Options

Replies

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    rosnz wrote: »
    This irritates me too. My son for 5 years every day took only 3 plain bread rolls for his lunch. No butter no filling no fruit. Nothing else. That's what he wanted and that's what he had. I made sure it was all balanced with a big healthy sustaining breakfast and after school tea / dinner etc . This teacher has no idea of what else your kid eats in a day. I bet some of those tucking into An apple and hummus dip are eating KFC for dinner!

What's wrong with KFC? Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein.

It's the F of KFC.

Shhhh... Don't tell but they sell it grilled too.

;)

And for the record, hummus isn't exactly low cal or low fat, either. It's just trendy and pretentious.

Like quinoa and chia seeds. :)

Which are now apparently passe, too.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/food-news/88093154/forget-kale-and-chia-seeds-these-are-the-new-superfoods-for-2017

<Sigh> Who can keep up? B)

Hummus is a very popular food in the middle east and has been for quite some time. I would be really fascinated to understand what is pretentious about it.

I do agree that it is not low calorie or low fat.

Quinoa, acai berries and chia seeds are other examples of many foods that have been eaten for a long time in their countries/cultures of origin, but have only recently come to the world's attention (and their plates) by being touted as a "Superfood" - whatever the heck that means. ;)

So I didn't mean to imply that the people from the originating culture or country that the food is from are pretentious for eating these items that have been a part of their regional cuisine from the start. Not what I meant by a long shot, and I apologise if that was the inference derived.

What *is* pretentious to me, however, is that people who'd never even heard of these foods before they were touted as the newest, greatest and healthiest things in the history of food, (Thanks, Doctor Oz!) then jump on the bandwagon, if only because they want to be seen as cutting edge, trendy, or somehow more knowledgeable (and therefore superior) to anyone who hasn't "seen the light" and included them in their repertoire as well. And that, for me, is where the pretentiousness comes into play.

Again, apologies for that not having been made clearer originally. :)

I agree with this. Kale is another example. All dark leafy greens are full of vitamins; there is no reason to give some kind of special super-food status to kale.

The funny thing is that I have been cooking with kale since the nineties-after seeing Emeril Legasse make portugese kale-sausage soup on the Food Network. People didn't use to roll their eyes when I bought it in those days.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    rosnz wrote: »
    This irritates me too. My son for 5 years every day took only 3 plain bread rolls for his lunch. No butter no filling no fruit. Nothing else. That's what he wanted and that's what he had. I made sure it was all balanced with a big healthy sustaining breakfast and after school tea / dinner etc . This teacher has no idea of what else your kid eats in a day. I bet some of those tucking into An apple and hummus dip are eating KFC for dinner!

What's wrong with KFC? Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein.

It's the F of KFC.

Shhhh... Don't tell but they sell it grilled too.

;)

And for the record, hummus isn't exactly low cal or low fat, either. It's just trendy and pretentious.

Like quinoa and chia seeds. :)

Which are now apparently passe, too.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/food-news/88093154/forget-kale-and-chia-seeds-these-are-the-new-superfoods-for-2017

<Sigh> Who can keep up? B)

Hummus is a very popular food in the middle east and has been for quite some time. I would be really fascinated to understand what is pretentious about it.

I do agree that it is not low calorie or low fat.

Quinoa, acai berries and chia seeds are other examples of many foods that have been eaten for a long time in their countries/cultures of origin, but have only recently come to the world's attention (and their plates) by being touted as a "Superfood" - whatever the heck that means. ;)

So I didn't mean to imply that the people from the originating culture or country that the food is from are pretentious for eating these items that have been a part of their regional cuisine from the start. Not what I meant by a long shot, and I apologise if that was the inference derived.

What *is* pretentious to me, however, is that people who'd never even heard of these foods before they were touted as the newest, greatest and healthiest things in the history of food, (Thanks, Doctor Oz!) then jump on the bandwagon, if only because they want to be seen as cutting edge, trendy, or somehow more knowledgeable (and therefore superior) to anyone who hasn't "seen the light" and included them in their repertoire as well. And that, for me, is where the pretentiousness comes into play.

