Do you refrigerate butter?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I wonder how many use real butter?

Some is out and some is in the fridge at our house. Real butter. Never oleo. Never any problems leaving it out.

Real salted butter here. No problems.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Nope, especially not in the winter as our house hovers around 63 degrees. When it gets hot in the summer I am more inclined to refrigerate it, and of course all the not-in-use butter is either in the fridge or the freezer.

I have never in my life seen a stick of moldy butter. Under what conditions does this happen?

I had moldy butter after it was sitting unopened in the fridge for 6 months. Peeled back the foil wrapping and green.

I only use butter for baking shortbread or other cookies that require butter. Otherwise I use margarine. I have Becel and Parkay spreadable margarines for sammiches and toast. I always keep it in the fridge.

I too have learned something new and exciting on the debate thread. :# I have had many an item go fuzzy in the fridge but never butter. Duly noted!
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Nope, especially not in the winter as our house hovers around 63 degrees. When it gets hot in the summer I am more inclined to refrigerate it, and of course all the not-in-use butter is either in the fridge or the freezer.

I have never in my life seen a stick of moldy butter. Under what conditions does this happen?

I had moldy butter after it was sitting unopened in the fridge for 6 months. Peeled back the foil wrapping and green.

I only use butter for baking shortbread or other cookies that require butter. Otherwise I use margarine. I have Becel and Parkay spreadable margarines for sammiches and toast. I always keep it in the fridge.

You know what...I bet you are using unsalted butter, which does go funky quickly. I remember on a bread thread you were lamenting your lost love of bread due to the salt. Definitely fridge!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I live in the Caribbean and have always kept butter in the fridge. My wife grew up in England and never did. Most amazing thing to see that when I went up there!!

Quick Google lookup shows our current temperature is 74 F at 10:00pm, while the temperature right now in her old home is 38 F. (That's 23 C and 3 C in metric.) I guess you can see the difference for that butter on the counter top.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    We keep a stick in the covered butter dish on the counter and the rest in the fridge. Never had a problem with it going bad. We also don't refrigerate eggs if we only buy a dozen (we go through a dozen every 4 days of so).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    We keep a stick in the covered butter dish on the counter and the rest in the fridge. Never had a problem with it going bad. We also don't refrigerate eggs if we only buy a dozen (we go through a dozen every 4 days of so).

We had chickens a few years back. Ya no reason to refrigerate them. Think I read some where that we in the US refrigerate them, but many places don't.

Whaddya say OP? Interested in refrigerated eggs?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I keep the butter in the fridge, because I don't go through it fast enough to keep it from going rancid at room temperature (unless I'm using it in baking, and then I bring it out if it needs to be softened for the recipe). Mostly I use it when I fry eggs, and it works fine from the refrigerator for that purpose. I'll put it on potatoes and winter squash, but the veggies are hot when the butter goes on, so once again, it works fine from the refrigerator.

When I bake a loaf of bread, I'll leave a stick of butter out until the loaf is finished off. Sometimes I'll buy butter & olive oil combo spread, that's somewhat soft even straight from the refrigerator, and softens faster than straight butter when you take it out. I keep meaning to try making my own butter & olive oil spread.

When I was growing up we ate margarine (affordability + supposed health benefits, before we knew about the evils of trans fats), and we always had a stick of butter out of the refrigerator -- but it was a large family, and toast was a pretty regular part of breakfast, and bread was served with most dinners, so I doubt a stick lasted more than three days. I'm pretty sure my mother bought a pound of margarine most weeks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

We had chickens a few years back. Ya no reason to refrigerate them. Think I read some where that we in the US refrigerate them, but many places don't.

Even the supermarkets don't tend to refrigerate there over here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have always kept butter in the fridge. If i'm planning on having a sandwich i just take it out 30 minutes before so i don't rip my bread to pieces trying to spread it.
    It's summer here now, if i left it out it would be in puddle form by the end of the day.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I saw a documentary about eggs. The US requires that the exterior of eggs are cleaned/treated in such a way that a protective coating is removed from the egg and refrigeration is legally mandated. Other countries don't require that treatment and it's sometimes legally mandated that companies don't refrigerate them. It all depends upon where you live.

