have affected my brain to the point I can't see the writing on the wall :tongue:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    So after reading and participating in this thread I've come to the conclusion that most people fit into one of two categories. The ones that see the composition of a diet as a whole (the balancing of nutrient dense and nutrient sparse foods to create and overall healthful diet) as most important and those that believe the micromanaging of each bite (no amount of refined sugar can ever be healthy and must be avoided in order to prevent obesity and death) as most important.

One is big picture thinking. The other can't see the forest for the trees thinking.

I don't think that's true at all. I think most fit into the category that think there's a difference between healthy food and treats. One is appropriate for normal, everyday eating - like first grade healthy snack time - and the other not.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Pop-tarts are not "healthy" anything processed as we all know here is not exactly good for you. Having said that - that teacher had NO RIGHT whatsoever to say that to your child.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    When I was in summer school (the year 2000), the provided breakfast option every morning at the cafeteria was a pack (2) of strawberry pop tarts and an orange. Maybe because the regular cafeteria staff did not work summer and they had to find a quick and easy thing to hand out to the kids?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Here's something I've been curious about, and please excuse the temporary thread drift. The discussion about Superfoods lead me here. B)

I wonder what happens to the local economy when a certain naturally occurring food item that was previously unknown to all but the locals suddenly becomes a hot ticket item worldwide?

Take Himalayan Pink Salt, for example. And I'm only using this because it's the first one that came to mind. You could substitute this for any of the currently wildly popular Superfoods, because the one thing they seem to have in common is that they all started out as little known, limited quantity, regionally specific natural food items.

Back to the pink salt:

Anyone with a lick of geography under their belt will realize that there are no seas in the Himalayas, so this sought after commodity has to be mined as opposed to being extracted from existing Himalayan sea water. All of a sudden, the commercial demand for this salt goes through the roof. I picture a big scale mining operation being set up, locals being employed as labourers in these mines, and tons of this salt being extracted to meet the demand.

But what happens next year when Pink Himalayan Salt is no longer the newest must-have food item? Do the mines shut down or scale back to reflect the decreased demand? Do the locals who left their lands or previous occupations now find themselves without income and thrown back into precarious poverty? Does the land that was stripped to expose the salt in the first place get revitalized? Or do the mining companies disappear as quickly as they arrived?

Just something that I'm curious about. :)

Edited to add: And to keep it relevant, PopTarts contain salt. Just not Pink Himalyan salt. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Pop-tarts are not "healthy" anything processed as we all know here is not exactly good for you. Having said that - that teacher had NO RIGHT whatsoever to say that to your child.

I think both your statements are incorrect.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

Pretty much this lol.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options

Pretty much this lol.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options

There's nothing wrong with 'processed' foods, which is as subjective a term as 'clean' eating. My lunch was full of 'processed' ingredients and it was healthy and met my calorie targets. As pps have stated-focus on the overall diet, not individual pieces, which don't give the whole picture.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Where does she state that she regularly sends her child to school with a whole packet?
    This thread is like a game of Chinese Whispers.

Typically for a teacher to contact the parent it is a recurring issue. Even if it's only once in awhile, only a moron would claim healthy food is some sort of a myth. I get there is woo stuff and BroScience, but you can disbelieve that acai' berries are magical and still see that Pop Tarts are garbage food.

Apparently you've read neither the OP or her follow-ups in the thread, b/c it happened twice, and the teacher did not contact the parent, but instead confiscated the child's food, left him with nothing to eat while other children ate, and gave an erroneous lecture that equated fat- and sugar-laden granola and sugar-laden yogurt (I've never seen a child eating plain yogurt for a snack) with "healthy food" and Pop Tarts as unhealthy foods, with apparently no knowledge or regard for the nutritional values of any of these foods.
This discussion has been closed.