Options
14567810»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    (This last sentence was kind of ranty if you are keeping track.)

Nope - you have completely lost me well before then to be honest.
    Maybe it's a case of "two nations divided by a common language"?

So let's leave it now as it's clearly not productive use of our time. I wasn't being unfriendly by the way - I do enjoy a debate, these forums would be desperately dull without debate. Have a great evening watching furry animals playing a game called football mostly with their hands (paws?). :flowerforyou:

• BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's because it's based on volume. A volume of fat weighs less than the same
    Volume filled with muscle.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    lemur cat: CattofTheGa wrote

"Because it is not true. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat." Or takes up less space. Tomato tomahto.

Anyway, the other question is one I would like a good answer to. It's often said on here that it's completely impossible to gain muscle mass while on a deficit, but other sources say that some beginner gains are possible, though after that first stage it flattens out. What is the truth?

Also, what is the story with gaining strength on a deficit? It's clearly possible to gain a lot of strength and muscle endurance while in a deficit, I've done it myself. How is that actually possible without gaining muscle mass? And if you can get stronger without gaining mass, why does bulking matter? Is it purely an aesthetic thing, or is there a ceiling to how strong you can get without adding mass?
    It's called neuromuscular adaptation. And while lots of people can get stronger without adding mass, adding mass will make it much easier. People bulk to add more muscle to what they have already.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Contingency, you are assuming what people think. Obviously not everyone thinks the obvious that you just pointed out, which is the reason why there are so many who disagree with the fact that one pound of fat equals one pound of muscle. If one pound of muscle in volume is smaller in volume then one pound of fat, which is true, then when we have more muscle and less fat, we can weigh the same but look "Less Fat".

You said "Pretty much understood by everyone" but "pretty much" leaves a lot of others out there who do not understand the obvious.

I am simply pointing out how wrong you are in what you said in your own your own words.

Does "Pretty much everyone thinks they burned calories today" mean that "Everyone thinks they burned calories today?" Based on your comment you would say yes, that the two statements are equal but they aren't. Therefore, you become the douche and the troll. LOL. Good luck with that one.....

Lol. I think pretty much everyone is aware of who the troll is in this thread.

Well, I'm not. We all seem to be trolls at this point. He's a troll, she's a troll, you're a troll, I'm quite obviously a troll, and we're all still arguing, though nobody seems to know what about, probably the fact that three pounds of elephant costs more than a pint of mouse on the moon, but is it a metric pint or an Imperial pint? And don't forget about the ambient temperature!

All I know is, it's all jolly good fun and everything but I can't quite understand why it's still going on. I just nipped over to Reddit to look for recipes (which I realise is a bit like buying laundry detergent at Ann Summers) and I came back to find 63 new posts. It's like some kind of nuclear chain reaction that's now powered by its own heat.

Well, all I can say is thank you to those people who have given me lovely polite explanations of how to develop muscle strength in a deficit. You've finally cleared that up, at least.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Could someone link the thread?

Found it! Here, @lemurcat12 , 7th reply.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36640231#Comment_36640231

Yay! Yes, that's it: Not imaginary, I knew I'd read something like that somewhere, someone really said a pound of muscle weighs the same as 6 pounds of fat. Just wow.

Oh, I missed that post. Thanks so much, @ClosetBayesian!
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    (This last sentence was kind of ranty if you are keeping track.)

Nope - you have completely lost me well before then to be honest.
    Maybe it's a case of "two nations divided by a common language"?

So let's leave it now as it's clearly not productive use of our time. I wasn't being unfriendly by the way - I do enjoy a debate, these forums would be desperately dull without debate. Have a great evening watching furry animals playing a game called football mostly with their hands (paws?). :flowerforyou:

I wasn't being unfriendly either in the first post. You seem to have read it in a different tone than it was meant. It was meant to be conversational, sharing views, joking around a bit, a bit overly analytical, not a rant.

But it seems to have bugged you, so no biggie. I think you gave OP bit of weird pleasure, even!
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options
    THANK YOU ANNPT77 and BLESS YOU!!! There is another one lemurcat. Do you need more? How many more will it take? Or will you somehow say that the comment is not saying what it is saying.....?

There is one. And I admit I was surprised. That's extremely unusual and I would love to ask that poster what she meant by that and where she got the information. I still believe that's NOT what most people (all but a tiny number, vanishing few) mean when they say "muscle weighs more than fat," but feel free to ask them if you are confused.

You still haven't responded to my explanation of how you misinterpreted the post you cited. Any comments?

I'm also curious what you think the relationship between fat and muscle is, care to explain? You expressed doubt, for example, that the same person could be smaller at a heavier weight. Is that something you still have questions about?

Also, was my explanation of how to quote helpful?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Contingency, you are assuming what people think. Obviously not everyone thinks the obvious that you just pointed out, which is the reason why there are so many who disagree with the fact that one pound of fat equals one pound of muscle. If one pound of muscle in volume is smaller in volume then one pound of fat, which is true, then when we have more muscle and less fat, we can weigh the same but look "Less Fat".

You said "Pretty much understood by everyone" but "pretty much" leaves a lot of others out there who do not understand the obvious.

I am simply pointing out how wrong you are in what you said in your own your own words.

Does "Pretty much everyone thinks they burned calories today" mean that "Everyone thinks they burned calories today?" Based on your comment you would say yes, that the two statements are equal but they aren't. Therefore, you become the douche and the troll. LOL. Good luck with that one.....

Lol. I think pretty much everyone is aware of who the troll is in this thread.

Well, I'm not. We all seem to be trolls at this point. He's a troll, she's a troll, you're a troll, I'm quite obviously a troll, and we're all still arguing, though nobody seems to know what about, probably the fact that three pounds of elephant costs more than a pint of mouse on the moon, but is it a metric pint or an Imperial pint? And don't forget about the ambient temperature!

All I know is, it's all jolly good fun and everything but I can't quite understand why it's still going on. I just nipped over to Reddit to look for recipes (which I realise is a bit like buying laundry detergent at Ann Summers) and I came back to find 63 new posts. It's like some kind of nuclear chain reaction that's now powered by its own heat.

Well, all I can say is thank you to those people who have given me lovely polite explanations of how to develop muscle strength in a deficit. You've finally cleared that up, at least.

WE ALL GET A TROLL!

tyzhq805d2ff.jpg
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,782 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is what happens when a troll builds muscle (hint: it's not the pink hair...or is it?)
    7fb4c097680e99d87b91a271bfe235f0.jpg

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,966 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this closed discussion may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Nova
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.