Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Good low calorie butter substitute?

My daily calorie goal is set pretty low, so 100 calories per serving of butter can really suck (though I only have it with toast in the morning, and sometimes at dinner).

Do you guys have any recommendations for substitutes, or low calorie butters?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    There is no substitute. Some people will go for margarine, but I prefer the taste of actual butter and actually switched to it not long after I started losing weight. I've also found that half a serving is good for one slice of bread/toast.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Any of your "light" butter flavored spreads are either whipped or they pack a lot of water.

Water on toast.....yuck, and for the whipped varieties they may help you use less.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Benecol, Smart Balance, or Country Crock spread
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    The spray-on kind can give you some butter flavor with very few calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    The spray-on kind can give you some butter flavor with very few calories.

Pretty decent...........I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray in the refrigerated section......no weird aerosol taste.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    I get butterbuds for putting in mash/baked potatoes/veggies/soups etc and I use lurpak lightest for toast.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Butterbuds 8kcal/sachet

Butter = approx 750kcal/100g
    Lurpak lightest = 377kcal/100g
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Nutbutter on toast might be a better use of calories for the nutrition. Still higher calories, but you get some protein and other nutrients.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If I am having toast in the morning, it is because I'm having eggs. When I am cutting calories, I find that soft boiled eggs on toast are a good option. The egg on the toast tastes good without butter.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    If I am having toast in the morning, it is because I'm having eggs. When I am cutting calories, I find that soft boiled eggs on toast are a good option. The egg on the toast tastes good without butter.

^^^^ Totally this! Yum!
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Butters good depending on how much you use. i would stick with the real thing rather then low fat options. margarine gives you a different taste lol. i only use butter to cook my morning scrambled eggs and then coconut oil for fish and meat and other thing foods.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Wife can't have butter so it's not usually in the house. She buys Earth Balance. It's not bad and actually works on popcorn.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Real butter, it doesn't take much to impart that buttery goodness on whatever you're putting it on.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2017
    kbs4111 wrote: »
    My daily calorie goal is set pretty low, so 100 calories per serving of butter can really suck (though I only have it with toast in the morning, and sometimes at dinner).

Do you guys have any recommendations for substitutes, or low calorie butters?
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Real butter, it doesn't take much to impart that buttery goodness on whatever you're putting it on.

I use Earth Balance Olive Oil Spread, but I don't think I'd call that a substitute I simply like the taste of the product. I use Regular butter as well but I don't use tons of it so don't really notice the cals being high. I use Earth Balance products because I love the taste of them, they also have Earth Balance Olive Oil Mayo usually found in the cooler section as well.

• kbs4111
    kbs4111 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for all the replies!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I used the Land O Lakes whipped butter. Still butter, more air and water mixed in.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I often skip the butter if I'm eating my toast with eggs. But really there is no replacement for butter. I just use less than I used to.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,014 Member
    I light light laughing cow cheese on bread or toast, so long as it won't screw with the other flavours.