The reality of maintenance...

Options

Replies

• chibir1ku
    chibir1ku Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've been wondering about something I as read people's posts:

Does anyone know someone who has always been thin / never had a weight problem whom they can ask what they do? Do people who have always been thin even think about these things? Do they weigh themselves (and, if so, how often)? Do they plan ahead for birthdays or dinners out?

It would be interesting to see responses from people in their 30s, 40s, etc -- both men and women.

I can't think who to ask ... But I wonder about people who just seem to naturally maintain -- though they probably do not think of it that way at all. Anyone up for a research project? :wink: Anyone know?

I have been always thin and I've been on maitenance for 8 years now, after losing some 15 vanity pounds. I like being slim and I'm petite so I always watch what I eat... I counted calories in order to lose the little weight I wanted but I don't anymore. I have a very good idea of what normal portions sizes and indulgences look like though, and I'm very active. If I fall off my desired range I might eat at a deficit for a few days and that's it. The first year was the hardest, now I find it completely natural.

I think a lot of people behave somewhat like this, only they might have more forgiveable weight ranges and they probably don't mind of they go over a little.
    Others just eat what they want and only worry if there is noticeable weight gain (my bf is like this, and I was like this until I shed the vanity pounds off).
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    chibir1ku wrote: »

Does anyone know someone who has always been thin / never had a weight problem whom they can ask what they do? Do people who have always been thin even think about these things? Do they weigh themselves (and, if so, how often)? Do they plan ahead for birthdays or dinners out?

It would be interesting to see responses from people in their 30s, 40s, etc -- both men and women.

I can't think who to ask ... But I wonder about people who just seem to naturally maintain -- though they probably do not think of it that way at all. Anyone up for a research project? :wink: Anyone know?

I have been always thin and I've been on maitenance for 8 years now, after losing some 15 vanity pounds. I like being slim and I'm petite so I always watch what I eat... I counted calories in order to lose the little weight I wanted but I don't anymore. I have a very good idea of what normal portions sizes and indulgences look like though, and I'm very active. If I fall off my desired range I might eat at a deficit for a few days and that's it. The first year was the hardest, now I find it completely natural.

I think a lot of people behave somewhat like this, only they might have more forgiveable weight ranges and they probably don't mind of they go over a little.
    Others just eat what they want and only worry if there is noticeable weight gain (my bf is like this, and I was like this until I shed the vanity pounds off).

Yeah, I was thinking: before I got sick / injured, it was actually never on my radar screen. I just lived life: ate when I was hungry, didn't when I wasn't. I did that until I was about 35 yrs old and then got sick -- life / health was completely different starting at that point. But, until then people wd warn me about my metabolism slowing down "when I got older" [whenever that is] or "it catching up with me" -- those warnings started when I was around 18 yrs old. It never did "catch up to me." I did gain weight after a bad injury -- but, really, life / my body was not normal by anyone's standards for many years as I was dealing with and recovering from a trauma.

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yep, sometimes I get tired of being "on top" of food/activity so much. But...if I totally let loose for longer than a week, the weight comes back and I feel crummy from all the high cal food. And the longer I'm off track the longer it takes to get fully back on. I'm looking at you, December and your constant availability of delicious cheese.

Unfortunately the only person close to me who has never been overweight is my husband and I know how he does it. He doesn't eat much. Growing up he had two working parents who didn't cook, didn't have much food around the house, so he'd maybe eat a bowl of cereal (if they had any) and A regular dinner. Now during the week he works 12-16 hr days and doesn't get lunch. He eats coffee and dinner (&dessert) most days, eats a small breakfast and dinner on weekends. Not sustainable for me, not healthy for him either (he's a bit under weight).

So...wish I had a good example! Mostly I'm the example, I suppose. I've maintained my weight for 18 years, not counting pregnancies and a brief bought with depression in my 20s (gained 20lbs).
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah - most of the 'always been small' folks in my life have healthy habits and eat smaller meals. They still enjoy cookies and cake and chips, but far far less of those than I did when I was heavy. To maintain weight loss, we have to do the same - adopt healthier eating habits for the rest of our lives.

