Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

Options

Replies

• DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Something I haven't seen mentioned is how to help this kid get through the school year without getting in to a pop tart war.

I suggest you agree with your child for this school term at least, the pop tart will be an at-home treat just so there is no more fussing.

When my children were about the same age they came home from school and insisted that a certain word had to be misspelled the way their teacher had shown them. No amount of arguing could get me to convince them otherwise,"But teacher said..." I got my first glimmer of a future where I was not guaranteed that I would be the primary influence in their young lives.

You'll survive. Your child will thrive.

I agree - and I wish parents would stop undermining the educators. No matter what it is. They are breeding, spoiled, argumentative brats, that have no respect for authority. "I can eat what I want, cuz my mom said so...so, back off, teach"!! Can't you see it?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

no references to back up the assertation....woo science

Controversial additive TBHQ in here
    TBHQ (tertiary butylhydroquinone) is an antioxidant used to keep oils from going rancid. It is a petroleum derivative. Yummy.
    The food industry pushed the FDA for years to get it approved as a preservative despite the fact that ingestion of large doses (a thirtieth of an ounce) can cause nausea, delirium, and ringing of the ears. (Anyone remember what Jack Nicholson had for lunch in “The Shining”?)
    TBHQ cannot exceed 0.02% of the oil and fat content in a food.

So at what dosage is it proven to be harmful?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    And when it comes to my child's education I got the teachers backs! When it comes to them calling me over my child refusing to wear a sweater outside(true story), leaving the class before they pee their pants even though the teacher told them to wait, choosing their food items within reason, etc. The child needs to have a say over their own lives. They are not mindless robots. They need to know how to be respectful but beating the choice and the rational thought out of them is not educating them.
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Controversial additive TBHQ in here
    TBHQ (tertiary butylhydroquinone) is an antioxidant used to keep oils from going rancid. It is a petroleum derivative. Yummy.
    The food industry pushed the FDA for years to get it approved as a preservative despite the fact that ingestion of large doses (a thirtieth of an ounce) can cause nausea, delirium, and ringing of the ears. (Anyone remember what Jack Nicholson had for lunch in “The Shining”?)
    TBHQ cannot exceed 0.02% of the oil and fat content in a food.

So at what dosage is it proven to be harmful?
    1/13th of an ounce .. why would you willingly allow a loved one to ingest it. In perfumery, it is used as a fixative to lower the evaporation rate and improve stability. It is used industrially as a stabilizer to inhibit autopolymerization of organic peroxides.
    It is used as an antioxidant in biodiesel. and it is also added to varnishes, lacquers, resins, and oil-field additives. Yay.. lets eat it as a snack..
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Haven't read through all the comments but pop tarts aren't healthy. I packed fruit and veggies in my kids snack until 2nd grade when she noticed that everyone else is eating chips and candy. Why should she eat carrots when the kid next to her has Doritos. Super frustrating.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    400 calories for a pack of poptarts is certainly trash. I don't know why you'd buy them.
    Because kids sometime want something sweet and as part of a balanced diet there is nothing wrong with them?

400 calories probably make up 1\3 of their daily needs depending on their age, and you want that to go to poptarts? What about poptarts aide in a 'balanced' diet?

2 poptarts have a total of 76g of carbs. That's gross.

I agree and it's not a good habit to get into as a kid to eat a whole pack of poptarts every day for a "snack".
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What really shocks me is that we're discussing the healthiness of a Pop Tart on a MFP forum. I would assume that people who are concerned for their own health enough to be an active member would already know how unhealthy these are and if not, be more open minded and accepting to admit they could make better choices.

Agreed. Yes once in awhile for a treat they are okay... but surely not the best choice to feed a young child every day
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm mean, pop tarts certainly are empty calories but you're absolutely right that there are granola bars that are exactly the same nutritionally. I get why you're upset though- I wouldn't want a teacher telling my child what they could or couldn't eat based on arbitrary ideas of what Is healthy or not.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    dfc4 wrote: »

I personally do noit need science to realize that a processed food is not as good for you as fruit & Veg....all these pro "Pop snackers" here are on MFP for a reason....because they arent happy or werent happy with the way they were.
    We are counting cals, training...trying to get back on track and be healthy and we are sending our kids to school with a bunch of processed crap to eat.......

Are you here for the same reason, because you aren't or weren't happy?

Broad strokes are fun! But ultimately useless.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Are Pop tarts the devil?

Pop Tarts are not healthy and it's a pretty poor choice of snack to send your kid to school with. Granted, granola isn't really a winner either. Food is fuel, and just like with gas you put in a car there is poor fuel and optimal fuel. A Pop Tart is like that watered down crap you get at cheap gas stations that make your car run like junk. I think the issue is that you're confusing no such thing as bad calories vs. good calories with this mentality that there is no such thing as "bad food". There is, obviously, food that is less than optimal for fueling the body. It is sad your child was too afraid to eat, but just make an effort to play by the school's policy.
  • Stripedtriangle1
    Stripedtriangle1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've read some replies that really give me a bad feeling about how people view health. Let me start off by saying that what that teacher said is horseshit. You should be able to feed the kid however you want, the teacher didn't birth the child. However pop tarts are horrible for your body, even the "Fruit" ones. Lets just look at some actual evidence of this using the nutritional info posted on the pop-tarts website. I chose to use "Strawberry" as my example but this will more or less apply to all of them. First checking the ingredients list we find the 2nd and 3rd ingredients are corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup respectively. We do find dried fruit in the list but when we look up at the nutrition facts the fruit doesn't seem to carry any weight. A single pastry contains less than 1 gram of fiber but 16 grams of sugar, 170 mg of sodium, and 8% of your daily saturated fat. All of the vitamins and nutrients found in this snack are added in by enriched foods. And those stats are for 1 single pastry however they do come in packs of two so you do have to double those stats resulting in an outstanding 36 grams of sugar. To put that into perspective your child will be eating 9 teaspoons of sugar. If you believe refined sugar isn't unhealthy I feel sorry for you. There is absolute proof that it leads to things such as diabetes, decreased cognitive function, obesity and the list goes on. I don't care what you put in your child's mouth because that is your child. But be honest with yourself when you make these decisions. Think about seeing your kid in 20 years, what will his eating habits be like? I'm not meaning to imply that you don't take care of him, my only agenda is to make sure that you are aware of the full realm of possibilities with a child.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    400 calories for a pack of poptarts is certainly trash. I don't know why you'd buy them.
    Because kids sometime want something sweet and as part of a balanced diet there is nothing wrong with them?

400 calories probably make up 1\3 of their daily needs depending on their age, and you want that to go to poptarts? What about poptarts aide in a 'balanced' diet?

2 poptarts have a total of 76g of carbs. That's gross.

Lots of people only eat one pop tart, I believe OP said she gave him one. A 200 calorie sweet treat fits quite nicely into an otherwise nutritious and balanced diet.

76 grams of carbs is "gross"? :confused:

Yes 76 grams of carbs from a trash source like Pop Tarts is gross, especially for a young child.

IMO borderline child abuse if done on a regular basis.

The last sentence is a ridiculous assertion barring cases of morbid obesity. Check out documented cases of some actual child abuse (beatings, sexual abuse, locked in closets for days, etc) and then hopefully come to the realization that your comment was grossly out of line.

I have a close friend who is a long time investigator for children and family services so I have heard many terrible stores.

Feeding a child a poor diet (especially when the family can afford better) but chooses not to puts the child on a road to lifelong health issues.

IMHO, providing a child with a poor diet is a form of abuse.
This discussion has been closed.