Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    th1nr wrote: »
    So I know I'm on the 12th page of comments so someone has probably already brought this up and also I'm probably going to get hate for siding with the teacher, but my two cents is that the teacher has to deal with your kid all day. A lot of kids, when they gorge on sugary foods go crazy, can't focus, have too much energy. And then they crash. This is one thing when they're playing outside and about to go to bed in a few hours but it's not a good way for them to be when they should be focusing on schoolwork.

Also if one kid has dessert as a snack, all the other kids will want it too.

Then first grade is a good time for kids to learn that in bring-your-own situations, you don't get to have other people's food.
  • th1nr
    th1nr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So I know I'm on the 12th page of comments so someone has probably already brought this up and also I'm probably going to get hate for siding with the teacher, but my two cents is that the teacher has to deal with your kid all day. A lot of kids, when they gorge on sugary foods go crazy, can't focus, have too much energy. And then they crash. This is one thing when they're playing outside and about to go to bed in a few hours but it's not a good way for them to be when they should be focusing on schoolwork.

Then first grade is a good time for kids to learn that in bring-your-own situations, you don't get to have other people's food.

Really? because i remember teachers not allowing students to eat during class unless they brought enough to "share with everyone." Granted that wasn't in first grade...

Of course pop tarts and other sweets can be a part of a healthy kid's diet, but not all foods are appropriate to eat in all situations. School can be fun but it's purpose is not to be a carnival. Imagine if you walked into a business meeting eating an ice cream sundae, and then started being hyperactive, not paying attention, and later fell asleep at your desk. If your boss banned ice cream at work, it would not be trying to personally control your diet or say that no healthy person can ever eat ice cream but simply that it's not appropriate for the situation.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Really? because i remember teachers not allowing students to eat during class unless they brought enough to "share with everyone." Granted that wasn't in first grade...

Of course pop tarts and other sweets can be a part of a healthy kid's diet, but not all foods are appropriate to eat in all situations. School can be fun but it's purpose is not to be a carnival. Imagine if you walked into a business meeting eating an ice cream sundae, and then started being hyperactive, not paying attention, and later fell asleep at your desk. If your boss banned ice cream at work, it would not be trying to personally control your diet or say that no healthy person can ever eat ice cream but simply that it's not appropriate for the situation.

but we aren't talking about a situation when the OP's kid is eating and no one else is...this is a classroom snack time - so all kids are eating
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Poptart Ingredients:

Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, vitamin b1 [thiamin mononitrate], vitamin b2 [riboflavin], folic acid), corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, soybean and palm oil (with tbhq for freshness), sugar, cracker meal, contains two percent or less of wheat starch, salt, dried strawberries, dried pears, dried apples, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate), citric acid, milled corn, gelatin, soybean oil, modified corn starch, caramel color, soy lecithin, xanthan gum, modified wheat starch, vitamin a palmitate, red 40, niacinamide, reduced iron, color added, turmeric extract, vitamin b6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), yellow 6, vitamin b2 (riboflavin), vitamin b1 (thiamin hydrochloride), blue 1.

TBHQ - tert-Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ, tertiary butylhydroquinone) - Both the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)[3] and the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have evaluated TBHQ and determined that it is safe to consume at the concentration allowed in foods.[4] The FDA sets an upper limit of 0.02% of the oil or fat content in foods

Yellow 5 - may cause issues if you are an asthmatic or if you have an asprin intolerance - yet if you look at the ingredient list - no yellow 5 is listed...

Red 40 - FDA has reviewed and not banned it; the EU also allows it

Yum yum.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Pop-Tarts are not the devil, nor did the teacher suggest they were. If it's a public school then teachers have the right to teach whatever the school dictates. This seems a very silly argument especially given that your child is involved. Is making your child afraid to pull out his snack really worth digging your heels in and making your point to his teacher? What harm is there in simply explaining that you disagree with the teacher but still following the rules?

Public school is paid for by the tax payers..... who send their children to the public school. Removing the parents choices for their children in an institution that they are FORCED BY LAW to pay for is atrocious.

If they don't like it home school.

Someone can't smoke in a public building paid for by taxes. Just because taxpayers pay for it doesn't mean there aren't rules.

Nope. Sorry. The school can get their noses out of the parent's pantry. It is plenty enough to have a dress code and code of conduct. Trying to control the groceries in anyone's home is overreaching. The school needs to learn their boundaries.

They aren't controling the parents pantry, they are controling what comes into the school.

Just like people can smoke till their lungs blow up at home but not in a public building.

It is this kind of thinking that has afforded them the ability to steal away tiny bits of parental rights. The school has no business telling parents what food to pack for their kids. PERIOD.