Again, apologies for that not having been made clearer originally. :)

I agree with this. Kale is another example. All dark leafy greens are full of vitamins; there is no reason to give some kind of special super-food status to kale.

The funny thing is that I have been cooking with kale since the nineties-after seeing Emeril Legasse make portugese kale-sausage soup on the Food Network. People didn't use to roll their eyes when I bought it in those days.

Oh, I love that soup!

I grew up eating kale regularly. Along with collard greens, turnip greens, beet greens, etc. Collard greens are definitely more popular in my area but I grow and eat all them regularly.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I went to my kids school this morning, to speak with his first grade teacher.
    He came home yesterday saying he couldn"t bring his Pop tart for their morning snack, because they can only have "healthy snacks".

I was upset. I still am even after speaking with the teacher this morning.
    I teach my child that there are no good or bad foods, unless you have a allergy or ethically cant eat it.

He has been sitting there afraid to pull out his "unhealthy snack" because its not "fruit, or granola bar, or yogurt"(healthy snacks").
    I often send those as well.

I told her not to teach my child about foods being good or bad, because I dont subscribe to that.

Teacher: "So you're ok with him having a sugary Pop Tart in the morning"?
    Me: Yes, I if send it its good enough for him to have. Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts.
    Teacher: blank stare.

Do teachers have the right to teach children sugary snacks are unhealthy?

Are Pop tarts the devil?

Seriously? Might as well send doughnuts with your child since you decide whats good for them anyway, right?

Nothing wrong with donuts either-we had them yesterday for breakfast and shockingly none of us keeled over :p

Might as well send the kids of to school with Snickers in their bellies.

Well yesterday was a Sunday so no school, but since we do a schooling at home program my kids eat most of their meals and snacks at home. There's always things like poptarts and donuts available to them in the house and sometimes they want to eat them and sometimes they don't.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my good food/bad food labels. Better, worse, super, red, go, slow, whoa and all the rest muddy the waters and make it so people feel like they need "nutritional professionals" to tell them what, when and how much is ok to eat.

Good-food-bad-food is as straightforward and unambiguous as it gets. It means a diet of nutritious foods in general with a huge variety of foods to pick from, not just from the healthy/superfood list of the moment. And when I do indulge in "bad foods" I'm not fooling myself into a diet chock full of subpar food that's "not that bad". Aka The Snackwell Effect.

I know it's tantamount to an eating disorder on MFP but of course that's not true. I always know what to eat, I'm not susceptible to food marketing/health washing and to bring this topic back to pop tarts even though it's perfectly fine to eat them and everything else on occasion it would never occur to me to send them to school as a snack - as they're not a good food.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    He came home yesterday saying he couldn"t bring his Pop tart for their morning snack, because they can only have "healthy snacks".

I teach my child that there are no good or bad foods, unless you have a allergy or ethically cant eat it.

He has been sitting there afraid to pull out his "unhealthy snack" because its not "fruit, or granola bar, or yogurt"(healthy snacks").

I told her not to teach my child about foods being good or bad, because I dont subscribe to that.

Me: Yes, I if send it its good enough for him to have. Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts.

Are Pop tarts the devil?

Seriously? Might as well send doughnuts with your child since you decide whats good for them anyway, right?

Nothing wrong with donuts either-we had them yesterday for breakfast and shockingly none of us keeled over :p

Donuts for breakfast every once in a while will hurt no one. Breakfast pastries are a pretty common thing around the world.

Nutrient dense? Maybe not so much. But if the rest of the day is full of nutrient-dense foods, so what?

Though if judging my family for having donuts for breakfast maybe one Sunday per month makes someone feel better about themselves, then that's fine by me. I like doing my part to make others feel better.

Once in a while sure, if you want to eat that stuff. However, doughnuts top this list of worst breakfast foods

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/07/sluggish-start-the-5-worst-breakfast-foods/

Author is a Registered Dietitian and manager of the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute.

Also really like this quote from an earlier poster :

"I teach the students in terms of a traffic light (Red-Occasionally Foods or WHOA Foods, Yellow- Sometimes Food or Slow Foods, Green- Anytime or go foods). I explain to them that no food is good or bad like superheros, rather they do different things to your body. A whoa food is something like cake, ice cream, and other super sugar junk foods or high in fat foods. I explain that they are okay to eat every once in a while like 1-2 a month or on special occasions. Then SLow foods means you can have them sometimes like 1-2 times a week (this is a poptart for me or maybe a dessert after dinner) and then a Go food is anytime like cheese, veggies, fruits, nuts. I try to teach them that food is feul and you should eat to fuel your body."
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would be annoyed at being lectured that a pop tart is unhealthy but fried sugar-laden oats (ie granola) are "healthy".

(that being said I totally appreciate the fatty, sugary, calorie-dense-y-ness of granola as a backpacker).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I would be annoyed at being lectured that a pop tart is unhealthy but fried sugar-laden oats (ie granola) are "healthy".

(that being said I totally appreciate the fatty, sugary, calorie-dense-y-ness of granola as a backpacker).
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Are Pop tarts the devil?

Donuts for breakfast every once in a while will hurt no one. Breakfast pastries are a pretty common thing around the world.

Nutrient dense? Maybe not so much. But if the rest of the day is full of nutrient-dense foods, so what?

Though if judging my family for having donuts for breakfast maybe one Sunday per month makes someone feel better about themselves, then that's fine by me. I like doing my part to make others feel better.

Once in a while sure, if you want to eat that stuff. However, doughnuts top this list of worst breakfast foods

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/07/sluggish-start-the-5-worst-breakfast-foods/

Author is a Registered Dietitian and manager of the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute.

"I teach the students in terms of a traffic light (Red-Occasionally Foods or WHOA Foods, Yellow- Sometimes Food or Slow Foods, Green- Anytime or go foods). I explain to them that no food is good or bad like superheros, rather they do different things to your body. A whoa food is something like cake, ice cream, and other super sugar junk foods or high in fat foods. I explain that they are okay to eat every once in a while like 1-2 a month or on special occasions. Then SLow foods means you can have them sometimes like 1-2 times a week (this is a poptart for me or maybe a dessert after dinner) and then a Go food is anytime like cheese, veggies, fruits, nuts. I try to teach them that food is feul and you should eat to fuel your body."

I don't see anyone in this thread advocating for eating donuts (or Pop Tarts) anything other than once in a while.

We do donuts in our house for breakfast maybe once a month.

But you and others act like all the "everything in moderation" group shove donuts and Pop Tarts in our face holes at every meal, which is just not the case. It's not your place to judge someone for having donuts for breakfast, or feeding their kids donuts for breakfast, for one meal.

It's not life and death. It's food.

Tasty food.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Are Pop tarts the devil?

I don't see anyone in this thread advocating for eating donuts (or Pop Tarts) anything other than once in a while.

We do donuts in our house for breakfast maybe once a month.

But you and others act like all the "everything in moderation" group shove donuts and Pop Tarts in our face holes at every meal, which is just not the case. It's not your place to judge someone for having donuts for breakfast, or feeding their kids donuts for breakfast, for one meal.

It's not life and death. It's food.

Tasty food.

I did say that we have those kinds of foods in the house all the time, but yeah they're not eaten every day. My kids are around it all the time and it's not special or 'forbidden' so it's really not a big deal. If they want a poptart they'll have one but a lot of times they'll raid the fridge for whatever fruit we have, or they'll choose things like crackers and cheese. Today for mid-morning snack one kid had a granola bar, one kid had club crackers and the third kid didn't want anything. And I had to throw out leftover donuts that had gone stale.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I want to try a pop tart now :(
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options

I am re-quoting this in bold because it is exactly the point OP tried to make and so many people are missing it.

Which was kind of lost in all of her ignorant blathering on about how there is no such thing as a healthy or unhealthy food. I do not at all agree with how the teacher handled the situation, but that didn't seem to be the main bone of contention in the first post. The issue was she felt it was outrageous to label a Pop Tart as "unhealthy".

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options

I am re-quoting this in bold because it is exactly the point OP tried to make and so many people are missing it.

Which was kind of lost in all of her ignorant blathering on about how there is no such thing as a healthy or unhealthy food. I do not at all agree with how the teacher handled the situation, but that didn't seem to be the main bone of contention in the first post. The issue was she felt it was outrageous to label a Pop Tart as "unhealthy".

And remember ... we only have one side of the story. The teacher and/or school might tell a completely different story. :)

• cathydubepenner
    cathydubepenner Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Nope.
    OP said she usually sends him with fruit. She sent him in with one Pop Tart, twice, several weeks apart.

If you are eating a varied and nutritious diet, having an occasional Pop Tart is not unhealthy.

She said she sends him in with other things. She never stated how often anything was sent; but you're quoting twice, several weeks apart???
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think I'm more disturbed by the fact that he's been sitting there hungry and afraid to be judged for not eating healthy food.

Who wants their child to be afraid to eat and go hungry? This is how food disorders begin.

But if he took something within the rules he wouldn't be afraid or hungry, correct? It seems like you are perpetuating the problem rather than solving it.

How am I perpetuating the problem?
    I just wrote verbatim what was said along the snack and lunch guidelines, ie what to send.

I also am not nor have I dug my heels about it?

What rules have I decided not to follow and decided to "let him be afraid or hungry?

I have no problem with following the guidelines. But dictating that an occasional snack item is "unhealthy" is not what I want my child taught.

This is why folks come on the forums thinking you must eat "clean" to lose weight.

You are perpetuating the problem by continuing to send pop-tarts when the teacher asked you not to. You said your child feels afraid to bring out his snack and eat it. If you continue to send a snack that makes him feel that way, then you are the one putting your child in that position. You can teach him your nutritional views at home.

What part of I just found out yesterday he wasn't eating did you not understand?

You keep saying the teacher asked me not to send them?
    No, she has not asked me anything.

Thats the problem, no one has said anything to me about what exactly is the ideal snack before hand.

If they had a definitive list of not allowed snacks he wouldn't have been allowed to take it.

I dont have a problem with following the rules.

I have a problem with them classifying said food as unhealthy, when in moderation it's fine.

Trying to indoctrinate my child with "food woo ethics" is my beef.

So, how long has the kid been taking pop-tarts and not eating them? And why is he so afraid to pull out the pop-tart that he'd rather go hungry? The teacher couldn't have seen the pop-tart unless he pulled it out so it seems it would have to be more than once. And if it was more than once and you just found out, why do you suppose the child didn't tell you about it sooner? That's the question I'd ask myself if it were my son.

I think this was the second time he took the pop tart, as I said he usually takes either fruit or a fruit cup.

The first time he took it I heard nothing. Which was a few weeks ago because I'd just purchased the box.

He took another one yesterday, I opened his lunch box after school and it was in there.

Thats when he told me she said he could not have it weeks ago, because it was not healthy.

So he sat hungry that day because he was forbade from eating it (first time), and yesterday because I packed it and didnt know he couldn't have it.

He must have seen it and was afraid to take it out.

I dont know why he didn't tell me sooner. The first one got trashed so I didnt find it then.

But more so, who stops a child from from eating and not providing another snack?

Ok you dont want him to have it, well what else you got?

From page 3
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am a Canadian teacher and the Program of Studies indicated in the following are some of the factors I have to instruct in my classroom. While I would never throw out someone's lunch/snack I do understand (as I also teach and instruct) the classroom's teacher wanting healthy foods in her/his classroom.

-recognize that nutritious foods are needed for growth and to feel good/have energy; e.g., nutritious snacks
    -recognize the importance of basic, healthy, nutritional choices to well-being of self; e.g., variety of
    food, drinking water, eating a nutritious breakfast and snacks
    -classify foods according to Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating, and apply knowledge of food groups to plan for appropriate snacks and meals Apply Canada's food Guide to Healthy Eating to nutritional needs.

