Looking for friends who don't eat "clean" and healthy

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Also, I REALLY want that brownie sundae. I LOVE brownie sundaes...
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone eats "clean" all the time in our modern society. Who doesn't want a Dorito or a Pepsi once in a while?!
  • Kayeb90
    Kayeb90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. While I still try to make healthier choices and stay within my calorie goals I still eat whatever I want. Anyone feel free to add me sadly most of my friends list has stagnated over the past year but I love making the journey with people! Don't be surprised if one day you see tons of veggies and a shake and another day Korean fried chicken and rice cakes!
  • lapesadilla
    lapesadilla Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to keep it health-ish, but i love food, beer and cocktails and trying new restaurants and bars, especially when i travel. i really want to find a balance between the things that bring me pleasure & passion in life and feeling good and staying healthy. i don't think i could ever do the kale-pile-every-day-havent-seen-a-carb-in-a-decade thing that seems to be de rigeur. i'd honestly rather just crawl into a casket and shut the door behind me.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to keep it health-ish, but i love food, beer and cocktails and trying new restaurants and bars, especially when i travel. i really want to find a balance between the things that bring me pleasure & passion in life and feeling good and staying healthy. i don't think i could ever do the kale-pile-every-day-havent-seen-a-carb-in-a-decade thing that seems to be de rigeur. i'd honestly rather just crawl into a casket and shut the door behind me.

That casket would start getting pretty crowded :tongue: (I'd be right in there as well).

• ana_varn
    ana_varn Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Is it ok if I eat both healthy and unhealthy? :P
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Food. Me. love. food. That is all... carry on. :smile:
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ana_varn wrote: »

Lol..I love broccoli almost as much as I love cheese.
  • peasmoosh
    peasmoosh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love junk. And frequently at the weekends, part of my calorie goal is made up by slimline gin and tonics...
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    alcohol definitely has calories, it's true that the body processes alcohol before moving on to other things though. but you can get a calorie count for it and treat it like any other macro that you account for.

the wine with 0 calories was a hypothetical. like if wine had 0 calories i would hypothetically be drinking a lot more of it.

yes wine and beer have calories, they have actual sugar in them still, it's not all distilled out. i was talking about hard liquor. i couldn't find an accurate calorie count for it. in my research online, i found out that vodka/rum/etc does not actually have calories. i see people on MFP enter calories for hard liquor but i can't find the basis for this.

i use the USDA food search to verify calories for most foods, and it has distilled spirits there too. so i go with that
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4158?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=vodka&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

i've never heard that alcohol doesn't have calories, but i've heard the 'empty calories' argument like a bajillion times, for me they're not empty, they're full of fun. i also don't tend to binge eat when drinking, i'm the opposite, i am totally turned off by food once i have a buzz going. i think it's equally problematic in its own way but it balances out the calories.

giphy.gif
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    ana_varn wrote: »

Speaking for myself (and my diary is open; feel free to check it out), I eat mostly healthy. Not "clean". I eat a number of packaged and frozen processed foods. We're talking about stuff like veggie dogs and Gardein. Greek yogurt is a breakfast staple. And, although I give them a perfunctory rinse, plenty of canned beans and other vegetables.

Mostly, I've embraced the wisdom that 'The more foods you like you eliminate while losing weight, the less likely you are to maintain that weight'. So what does that mean in practice for me?

It means I haven't eliminated any food completely from my diet.

There are foods I'll have almost every day (mostly healthy choices, though your mileage may vary with some of my choices. I generally log at least 1 tbsp of vegan sour cream a day. And plenty of string cheese and veggie dogs.)

There are once-a-week foods, like the frosted cookie and 2 pieces of potato kugel I have after synagogue on Saturday. I can't keep that stuff in my house without nibbling or feeling tempted to. But I can have some once a week at a buffet and then go home.

There are occasional foods that aren't quite as once-in-a-while as I'd like to think. I have a decent-sized family. They all have birthdays. Family dinners. Holiday dinners. And I will work with my calories, using some combination of lighter meals, fewer snacks, more exercise, to make sure that I can have a piece of birthday cake, or a couple of potato latkes, or a handful of jelly beans and a bowl of ice cream, and not go over my calories.

Going out to a restaurant falls in with the last paragraph, too. I need to plan for those meals and I'll check the menu ahead of time to identify healthier, lower-calorie options. Here... is where I have eliminated certain foods. Not because they're inherently bad, but because the portion I get won't be a moderate one, I'm not good at leaving food over on my plate, and I find that restaurant food doesn't taste nearly as good if I take half of it home in a to-go box to eat during the week. So, if I make potato gnocchi in tomato sauce, using the recipe builder, I know the calories for 1/4 of a recipe and I'll eat and log it, no problem at all. I order the same dish in a restaurant and it's likely to be a calorie bomb and easily twice the size of my regular serving. So I don't order the gnocchi; I have soup and a substantial salad. Or I have a personal pizza, because there are enough details about personal pizzas in the MFP database that I can approximate the calories, even if there's a greater margin for error.

There are foods I don't buy anymore because right here, right now, at this point, I don't have confidence that I can hold myself to a moderate portion. But I don't consider these to be "bad" foods I need to cut out of my diet. I consider them to be "good" foods... a little too good... that I'm taking a break from. Still might have them out as an occasional food.

I don't have cheat meals. I don't go over my calories (MFP allotment plus 50% of exercise). I log everything. And if I see that I have the calories for something a little less 'healthy', I log it, see that it doesn't put me over for the day, tell myself that "A treat is not a cheat"... and see my weight keep dropping.

*applauds* Very well put. I was going to write something similar but then I saw that you had this covered way better than I would have done. :smile:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Working at home today, which means I deviate from my pre-prepped lunches. Seriously the most amazing lunch I've had in months: 1/2 cup green chili, corn tortilla chips, a small tamale, and my roasted green bean recipe from dinner leftovers.

Seriously this is so delicious and satisfying.

I'm as green as the spinach in the mixed green salad with turkey I had for lunch today :tongue:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Working at home today, which means I deviate from my pre-prepped lunches. Seriously the most amazing lunch I've had in months: 1/2 cup green chili, corn tortilla chips, a small tamale, and my roasted green bean recipe from dinner leftovers.

Seriously this is so delicious and satisfying.

I'm as green as the spinach in the mixed green salad with turkey I had for lunch today :tongue:

Most days lunch for me is about the same. Grilled chicken or fish, a veg, a fruit, and a mini bagel. On days I work from home, I make it yummier.

I might have the same thing for dinner tonight since it looks like I've escaped cooking for everyone!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    true confession: my friends who are staying with me while thier house is tented cooked me dinner last night. i've never had spaghetti squash before but goddamn is it delicious with moroccan spices. also on the menu was grilled salmon with fresh dill and caramelized leeks and carrots. would i be a terrible person if i sabotaged their house tenting so they make me more dinners?
  • kmorrow0712
    kmorrow0712 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm thinkin buffalo chicken and bleu cheese tonight...But what to put it in. Tortilla? Decisions...
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I definitely do not eat clean, haha. Just after having a cheeseburger with chips and a chocolate cake
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Not gonna read through 39 pages... Did somebody already say IIFYM?