Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

Options

Replies

• DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Confession time... I have never eaten a PopTart. After 14 pages telling me they are the food of the devil, I now want to eat an entire box of them. Which flavours are the best?

OMG...I am seriously on the floor killing myself laughing!! thank you! LOL
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    alarmed123 wrote: »
    Is this post a joke? Are we being trolled? Lol if not, pop tarts are the worst snack you could ever give your child, loaded with empty calories and a ton of sugar. My kids take apples to school. I'm not mother of the year but I'll be dammed if I send my children to an early grave because of disgusting food that over time will kill them and decrease years from their life. Ok I'm done lol

Let me just drop this here in case you missed it upthread:
    Sloth2016 wrote: »

The article posted is a sample of 1 from the Facebook page of someone described as "a qualified personal trainer and trained nutritionist". WTH is that?

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Send one of those organic, whole fruit Pop-tart knock offs and see what she says then. Lol.

THIS! ^^^^^ I had this exact same thought! I would love to know what she would say if you sent one of these: http://shop.naturespath.com/Cherry-Pomegran-Frosted-Toaster-Pastry/p/NPA-410157&c=NaturesPath@ToasterPastries with a copy of the nutrition label from it and whatever brand you sent that she said was unhealthy. I would laugh my head off if she said the naturespath are "healthier." Maybe in that they don't have as many preservatives, etc. but beyond that, they still have lots of sugar and the same amount of calories. >:)

ETA: And I do let mine have the naturespath toaster pastries once in awhile. We have tried to teach them to eat a whole foods diet 90% of the time so they can enjoy a treat like this once in awhile without a ton of health consequences. We were concerned about withholding all "junk" food and labeling it because we've seen kids grow up then and rebel to a healthy diet because they never got to have "treats" like this. Because of the 90/10 thing, our kids desire to eat healthy most of the time and enjoy the once in awhile sweet treats as just that - a treat. And honestly, too much of those types of things make them feel gross so they have become self limiting as they've gotten older.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Look, if we get to the nitty gritty of it, poptarts are not a good snack, and they are not healthy.

A single package of poptarts (which contains two poptarts) is about 400-420 calories. That is not a SNACK, that is a meal (I eat breakfasts and lunches with smaller calorie servings than that...). Granola bars are not much better either, but each individual bar is about 170-230 calories, and usually do not contain two servings in a single package.

While both have a few of the basic nutrients, such as calcium, iron, vitamin a, b, and/or c, there tends to be lots of sugar or fat and they do not keep you full.

A healthy snack to me is something that is going to be 200 calories or less, which is why vegetables are usually a great snack option. You can eat a lot of them, they have great amounts of vitamins and minerals, and are low in calories.

Please don't fool yourself. Poptarts are a medicore breakfast option, but are not good to "snack on".
  • caron6055
    caron6055 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also teach my children that there is no such thing as a food that is bad for you if you follow a healthy balanced diet. My son was told off by a teacher for putting my home made steak pie in the healthy zone when asked to place their recent food consumption in healthy/unhealthy bands! He was also told that potatoes are bad for you. Needless to say, I told them to ignore it.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I went to my kids school this morning, to speak with his first grade teacher.
    He came home yesterday saying he couldn"t bring his Pop tart for their morning snack, because they can only have "healthy snacks".

I was upset. I still am even after speaking with the teacher this morning.
    I teach my child that there are no good or bad foods, unless you have a allergy or ethically cant eat it.

He has been sitting there afraid to pull out his "unhealthy snack" because its not "fruit, or granola bar, or yogurt"(healthy snacks").
    I often send those as well.

I told her not to teach my child about foods being good or bad, because I dont subscribe to that.

Teacher: "So you're ok with him having a sugary Pop Tart in the morning"?
    Me: Yes, I if send it its good enough for him to have. Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts.
    Teacher: blank stare.

Do teachers have the right to teach children sugary snacks are unhealthy?

Are Pop tarts the devil?

There are ABSOLUTELY "good" and "bad" foods! Pop Tarts are filled with chemicals!

However, I'm completely against the schools telling us as parents what we can and cannot pack our kids for lunch or snack. Unless it's a rule like "nothing with peanut butter" due to another child'd allergy, then I am totally on board with that. My youngest is super athletic and a bean pole, and even I have had this conversation with the school about her bringing not so healthy treats to school for snack or packed in her lunch. Basically, I just left it ar unless they're doing my grocery shopping, I'd be the one deciding what my daughter eats during the day, NOT them. I haven't heard a peep in 2 years.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    I went to my kids school this morning, to speak with his first grade teacher.
    He came home yesterday saying he couldn"t bring his Pop tart for their morning snack, because they can only have "healthy snacks".

I was upset. I still am even after speaking with the teacher this morning.
    I teach my child that there are no good or bad foods, unless you have a allergy or ethically cant eat it.