A few of the smaller folks I know are athletes, and rather than eating smaller meals, they do lots of exercise and get to eat bigger meals... but they still have pretty doggone healthy eating habits. So again, healthier eating habits for the rest of our lives. :) Not a hardship. I feel better when I eat better. Period.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    findingone wrote: »

Just my .02 cents.

@findingone - that's a pretty darn solid .02 cents. It resonated.

Cheers :)
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yep, sometimes I get tired of being "on top" of food/activity so much. But...if I totally let loose for longer than a week, the weight comes back and I feel crummy from all the high cal food. And the longer I'm off track the longer it takes to get fully back on. I'm looking at you, December and your constant availability of delicious cheese.

Unfortunately the only person close to me who has never been overweight is my husband and I know how he does it. He doesn't eat much. Growing up he had two working parents who didn't cook, didn't have much food around the house, so he'd maybe eat a bowl of cereal (if they had any) and A regular dinner. Now during the week he works 12-16 hr days and doesn't get lunch. He eats coffee and dinner (&dessert) most days, eats a small breakfast and dinner on weekends. Not sustainable for me, not healthy for him either (he's a bit under weight).

So...wish I had a good example! Mostly I'm the example, I suppose. I've maintained my weight for 18 years, not counting pregnancies and a brief bought with depression in my 20s (gained 20lbs).

I had a similar situation to your husband growing up as there was little to no food available in the house at any given moment. It led me to overeat and be greedy when food was available to me. I didn't realize it at the time but I ate like I'd never see food again because I honestly didn't know when I would. My maintenance really centers around my body's knowledge that at x time or y level of hunger I will be fed. This realization of my needs was one of the biggest catalysts to my reaching maintenance in the first place. That being said I'm at the top of my range and need to get my butt in gear...off I go to earn dinner :)
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I hate this topic. I have mfp set to a deficit just to keep me mindful - in reality I eat close to maintenance, which is fine because I'm happy with my weight for the most part. I have 3-4 lbs I wouldn't mind losing, but no matter what or when I eat, I'm hungry (understatement) enough to eat another, entire meal within two hours of finishing the last meal. High fiber, high protein/fats - doesn't matter what I eat. I want more.

One of the folks on my friends list said something like "Having a 3000 calorie appetite on a 2000 calorie restriction"...something like that.

The only saving grace for me I think is that I'm super active, every day. I just don't want to think I'm going to have to argue with myself like this for the rest of my life over food. I eat to live, not live to eat.

darn it lol

Why do you hate this topic!?! Oooor was that sarcasm...cant tell through writing.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I hate this topic. I have mfp set to a deficit just to keep me mindful - in reality I eat close to maintenance, which is fine because I'm happy with my weight for the most part. I have 3-4 lbs I wouldn't mind losing, but no matter what or when I eat, I'm hungry (understatement) enough to eat another, entire meal within two hours of finishing the last meal. High fiber, high protein/fats - doesn't matter what I eat. I want more.

One of the folks on my friends list said something like "Having a 3000 calorie appetite on a 2000 calorie restriction"...something like that.

The only saving grace for me I think is that I'm super active, every day. I just don't want to think I'm going to have to argue with myself like this for the rest of my life over food. I eat to live, not live to eat.

darn it lol

Why do you hate this topic!?! Oooor was that sarcasm...cant tell through writing.
    Sarcasm, and directed at myself :)
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    findingone wrote: »
    I love food so much that it is number 1 to me above all else, sex, God...you name it, food has the spotlight. Maybe it's the Italian meatball in me but man, food is too good to not work for. So that being said, I used to think oh when I lose all the weight I'll go back to eating "normal". I I figured out, like 7 months into my journey, that "normal" was really a warped, lazy, depressive, sad mental, emotional, physical state. I literally had to realize that every healthy person struggles with the ups and downs of self control while eating, exercising, not jamming food into your mouth, worrying about getting fat or physically unattractive and so on. THAT is the normal healthy way of living. Not some *kitten* sick eat everything until I am stuffed and packed then sit on the couch and watch TV and then go to bed with crumbs on your shirt. That is such a bad state but I was so conditioned over the years of bad eating, nutrition and physical health that I realized all I wanted to do was to get back to not caring, being lazy. F$ck that.

