Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    she sent pop tarts once...not as a regular thing...

she said IF it makes him feel afraid to bring out his snack and eat
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If I had a kid, I'd take issue with a teacher telling me what I could feed him or her. It's one thing if you're providing a snack for the entire class, but I think a parent should have the right to determine what they feed their child. And I don't think there's anything wrong with a Pop Tart as long as as it's part of an overall balanced and healthy diet. Pop Tarts are awesome. S'more and Sundae flavored are the best.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think I'm more disturbed by the fact that he's been sitting there hungry and afraid to be judged for not eating healthy food.

Who wants their child to be afraid to eat and go hungry? This is how food disorders begin.

But if he took something within the rules he wouldn't be afraid or hungry, correct? It seems like you are perpetuating the problem rather than solving it.

How am I perpetuating the problem?
    I just wrote verbatim what was said along the snack and lunch guidelines, ie what to send.

I also am not nor have I dug my heels about it?

What rules have I decided not to follow and decided to "let him be afraid or hungry?

I have no problem with following the guidelines. But dictating that an occasional snack item is "unhealthy" is not what I want my child taught.

This is why folks come on the forums thinking you must eat "clean" to lose weight.

You are perpetuating the problem by continuing to send pop-tarts when the teacher asked you not to. You said your child feels afraid to bring out his snack and eat it. If you continue to send a snack that makes him feel that way, then you are the one putting your child in that position. You can teach him your nutritional views at home.

What part of I just found out yesterday he wasn't eating did you not understand?

You keep saying the teacher asked me not to send them?
    No, she has not asked me anything.

Thats the problem, no one has said anything to me about what exactly is the ideal snack before hand.

If they had a definitive list of not allowed snacks he wouldn't have been allowed to take it.

I dont have a problem with following the rules.

I have a problem with them classifying said food as unhealthy, when in moderation it's fine.

Trying to indoctrinate my child with "food woo ethics" is my beef.

So, how long has the kid been taking pop-tarts and not eating them? And why is he so afraid to pull out the pop-tart that he'd rather go hungry? The teacher couldn't have seen the pop-tart unless he pulled it out so it seems it would have to be more than once. And if it was more than once and you just found out, why do you suppose the child didn't tell you about it sooner? That's the question I'd ask myself if it were my son.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Do teachers have the right to teach children sugary snacks are unhealthy?

Are Pop tarts the devil?

Schools have a right to set policies about what comes into the school. Sometimes these policies are applied in a dumb way to things like food, scissors, clothing. The teacher means well but probably is like many who believe there are strict lines between healthy and unhealthy foods and everyone needs to be the same. If you disagree strongly with what your child is being taught or a policy you should present your side to the teacher, principal, school board, etc. You may succeed in getting poptarts approved or you may get more foods eliminated from the approved list... maybe they'd set a policy of fresh fruit only. If it is just mildly annoying just ask for an approved snack list, send the approved snacks and tell your kid to enjoy the poptarts at home.

If you are in the US, homeschooling is legal in all states and a great option for educational/personal freedom. Eat whatever, whenever you want! (My child is homeschooled and I am biased for it for a number of reasons.)

My personal opinion of pop tarts as a snack is that they are not unhealthy unless you are allergic to the ingredients or have a medical condition. They are not super packed with nutrition but not any more unhealthy for most people than granola bars, yogurts or other popular snack foods. I wouldn't want a poptart but if my dd wants to eat them occasionally that's fine.

Ha, me too :D Actually we now do an amazing program through a local public school district where my kids do their schooling at home but we're still a part of the district and have a real teacher/support staff that we work with. It's the best of both worlds and it's a newer concept that more and more districts are starting to offer (at least around here). We decided to go this route after dealing with numerous issues at our old school. My oldest daughter is musically gifted as well, and the school district we're now a part of has one of the best orchestra programs in our state :)
  • Sari723
    Sari723 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat pop tarts. I have lost 47lbs in the last year or so. Healthy is relative to your entire lifestyle. I couldnt imagine someone telling me what my kid could or could not eat.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I went to my kids school this morning, to speak with his first grade teacher.
    He came home yesterday saying he couldn"t bring his Pop tart for their morning snack, because they can only have "healthy snacks".

I was upset. I still am even after speaking with the teacher this morning.
    I teach my child that there are no good or bad foods, unless you have a allergy or ethically cant eat it.

He has been sitting there afraid to pull out his "unhealthy snack" because its not "fruit, or granola bar, or yogurt"(healthy snacks").
    I often send those as well.

I told her not to teach my child about foods being good or bad, because I dont subscribe to that.

Teacher: "So you're ok with him having a sugary Pop Tart in the morning"?
    Me: Yes, I if send it its good enough for him to have. Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts.
    Teacher: blank stare.

Do teachers have the right to teach children sugary snacks are unhealthy?

Are Pop tarts the devil?

