Good low calorie butter substitute?

Options
My daily calorie goal is set pretty low, so 100 calories per serving of butter can really suck (though I only have it with toast in the morning, and sometimes at dinner).

Do you guys have any recommendations for substitutes, or low calorie butters?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute. Some people will go for margarine, but I prefer the taste of actual butter and actually switched to it not long after I started losing weight. I've also found that half a serving is good for one slice of bread/toast.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Any of your "light" butter flavored spreads are either whipped or they pack a lot of water.

Water on toast.....yuck, and for the whipped varieties they may help you use less.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Benecol, Smart Balance, or Country Crock spread
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The spray-on kind can give you some butter flavor with very few calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    The spray-on kind can give you some butter flavor with very few calories.

Pretty decent...........I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray in the refrigerated section......no weird aerosol taste.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I get butterbuds for putting in mash/baked potatoes/veggies/soups etc and I use lurpak lightest for toast.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Butterbuds 8kcal/sachet

Butter = approx 750kcal/100g
    Lurpak lightest = 377kcal/100g
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Nutbutter on toast might be a better use of calories for the nutrition. Still higher calories, but you get some protein and other nutrients.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I am having toast in the morning, it is because I'm having eggs. When I am cutting calories, I find that soft boiled eggs on toast are a good option. The egg on the toast tastes good without butter.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If I am having toast in the morning, it is because I'm having eggs. When I am cutting calories, I find that soft boiled eggs on toast are a good option. The egg on the toast tastes good without butter.

^^^^ Totally this! Yum!
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Butters good depending on how much you use. i would stick with the real thing rather then low fat options. margarine gives you a different taste lol. i only use butter to cook my morning scrambled eggs and then coconut oil for fish and meat and other thing foods.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Wife can't have butter so it's not usually in the house. She buys Earth Balance. It's not bad and actually works on popcorn.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Real butter, it doesn't take much to impart that buttery goodness on whatever you're putting it on.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kbs4111 wrote: »
    My daily calorie goal is set pretty low, so 100 calories per serving of butter can really suck (though I only have it with toast in the morning, and sometimes at dinner).

Do you guys have any recommendations for substitutes, or low calorie butters?
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Real butter, it doesn't take much to impart that buttery goodness on whatever you're putting it on.

I use Earth Balance Olive Oil Spread, but I don't think I'd call that a substitute I simply like the taste of the product. I use Regular butter as well but I don't use tons of it so don't really notice the cals being high. I use Earth Balance products because I love the taste of them, they also have Earth Balance Olive Oil Mayo usually found in the cooler section as well.

• kbs4111
    kbs4111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I used the Land O Lakes whipped butter. Still butter, more air and water mixed in.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I often skip the butter if I'm eating my toast with eggs. But really there is no replacement for butter. I just use less than I used to.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I light light laughing cow cheese on bread or toast, so long as it won't screw with the other flavours.