Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

Options

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    OMG - Pop Tarts are NOT healthy foods - and kudos to the teacher for trying to educate their students, and parents. Granola bars are just as bad... what's wrong with carrots, apples, grapes, and celery sticks? Seriously people!

There's nothing wrong with Poptarts or granola bars within the context of a varied and balanced diet. My kids eat poptarts, granola bars AND things like carrots, apples and grapes (not celery sticks though because ick :p ). The teacher who told me my son couldn't bring in pretzels and fishy crackers anymore because they weren't 'healthy' was also very overweight. Not really interested in what her definition of 'healthy' was.

I thought I was the only one who called them fishy crackers!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    brdnw wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    brdnw wrote: »
    400 calories for a pack of poptarts is certainly trash. I don't know why you'd buy them.
    Because kids sometime want something sweet and as part of a balanced diet there is nothing wrong with them?

400 calories probably make up 1\3 of their daily needs depending on their age, and you want that to go to poptarts? What about poptarts aide in a 'balanced' diet?

2 poptarts have a total of 76g of carbs. That's gross.

Lots of people only eat one pop tart, I believe OP said she gave him one. A 200 calorie sweet treat fits quite nicely into an otherwise nutritious and balanced diet.

76 grams of carbs is "gross"? :confused:

I have literally never known anyone who only ate one Poptart. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying that if they do exist, I've never seen them in the wild. Also, if they're only eating one, congrats, they're now only eating 1/6 of their daily calories in what is basically pure sugar on cardboard. Give them a banana with some peanut butter if you really want to give them a snack that's that caloric.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    OMG - Pop Tarts are NOT healthy foods - and kudos to the teacher for trying to educate their students, and parents. Granola bars are just as bad... what's wrong with carrots, apples, grapes, and celery sticks? Seriously people!

There's nothing wrong with Poptarts or granola bars within the context of a varied and balanced diet. My kids eat poptarts, granola bars AND things like carrots, apples and grapes (not celery sticks though because ick :p ). The teacher who told me my son couldn't bring in pretzels and fishy crackers anymore because they weren't 'healthy' was also very overweight. Not really interested in what her definition of 'healthy' was.

Your kid is probably healthy but how many kids in his/her class have parents that dont give them healthy balanced meals? How do you explain to one child that it's not ok for them to eat poptarts (because their parents dont have the knowledge to make healthy choices) while they see their classmate eating poptarts? The teacher is an adult. The policy is meant for children and was probably not made by their class teacher.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    You can have my Pop Tarts when you pry them from my cold,dead fingers.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    alarmed123 wrote: »
    Is this post a joke? Are we being trolled? Lol if not, pop tarts are the worst snack you could ever give your child, loaded with empty calories and a ton of sugar. My kids take apples to school. I'm not mother of the year but I'll be dammed if I send my children to an early grave because of disgusting food that over time will kill them and decrease years from their life. Ok I'm done lol

Let me just drop this here in case you missed it upthread:
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
  • aikilady
    aikilady Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My son almost got his Zevia taken away at lunch because there is a no soda rule. He then explained to the teacher it's carbonated water with natural flavors.
    I guess they have a no soda rule at my school which I actually think is great, there are so many parents that don't give a *kitten* about their kids or what they eat… It's really sad.
    I'm sure that doesn't describe the OP,
    But I would just look on the positive side and be happy that my school was encouraging healthy habits and they care about the health of my child. Save the junk snacks like pop tarts for special occasions at home, and send them healthy nutritious snacks to feed their brain when they go to school. That's JMHO though.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    rosnz wrote: »
    This irritates me too. My son for 5 years every day took only 3 plain bread rolls for his lunch. No butter no filling no fruit. Nothing else. That's what he wanted and that's what he had. I made sure it was all balanced with a big healthy sustaining breakfast and after school tea / dinner etc . This teacher has no idea of what else your kid eats in a day. I bet some of those tucking into An apple and hummus dip are eating KFC for dinner!

What's wrong with KFC? Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein.

You have clearly forgotten about the toxic sodium bicarbonate....

Darn. I've been trying to stay out of this thread for days but you people had to suck me in with an opening a mile wide...

Mission accomplished. <3
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    My last post on this absurdity. Why with all the choices in the world, would you want to argue about the validity of feeding your child a food like product loaded with xenoestrogens, Yellow #5, Red 40 and TBHQ????? If you don't know what these are, then I suggest you google it. If these even a hint of a problem with a food why would you risk a loved one's health? Then there's the bigger picture of teaching our children bad choices from good. It's our responsibility to be the adult and learn to say no to some things and offer a choice from better options. The end, I'm done, ultimately it's your family's well being you're impacting.

My kids are in excellent health and two of them like to have poptarts occasionally. They understand how calories work (even my 8 year old son) and they know about macros and micros. My kids have a good understanding of nutrition and they all have a great relationship with food. They eat what they like in moderation and eat a varied diet. Exactly the same as I've learned to do.

My mom labeled foods 'good' and 'bad' and has had a distorted and unhealthy relationship with food since she was 11 years old. She's also been obese most of her life and has struggled with a bingeing ED. I refuse to label foods-it's a arbitrary process that can easily lead to all sorts of issues.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading this dumpster fire. I have no dog in this fight. I homeschool my kids. One of them likes the fancy organic poptarts (because they come in a flavor she prefers), the other doesn't even like poptarts at all.

Me? I have celiac disease and in honor of this thread am seriously thinking of getting those Glutino frosted poptarts I saw at Wegmans last week. I really, really miss the frosted poptarts a lot and was thrilled that Glutino introduced frosted versions. I'll have them for my maintenance day treat.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Confession time... I have never eaten a PopTart. After 14 pages telling me they are the food of the devil, I now want to eat an entire box of them. Which flavours are the best?

There are a lot of new flavors, but when I was a kid, my favorites were anything with frosting and crunchy stuff on it.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Confession time... I have never eaten a PopTart. After 14 pages telling me they are the food of the devil, I now want to eat an entire box of them. Which flavours are the best?

S'mores for the win. BUT if you're going to heat them, go easy. The insides will turn to hot magma if you're not careful.

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

S'mores, hands down. I did once slay an entire box of those.
This discussion has been closed.