I think you are missing the reason.
    I too have a 7 year old and we have rules for snacks.

-- Everyone brings in something healthy, so the kids can't trade.
    -- Too much sugar means its harder to control the kids.
    "Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts." --- Can you prove it?

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I always see these kinds of stories, and I've honestly never came across it in my kids school years and have never heard stories from friends. I'm in Canada, so i wonder if there's certain rules or something? Like the story above about her child being forced to drink milk and then stories about kids being forced to eat a certain way unless they get a doctors note. My son and I both have celiac disease and he has secondary lactose intolerance and I've never had to bring a note or anyting. I just said he has celiac disease, don't feed him anything unless he's read the ingredient list, that's it. No issues. They have milk days at school and he gets a juice box. I provide a bag of treats for his classroom in case someone brings in cupcakes or something for a birthday. Only hardset rules in his school are no tree nuts because there's life threatening food allergies. Personally, I wouldn't send my kid to school with a poptart, but it's only because I don't buy them. My oldest son would have the entire box ate in a day, so that food just doesn't come into the house. Funny thing with the teachers suggestions is, I bet if you compared calories/sugar/carbs/fat etc, the granola bar and yogurt would be just as "unhealthy" as the poptart.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think I'm more disturbed by the fact that he's been sitting there hungry and afraid to be judged for not eating healthy food.

Who wants their child to be afraid to eat and go hungry? This is how food disorders begin.

But if he took something within the rules he wouldn't be afraid or hungry, correct? It seems like you are perpetuating the problem rather than solving it.

How am I perpetuating the problem?
    I just wrote verbatim what was said along the snack and lunch guidelines, ie what to send.

I also am not nor have I dug my heels about it?

What rules have I decided not to follow and decided to "let him be afraid or hungry?

I have no problem with following the guidelines. But dictating that an occasional snack item is "unhealthy" is not what I want my child taught.

This is why folks come on the forums thinking you must eat "clean" to lose weight.

You are perpetuating the problem by continuing to send pop-tarts when the teacher asked you not to. You said your child feels afraid to bring out his snack and eat it. If you continue to send a snack that makes him feel that way, then you are the one putting your child in that position. You can teach him your nutritional views at home.

What part of I just found out yesterday he wasn't eating did you not understand?

You keep saying the teacher asked me not to send them?
    No, she has not asked me anything.

Thats the problem, no one has said anything to me about what exactly is the ideal snack before hand.

If they had a definitive list of not allowed snacks he wouldn't have been allowed to take it.

I dont have a problem with following the rules.

I have a problem with them classifying said food as unhealthy, when in moderation it's fine.

Trying to indoctrinate my child with "food woo ethics" is my beef.

So, how long has the kid been taking pop-tarts and not eating them? And why is he so afraid to pull out the pop-tart that he'd rather go hungry? The teacher couldn't have seen the pop-tart unless he pulled it out so it seems it would have to be more than once. And if it was more than once and you just found out, why do you suppose the child didn't tell you about it sooner? That's the question I'd ask myself if it were my son.

I think this was the second time he took the pop tart, as I said he usually takes either fruit or a fruit cup.

The first time he took it I heard nothing. Which was a few weeks ago because I'd just purchased the box.

He took another one yesterday, I opened his lunch box after school and it was in there.

Thats when he told me she said he could not have it weeks ago, because it was not healthy.

So he sat hungry that day because he was forbade from eating it (first time), and yesterday because I packed it and didnt know he couldn't have it.

He must have seen it and was afraid to take it out.

I dont know why he didn't tell me sooner. The first one got trashed so I didnt find it then.

But more so, who stops a child from from eating and not providing another snack?

Ok you dont want him to have it, well what else you got?

If the teacher threw it in the trash (assuming that's what was meant by 'trashed') then I might speak to the principal about that. She should have simply let him know it was not acceptable and not to bring it again.

You really might want to talk your child about why he didn't tell you about it when it first happened. You don't seem particularly open to anything other than agreement here in this forum. If you are as rigid at home re: nutrition you might want to find out if that's what made him reluctant to tell you what the teacher said.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think the more valuable lesson here would have been to explain that idiots are everywhere, but unfortunately you'll sometimes have to deal with them dictating what you can or can't do in certain situations for the rest of your life, and that it doesn't make it right, but it's appropriate to pick your battles. It's just a pop tart.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    They probably allow "healthy" snacks. My kids' PUBLIC school didn't allow poptarts.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    http://www.sugarstacks.com/breakfast.htm

I'm not advocating for Pop Tarts as a regular part in ANYONE'S diet, but I think based on the nutritional statistics it's hard to argue that there are MUCH better choices. Obesity and food driven health problems have become a very common-place thing now. Encouraging anyone, kids or adults, on how to make better food choices should be common sense. Regardless of the school situation, this is common sense.
This discussion has been closed.