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Yes and no. We have a bit out in a covered container and the rest is refrigerated until needed. We have out the amount we will use in a couple of days. Our kitchen is warm enough for it to be soft enough to spread but not melty. I've never had a problem with it going bad or getting moldy in that time period.

Yup. This.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

I saw a documentary about eggs. The US requires that the exterior of eggs are cleaned/treated in such a way that a protective coating is removed from the egg and refrigeration is legally mandated. Other countries don't require that treatment and it's sometimes legally mandated that companies don't refrigerate them. It all depends upon where you live.

Huh, that's interesting! I've wondered. The place I get my eggs from, they often still have some poop on the shell so I'm guessing they're not removing much!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Huh, that's interesting! I've wondered. The place I get my eggs from, they often still have some poop on the shell so I'm guessing they're not removing much!!

All the eggs in the supermarkets here are in the fridge section. I buy mine fresh from the farm and they store theirs in a fridge too.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insights. I grew up with refrigerated margarine, because butter was the devil in the 80'/90's, then switched to butter as an adult and never even considered leaving it out of the fridge. Like an earlier comment, it's dairy so of course it's refrigerated or it will spoil.

Then a few years ago I heard somewhere that butter didn't need refrigerated and decided to give it a try. I lived in Las Vegas at the time and experienced the too soft butter problem. It is normal in that climate to set the AC 78-85 F to save energy. When I left butter out to soften I had to stick a thermometer with an alarm in it to make sure I didn't end up with runny cookies.

I live somewhere cooler now. My thermostat is currently set between 60-66 F and our winters are long. I've had a stick of butter in a sealed glass dish all day and it is still pretty hard, but softer than from the fridge. I buy 4 lbs of butter at a time from Costco, so I will try the leave leave the wrapped butter in the fridge and the open butter on the counter method. My husband likes to snack on bread and butter and I frequently cook and bake with it, so I think we will be able to go through that pound in a couple of weeks. If it spoils I'll try cutting off a smaller chunk to leave out.

Do feel free to start a refrigerated egg thread. I'm sure it will be just as interesting as this one, and hopefully as wonderfully civil as well.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

I dearly love that you watched a documentary about eggs. <3

For other lovers of all things egg, here is a clip on egg preservation by a fella who owns a business outfitting historic reenactors and teaching them old timey skills. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYgguMz1qI
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Fridge for three reasons - I grew up with it always in the fridge, I don't use it that much so it would go bad, and if I left it out on the counter, even covered, the cats would knock it down and eat it (because on holidays when I have put it out to be soft for dinner they have done that - like knocked the whole butter dish off the counter- I now hide it in the microwave until we actually are sitting down to dinner).
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

This is what I have heard as well. If I get eggs from a friend they don't need to be refrigerated, but the grocery store eggs are required to be washed because all commercial chicken products in the US are considered to be contaminated by salmonella. Other countries may not have to wash their eggs because salmonella is not universal in their chicken populations.
  • Aint_Misbehavin
    Aint_Misbehavin Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Butter does not need to be refrigerated. I have always kept the butter dish in the cupboard and have never had it go bad. I've had it melt when we lost ac and the temp in the house got up over 95, but otherwise it's fine. And I had chickens for years and the eggs (unwashed) could be kept in the pantry for months. Once washed they went into the fridge.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    lemonaid7 wrote: »
    No, I live in Canada stays pretty firm on the counter
    Me too. Look at the temperatures we had in Calgary this week. Not a problem keeping butter cold! ;)
    z4k3zf6xb4bd.jpg

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Certainly do. It's a pretty mild day today at 33c, but we had a few days around 40c last week and the butter would be disgusting in minutes. In winter I probably could leave it out - we don't have much in the way of heating so it would probably be OK, but even then, I don't see the need.