What reasonable parenal rights does the school take away? Can always home school.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    The TBHQ which is question has been shown to be linked to tumors, vision loss, liver enlargement, convulsions, and paralysis in laboratory animals. The question is how much is toxic and how much is in any kind of food.

No, Pop-tarts are not a healthful choice but then again what is anymore? You can't even be sure fresh produce isn't contaminated in some way. And there is nothing wrong with indulging now and then. I doubt this kid is living off of Pop-Tarts.

People who get the bulk of their groceries from a food pantry may not have a lot of other options. Should the school be allowed to stick their nose that far into your business? There is nothing wrong with discussion in schools based on what types of food is better nutritionally. I recall this being a part of health lessons all through school when I was growing up. Kids will not be psychologically damaged from having these types of health lessons. But if the kid has grown embarrassed about having a Pop-Tart there must be something else going on. Is the teacher calling the kid out? Why does the child feel so uncomfortable having a Pop-Tart? Are ALL the other kids sitting there with nothing but pristine and unadulterated fruit or vegetables straight from the holiest fruit orchard or vegetable garden in the world? What do parents of the other kids in the class have to say?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Pop-Tarts are not the devil, nor did the teacher suggest they were. If it's a public school then teachers have the right to teach whatever the school dictates. This seems a very silly argument especially given that your child is involved. Is making your child afraid to pull out his snack really worth digging your heels in and making your point to his teacher? What harm is there in simply explaining that you disagree with the teacher but still following the rules?

Public school is paid for by the tax payers..... who send their children to the public school. Removing the parents choices for their children in an institution that they are FORCED BY LAW to pay for is atrocious.

If they don't like it home school.

Someone can't smoke in a public building paid for by taxes. Just because taxpayers pay for it doesn't mean there aren't rules.

Nope. Sorry. The school can get their noses out of the parent's pantry. It is plenty enough to have a dress code and code of conduct. Trying to control the groceries in anyone's home is overreaching. The school needs to learn their boundaries.

They aren't controling the parents pantry, they are controling what comes into the school.

Just like people can smoke till their lungs blow up at home but not in a public building.

It is this kind of thinking that has afforded them the ability to steal away tiny bits of parental rights. The school has no business telling parents what food to pack for their kids. PERIOD.

What reasonable parenal rights does the school take away? Can always home school.

Yes, it's totally easy for everyone to do. I do it but not everyone is able. The school needs to learn their place. Sticking their nose in the kid's lunchboxes is out of line.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    Even if you'd sent him a chocolate covered freaking donut he should have been allowed to eat it if he was hungry or another snack should have been provided and this should have been taken up with you.

Agreed. I don't give a crap how unhealthy it was or wasn't -as long as it was not dangerous obviously. No one should be taking away the lunch that a child's mom packed. It was a freaking pop tart, my son has eaten his weight in them and he is 24 and a fitness buff - has always been fit. I would be talking to the principal the next day.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    rosnz wrote: »
    This irritates me too. My son for 5 years every day took only 3 plain bread rolls for his lunch. No butter no filling no fruit. Nothing else. That's what he wanted and that's what he had. I made sure it was all balanced with a big healthy sustaining breakfast and after school tea / dinner etc . This teacher has no idea of what else your kid eats in a day. I bet some of those tucking into An apple and hummus dip are eating KFC for dinner!

What's wrong with KFC? Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein.

It's the F of KFC.

Shhhh... Don't tell but they sell it grilled too.

I reckon if KFC only sold grilled chicken, they would be outta business and into bankruptcy in about 15 to 20 minutes.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    its about being indoctrinated
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    its about being indoctrinated

???
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You're kind of wrong and kind of right. I hate the school policies because it is MY kid not theirs....but quaker chocolate chip granola bars have 7g of sugar while a poptart has 16g of sugar. Even if you eat 2 granola bars you wont hit the same amount. That said, a strawberry poptart (kellogs) also has 10% of each Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin and Iron. The granola bar has 1 g of protein vs a poptart with 2g but the poptart is also double the calories....although that said the poptart has less fat g in relation to the calories in it but more carbs. He's your kid, it's just a snack. It isn't a healthy food, but it isn't going to kill him. The end.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I eat Nature's Path Toaster Pastries and omg Cherry Pomegranate...amazing.
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options

no references to back up the assertation....woo science

Controversial additive TBHQ in here
    TBHQ (tertiary butylhydroquinone) is an antioxidant used to keep oils from going rancid. It is a petroleum derivative. Yummy.
    The food industry pushed the FDA for years to get it approved as a preservative despite the fact that ingestion of large doses (a thirtieth of an ounce) can cause nausea, delirium, and ringing of the ears. (Anyone remember what Jack Nicholson had for lunch in “The Shining”?)
    TBHQ cannot exceed 0.02% of the oil and fat content in a food.
This discussion has been closed.