Now I am in a total different mindset. It came from a year of solid work. Some of these lessons weren't learned even 6 months in. I feel now that 1. Physical exercise lifts depression. And that in itself causes a lot of mental stress and emotions to clear/be understood. I am too lazy to type so I'll try to sum it up. After all my self thought while walking/jogging miles on end, going from 335 to 185 I know now that food should be earned. Not only is it 400 billion times tastier, more rewarding when you are not cramming stuff into your mouth, it should be looked forward to. Before I was eating so much that food was just there, like blah. Now when I taste even *kitten* pizza, it's like straight from Luigis kitchen in Italy. But also be freaking vain a bit! Don't be too shy to want to look good in clothes or be attractive again. We are all good looking good people inside. Show your light to the world and if a bit of vanity get's your *kitten* moving and happy to see the numbers fly off the scale because your a good looking cat, so be it. That in moderation is healthy too.

I appreciate the bones sticking out of me, not crazy but just that I am thin again. Blood pressure is down to 116/69 from 140/95. Every single health problem I had is gone. Type 2 beetus, Sleep apnea, Vitamin deficiency, Hypertension, Swollen ankles/calves. I ran 2 5k's back to back. You will be so happy. Maintaining isn't that hard. Just set a 10 pound range to fluctuate in. Mine is 180 -190. So when I get to 180 I am free to eat like a piggy until 187 then I start thinking, ok time to bust *kitten* again, start really pushing it. So I bounce up and down and worry all the time LIKE A NORMAL HEALTHY PERSON does. The worry...right? The worry is normal, NOT WORRYING and consuming everything is NOT NORMAL. I used to be very healthy, 180 lbs, sprinted and played tons of sports up until 23. Then I got married and stopped giving a *kitten*. I had to change. I wanted to be myself again.

I am not doing what I am trying to convey justice but just trying to give a mindset. Maintaining is just to me how it's normal to worry about getting unhealthy. And that is normal physical health everyday life how it should be. It's all good. Get to your goal weight and join the rest of the healthy world. Enjoy food. Eat whatever you want but keep track of calories. When you get to the end of normal range, tighten it up a bit with exercise. Freak that eating greens and healthy all day long, eat pizza, cheezits, soda. Just fit it in healthier and within your calories. Oh and then God forbid to actually move a bit and get the best anti depressant meds ever made...endorphins and then your able to eat more that day, gee the nerve huh ;). It's not all doom and gloom at all. But time and work needs to be done to your mental and physical state to understand this. It's doesn't happen overnight. Took me a solid year. AND despite being on *kitten* mental health meds. Prolixin is what I am on. If I can do this while on mental health num num pills, you can certainly do it. Don't give up. Give yourself a chance to have peace and be happy with yourself.

Just my .02 cents. Love all you guys/ladies and I want you to have what I learned. It is a cool, good, happy, solid feeling. That comes with a bit of nervousness all the time worrying about getting fat again. And that is the lifelong internal/eternal struggle we all go through. :) Wish you all the best of luck.

Thank you for this. Seriously. Made a big difference for me. Love it!
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I would consider myself naturally thin. I lost about 10 vanity pounds last year(I'm in my 40's). Prior to putting on that weight, I never thought about food, weighed myself about once a year (number never changed) and just never really ate much. I don't have a big appetite. I stopped when I was full. I rarely ate regular meals. I would snack a bit throughout the day and then eat dinner with the family. And I was busy...super busy. Multiple jobs that kept me on my feet, school. The weight crept up when I got a desk job and started eating out of boredom. I still struggle with boredom eating. I'll sit here thinking...I'm not even hungry...why am I eating this??