Do you refrigerate butter?

Options
Yes or no, and why?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, or it ends up liquid. It doesn't occur to me not to. I don't use enough to stop it going rancid if I didn't.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Yes, because it will get moldy if not used within a certain period...and it is after all a dairy product and should be refrigerated.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes.. otherwise it'd be all soft and runny!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yes but don't use a lot of butter. If I did I'd leave it out
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    No we leave it in the cabinet. We hardly ever use it but it always tastes delicious when we do. Keeps it soft and no it doesn't melt.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's in the cupboard, once I've unwrapped a bar (the original box is kept in the fridge). Real butter, not margarine. I've never had a problem unless someone leaves crumbs behind, then it might mold. I hate hard butter! ;)

I agree with all of this <3
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    We don't use it all that often. It's pretty rare. In fact, I keep it in the freezer in a ziploc so it doesn't absorb flavors and just grate what I need for recipes.

I tend to use olive oil more often.

If we used butter frequently, I likely wouldn't refrigerate it. My mother never did.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I use Earth Balance vegan butter and its in a square little tub. I keep it in the fridge it spreads pretty easy even when cold.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. We have a bit out in a covered container and the rest is refrigerated until needed. We have out the amount we will use in a couple of days. Our kitchen is warm enough for it to be soft enough to spread but not melty. I've never had a problem with it going bad or getting moldy in that time period.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes, but a stick of butter lasts us more than 2-3 months so it would go rancid. Plus it gets hotter than the melting point of butter in the summer and the last thing I want to do in that heat is to clean greasy counters.
  • lemonaid7
    lemonaid7 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No, I live in Canada stays pretty firm on the counter
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Nope. Well, actually yes and no. When I buy a pound of butter, 3 sticks stay in the fridge, one stays on the counter in a covered butter dish. Never ever ever have had a problem with it. Never gets hot enough here to be runny; always the perfect spreadable softness. My parents did the same thing, as did their parents before them. Never got moldy, never went rancid. Always pure deliciousness for our toast, muffins, and bread.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many use real butter?

Some is out and some is in the fridge at our house. Real butter. Never oleo. Never any problems leaving it out.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Nope, especially not in the winter as our house hovers around 63 degrees. When it gets hot in the summer I am more inclined to refrigerate it, and of course all the not-in-use butter is either in the fridge or the freezer.

I have never in my life seen a stick of moldy butter. Under what conditions does this happen?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Nope, especially not in the winter as our house hovers around 63 degrees. When it gets hot in the summer I am more inclined to refrigerate it, and of course all the not-in-use butter is either in the fridge or the freezer.

I have never in my life seen a stick of moldy butter. Under what conditions does this happen?

Me neither. Just jelly :wink: