Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

I went to my kids school this morning, to speak with his first grade teacher.
He came home yesterday saying he couldn"t bring his Pop tart for their morning snack, because they can only have "healthy snacks".

I was upset. I still am even after speaking with the teacher this morning.
I teach my child that there are no good or bad foods, unless you have a allergy or ethically cant eat it.

He has been sitting there afraid to pull out his "unhealthy snack" because its not "fruit, or granola bar, or yogurt"(healthy snacks").
I often send those as well.

I told her not to teach my child about foods being good or bad, because I dont subscribe to that.

Teacher: "So you're ok with him having a sugary Pop Tart in the morning"?
Me: Yes, I if send it its good enough for him to have. Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts.
Teacher: blank stare.

Do teachers have the right to teach children sugary snacks are unhealthy?

Are Pop tarts the devil?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pop tarts are disgusting, crumbly cardboard things...but I don't think a teacher can dictate what your kids brings for snacks/lunch, etc...you might want to talk to the principal

I would also question if the teacher can "dictate". Can she educate to the best of her ability, yes? Can she recommend more nutritious snacks that also have less added sugar? If it's a public school in the U.S., I'm betting she can. But I'd guess that unless it's peanuts, she can't *dictate* what's brought for your kid. For the whole class, maybe.
    And yes, blech.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2017
    I went to my kids school this morning, to speak with his first grade teacher.
    He came home yesterday saying he couldn"t bring his Pop tart for their morning snack, because they can only have "healthy snacks".

I was upset. I still am even after speaking with the teacher this morning.
    I teach my child that there are no good or bad foods, unless you have a allergy or ethically cant eat it.

He has been sitting there afraid to pull out his "unhealthy snack" because its not "fruit, or granola bar, or yogurt"(healthy snacks").
    I often send those as well.

I told her not to teach my child about foods being good or bad, because I dont subscribe to that.

Teacher: "So you're ok with him having a sugary Pop Tart in the morning"?
    Me: Yes, I if send it its good enough for him to have. Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts.
    Teacher: blank stare.

Do teachers have the right to teach children sugary snacks are unhealthy?

Are Pop tarts the devil?

I hate when people dictate nutrition for a large group. Personally I can not eat most fruit, granola or yogurt without serious consequences because of a medical condition (crohn's) which kids also can have. I guess those on fiber and lactose restriction aren't allowed to eat at school?
This discussion has been closed.