-Evaluate personal food choices, and identify strategies to maintain optimal nutrition when eating away from home; e.g., eating healthy fast foods (school)

-Develop strategies that promote healthy nutritional choices for self and others; e.g., adopt goals that reflect healthy eating, encourage the placement of nutritious food in vending machines
  • cathydubepenner
    cathydubepenner Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    [quote="kimny72;38545465"

My comments were directed at the people saying that OP is a lazy, irresponsible, or even abusive parent for allowing her child to eat a Pop Tart. This thread has wandered far from what actually happened at this point.

I agree that respecting a teacher is an important concept to instill, and I kind of agree that if a teacher wants to ban specific foods from the classroom then it's not that big a deal. The whole issue stems from the way the teacher handled it. She took the snack away from the child, threw it out, leaving him without a snack, and told him it was because it was unhealthy. This embarrassed this child to the point he now no longer wants his mother to even buy Pop Tarts to be eaten at home. This is the exact opposite of the kind of relationship with food she wants her son to have, so she feels like the teacher undermined her. OP specifically said that they were given no healthy/unhealthy snack guidelines, and that she usually sends him with fruit. [/quote]

Nothing was stated that the teacher took the snack and threw it away leaving him without a snack. Nothing was mentioned about the teacher embarrassing him. For all we know he was allowed to eat it and then discreetly told not to bring them again. She also sent a note home with him. Obviously this wasn't the first time because she stated he was hesitant in taking the Pop Tart out due to being unhealthy. So obviously there had been a discussion concerning them prior to this time.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

And remember ... we only have one side of the story. The teacher and/or school might tell a completely different story. :)

Thank goodness you mentioned this again. Someone might have forgotten the fact that whenever you hear a story, you're only hearing one side. This sort of common knowledge not only needs to be stated once but a second time. People often forget the glaringly obvious.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

My comments were directed at the people saying that OP is a lazy, irresponsible, or even abusive parent for allowing her child to eat a Pop Tart. This thread has wandered far from what actually happened at this point.

I agree that respecting a teacher is an important concept to instill, and I kind of agree that if a teacher wants to ban specific foods from the classroom then it's not that big a deal. The whole issue stems from the way the teacher handled it. She took the snack away from the child, threw it out, leaving him without a snack, and told him it was because it was unhealthy. This embarrassed this child to the point he now no longer wants his mother to even buy Pop Tarts to be eaten at home. This is the exact opposite of the kind of relationship with food she wants her son to have, so she feels like the teacher undermined her. OP specifically said that they were given no healthy/unhealthy snack guidelines, and that she usually sends him with fruit.

Nothing was stated that the teacher took the snack and threw it away leaving him without a snack. Nothing was mentioned about the teacher embarrassing him. For all we know he was allowed to eat it and then discreetly told not to bring them again. She also sent a note home with him. Obviously this wasn't the first time because she stated he was hesitant in taking the Pop Tart out due to being unhealthy. So obviously there had been a discussion concerning them prior to this time.

And the teacher may well have offered him something else ... but he refused it for one reason or another. We don't know ... we weren't there.

It seems highly unlikely that he would have been forced to go hungry. Most teachers do not want a hungry child in their classrooms.

As I said, we've got one side of the story here, we don't have the whole story. And notice that she hasn't returned to this thread in some time.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    [quote="kimny72;38545465"

I agree that respecting a teacher is an important concept to instill, and I kind of agree that if a teacher wants to ban specific foods from the classroom then it's not that big a deal. The whole issue stems from the way the teacher handled it. She took the snack away from the child, threw it out, leaving him without a snack, and told him it was because it was unhealthy. This embarrassed this child to the point he now no longer wants his mother to even buy Pop Tarts to be eaten at home. This is the exact opposite of the kind of relationship with food she wants her son to have, so she feels like the teacher undermined her. OP specifically said that they were given no healthy/unhealthy snack guidelines, and that she usually sends him with fruit.

[/quote]

Please see the quote I just posted. According to the OP, the first pop tart was thrown out and he had no snack. No note was sent home.
This discussion has been closed.