He has been sitting there afraid to pull out his "unhealthy snack" because its not "fruit, or granola bar, or yogurt"(healthy snacks").
    I often send those as well.

I told her not to teach my child about foods being good or bad, because I dont subscribe to that.

Teacher: "So you're ok with him having a sugary Pop Tart in the morning"?
    Me: Yes, I if send it its good enough for him to have. Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts.
    Teacher: blank stare.

Do teachers have the right to teach children sugary snacks are unhealthy?

Are Pop tarts the devil?

Though I strongly disagree with kids having sugary or salty ANYTHING, The school "policy" is just that. A policy. It isnt a law. The school CANT kick your kid out for eating what you send him with. Most people will just let it slide and work around the schools rules even if they are ridiculous, or just pull their kids out. When they tried to tell me I couldnt send something they deemed unhealthy with my son in the 4th grade, I showed up with McDonalds and dared the school to stop me. Yes, McD's BAD.. but I tend to rebel when someone tells me I CANT parent MY KID. When they told me I couldnt dye my kids hair, both of my kids ended up with blue hair all year long. When they said I couldnt leave with my kids for lunch, I signed them out for the "day" and came back with them after lunch. The school was so afraid of me after a few months that the principal would see me coming, turn on his heals, and head straight back to his office. He tried to threaten me with a truancy officer because I was pulling my kids out of school too often to take them to the zoo or museum. He tried to use the excuse that their grades would suffer and a good parent worries for their childrens grades. I asked him, "OH NO! My son is making less than an A in all his classes?" "Uhh.. well no, not yet.." "And my daughter is struggling to turn in her assignments?" "Evidence shows that.. " "Then who the HECK are you to tell me how to raise my EFFIN kids when BOTH are in advanced classes making straight A's! Step the HECK off and stay OUT of our business!" After that, they never questioned me again. I eventually pulled both of my kids out to homeschool them. It seemed easier than domineering the school officials each year and reminding them who pays their wages.

Kindred spirit...... :) A rebel at heart here as well. When someone tells me I can't do something with/for my kid or myself - just watch me! This is especially true of doctors for me. :D
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness my kids are all grown! Pop tarts were a luxury that they got to bring in their lunch once in awhile and were the envy of the kids at lunch time! I feel badly for OP's child that he was hungry and his stomach growling. ...and confused as to what he should do. Poor kid.
    I would have rained all over that teacher, too!!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    alarmed123 wrote: »
    Is this post a joke? Are we being trolled? Lol if not, pop tarts are the worst snack you could ever give your child, loaded with empty calories and a ton of sugar. My kids take apples to school. I'm not mother of the year but I'll be dammed if I send my children to an early grave because of disgusting food that over time will kill them and decrease years from their life. Ok I'm done lol

Let me just drop this here in case you missed it upthread:
    Sloth2016 wrote: »

The article posted is a sample of 1 from the Facebook page of someone described as "a qualified personal trainer and trained nutritionist". WTH is that?

It's the N=1 of someone who has been there and is sharing her personal experience. Take it or leave it as you will. It wasn't posted as scientific evidence, but merely for perspective. :)
  • stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If it's a snack for YOUR kid and only your kid, then the teacher shouldn't say anything. But if it's a day that you're supposed to provide snacks for the whole class, then yes, she can say something. Schools here do have guidelines on what sort of snacks you're supposed to bring to class (no peanuts, no excess sugar, etc).

Pop Tarts for little kids aren't healthy. You can try to rationalize it however you want, but come on. I'm of the mindset though, your kid, your rules.
  • soulmotor
    soulmotor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As someone who loved Pop-Tarts as a kid (before they went to the current Smuckers filling) they aren't bad. The problem is the calorie count. They tout a reasonable number, until you realize that's only for half the packet! I don't know anyone who only eats one Pop-Tart and saves the rest for later... Blowing 400-500 calories on a snack is a bit much. Though if the kids are sharing packets they aren't bad, unless they spread butter on them (my dad does that, I don't get it, but whatever).
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Confession time... I have never eaten a PopTart. After 14 pages telling me they are the food of the devil, I now want to eat an entire box of them. Which flavours are the best?

Whichever one jumps in your cart at the grocery store. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Look, if we get to the nitty gritty of it, poptarts are not a good snack, and they are not healthy.

A single package of poptarts (which contains two poptarts) is about 400-420 calories. That is not a SNACK, that is a meal (I eat breakfasts and lunches with smaller calorie servings than that...)

<snip>

A healthy snack to me is something that is going to be 200 calories or less, which is why vegetables are usually a great snack option.
    If you read the PopTart package, though, a serving is one Poptart, not two. So having one Poptart as a snack fits your caloric description of what a snack should be. :)

Edited to add: From the OP's original and subsequent posts, her son's 'inappropriate' snack was always in the singular - PopTart - not Poptarts. So I'm assuming he was only given one to take as a snack. :)
This discussion has been closed.