Do you refrigerate butter?

Options

Replies

• ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Only in fridge though sometimes I try to get it out ahead of time to warm a bit. I have experimented with keeping it out various times in my life, and what happens most often is I use WAY MORE, because it's very handy and so easy to use. Butter is a weakness for me, so it's better if it's out of sight. I am trying whipped now to make measuring small amounts easier, but if it's too easy to use, that will be a fail, too lol.
    In Florida, it's easy for things to get too warm and moldy if they sit out. I can keep bread on the counter for a week or two in the winter, but in the summer, it can go moldy in about 3 days if it's left on the counter (in the bag).
  • jayeless
    jayeless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I definitely refrigerate butter - it wouldn't have occurred to me not to, due to being dairy and prone to melt. I also refrigerate my eggs, seeing as fridges generally come with special egg-holders and it'd be a waste not to use them. (Also, it was what my parents always did.)

Then again, I'm also an Australian who lives without air conditioning, and even my parents' house only had AC in two bedrooms (not mine). In the summer we have to refrigerate chocolate too :tongue:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Speaking of eggs, I don't have to refrigerate them (ours are not washed or treated), but I like to anyway. They hold together better for sunny side up and poaching when refrigerated.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    No to winter, summer yes.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i refridgerate everything. Even things that done need to be/shouldnt be. I dont like food out.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As a kid, we never did, but I don't use that much, anymore, and I mostly use the spreadable butter (with olive oil in it), these days, so it's soft without being left out. We did keep it in the fridge during the summer, though, because we didn't have AC and we lived in the desert, where it would get up in the 100s, meaning butter puddles.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    jayeless wrote: »
    I definitely refrigerate butter - it wouldn't have occurred to me not to, due to being dairy and prone to melt. I also refrigerate my eggs, seeing as fridges generally come with special egg-holders and it'd be a waste not to use them. (Also, it was what my parents always did.)

Then again, I'm also an Australian who lives without air conditioning, and even my parents' house only had AC in two bedrooms (not mine). In the summer we have to refrigerate chocolate too :tongue:

Actually, for food safety, it is recommended that you don't store eggs in the refrigerator door.

I refer you to the Egg Farmers of Canada.
    http://www.eggs.ca/eggs101/view/39/egg-storage-freshness-and-food-safety

• onsickmom
    onsickmom Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I set it out if I'm gonna be baking or something....But store all dairy products inside the fridge
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I buy my butter at Costco and this is how it goes in my house:
    - Kept in Freezer until ready for fridge
    - 1 box is kept in fridge
    - 1 stick is kept in butter dish on counter
    and then I move them as needed. So, when my fridge butter starts to run low, I grab a box from freezer.

I always have a stick on the counter. I like my butter to be spreadable, so I have to have some ready to go at all times.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone around here (MD) leave butter on the counter.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I went to a friends house today...and surprise...they don't refrigerate butter.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I keep some in the fridge and some in a glass container with a lid (keeps out dog hair or bugs) on the stove top. It is rarely so hot that the butter melts here. The house is usually 17C but will go up to 25C on our hottest days. At those temps it is just nicely spreadable.

And butter NEVER goes bad here, We go through more than one block per week. LOL
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Depends on room temperature and how fast it gets used. In summer, it will melt if left out. In winter, it's fine. If used sparingly, it will eventually mold (possibly due to cross-contamination where untouched butter might have been fine) or go bad if left out (but that will take a while). (Salted butter. Unsalted butter may act differently).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I do. It's what my mom did so I never really considered doing otherwise. I keep a mix of butter and olive oil in the fridge for easy spreading. I don't use much butter and only use stick butter occasionally for cooking.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i refridgerate everything. Even things that done need to be/shouldnt be. I dont like food out.

That's pretty much me. I have all sorts of things hanging out in the fridge.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I refrigerate, but only because I go through butter so slowly. I eat it on toast once in awhile and it takes me six months to get through a tub of whipped butter. And I only use sticks for baking so may as well keep them in the fridge as many recipes call for cold butter.
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I keep mine in the fridge, but I get it out and put it on the counter about an hour before I'm going to use it so it will soften up.
  • FitBitFitter
    FitBitFitter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I keep one stick out, in a glass butter boat and the rest goes in the fridge, until the boat needs a refill.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    One stick out in a butter boat. (Covered because otherwise the cat thinks it's for her).

The rest in the fridge, unless a recipe calls for room-temperature butter; then it goes into a cat-proof cupboard until it's ready to use.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have a covered butter dish that is left out on the counter. Land o'Lakes has butter wrapped in 4 TBSP with 8 in a 1pound box. I keep the rest of the pound refrigerated.
    One stick out in a butter boat. (Covered because otherwise the cat thinks it's for her).

The rest in the fridge, unless a recipe calls for room-temperature butter; then it goes into a cat-proof cupboard until it's ready to use.

LOL, I hear you about the cat-proof cupboard :smile: My dd's cat has been know to get up on top of the refrigerator to get goodies.