The reality of maintenance...

Options

Replies

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Wonderful thread. Marked as a favourite for regular consultation!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! Thank you lorrpb for posting about it and thanks to all who have commented!
    I think I am at maintenance now. I am just not sure. I started at 338lbs three years ago and now I am 134.1. My original goal was 128 but I think that might be unreasonable? Not sure...I am in my BMI range. I still feel like the heaviest person in the room. I am so worried about going back. But I am trying to ease up a little bit- 4 days a week I do maintenance calories and 3 days reduction. 1590 on maintenance and 1200 on reduction days. This makes me feel a little less scared. I count everything and that doesn't bother me- I am okay with doing that for the rest of my life. I just need to figure out the real right amount of calories/exercise combo to maintain. I actually talked with my therapist about this. She lost 100 lbs and has kept it off for more than 10+ years now. She said she has a "drop dead point" where she knows if she gets up to a certain weight, it's time to resume serious reduction and tracking, but other than that she will allow herself to fluctuate 3-4 lbs. I was thinking about trying that. How did you all find your final goal?
    Thank you again!

Wow! You are awesome! Your therapist is too, and she is right. Set a maintenance range of about 5 pounds. Your weight will never be just one number. I think most people on maintenance will tell you not to fixate on one number but to have a range.
  • razorwoman
    razorwoman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I originally set my calorie goal based on my ultimate weight goal because I had about 15 pounds to lose. So for me, maintenance is actually exactly the same as loss. A bit depressing at times but it means that I am getting used to eating the way I need to eat forever - from the very start. In other words, I eat what a person who weighs 140 lbs should eat and since I am NOT 140 lbs., my body loses weight. Until I get there. It seems so unfair that as you lose weight, you get to eat less and less. So I've been exercising and monitoring my intake as though I was at my goal and that is easier for me.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about something I as read people's posts:

Does anyone know someone who has always been thin / never had a weight problem whom they can ask what they do? Do people who have always been thin even think about these things? Do they weigh themselves (and, if so, how often)? Do they plan ahead for birthdays or dinners out?

It would be interesting to see responses from people in their 30s, 40s, etc -- both men and women.

I can't think who to ask ... But I wonder about people who just seem to naturally maintain -- though they probably do not think of it that way at all. Anyone up for a research project? :wink: Anyone know?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Have nothing to add,but have so enjoyed this thread.There is a lot to read over & think about.This might be one of the better threads on MFP,so much info & help.Thanks for sharing.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,375 Member
    Options
    I'm not at maintenance yet, , have 30 more to go, but I will never go back to eating like I used to. I hated feeling full & sluggish. I feel great, have more energy & sleep better. I love feeling good and am actually eating more variety & alot more often than before.
  • Lynn5707
    Lynn5707 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic. I had lost about 95#, and I am up about 40 from my lowest. I would be happy to lose 20-30. I, too, had mindset that I would never go back to old habits, yet slowly those habits returned. I became more comfortable with my new look, and looking back would allow some indulgences, which became more frequent. I stopped tracking. Then life gets in the way. I just rejoined weight watchers as their meetings really helped me during my weight loss. I a, determined to get extra weight off. I agree this is a lifelong learning experience. :)