New to IIFYM

Options
Hey! Not sure where to start so go easy on me. Mom of 5 ages 8,5,4 and twins 13 months. Started working out last February and last April started watching what I ate. Come august/ September started lifting husbands weights and not until about a couple weeks ago started heavier. Just started this week with IIFYM I have a online coach(not sure how good she is

Replies

• Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Where the heck is the rest of my message
  • Famof72015
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OK I guess I will write what I just wrote using my voice recorder. Currently I do 65 pound benchpress squats straight leg dad left 10 pound chest flies cable machine benchpress lat pulldown's leg curls 10 pound bicep curl that I do 25 minute hiit sessions Monday Wednesday and Fridays Tuesday Thursday Saturday I do my weight lifting workouts then I run 2 miles afterwords and I do ab work out four days a week before I was 12 to 1400 cal now I'm around 1600 cal 130 g of protein 52 g of fat 170 g of carbohydrate question is I just don't want to gain weight on this but lose fat and get around 120 is there other people that are doing this any tips advice ? How many weeks to see progress? I'm currently between 125-128
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, then you want a small deficit. Your macros seem pretty good. I would recommend getting on a structure lifting program to help maximize results. At some point, you might need more equipment, but in the below link, there are some free weight programs that can help.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Thank you! I am getting the mini band hip circle and my online coach did give me her suggested work out plan but I'm so used to full body workout as opposed to split body?? Does everyone do full body or split?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    Thank you! I am getting the mini band hip circle and my online coach did give me her suggested work out plan but I'm so used to full body workout as opposed to split body?? Does everyone do full body or split?

It varies based on personal preference, ability to recover and goals. I do a 4 day split because 3 days can be a bit taxing and I struggle to adequately recover. If you want to post your trainers program, we can provide some feedback.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Day 1
    Lower body
    3 sets
    1. Barbell Squats x 12
    2. Barbell straight leg deadlifts x 12
    3. Barbell hip thrusts x 12
    4. Single leg bench/chair squat x 12 each (stand on one leg put other leg out in front of you and sit)
    5. Place mini band at knees, single leg hip thrusts x 12 each
    6. Large fitness ball (stability plastic ball) hamstring pull ins x 12
    7. Mini band at knees, bridge then open and close hips x 20
    8. Barbell standing calf raises x 12

Day 2
    Upper body - Back, chest, and abs
    3 sets
    1. Romanian deadlift x 12
    2. DB bent over row x 12
    3. Single arm cable lat pull down x 12
    4. DB flat chest press x 12
    5. DB chest fly x 12
    6. DB pull overs x 12
    7. Weighted crunch x 10
    8. Bicycle crunch x 20
    9. Plank x 30 seconds
    10. Leg raises off floor hold x 3 seconds x 10

Day 3
    Lower body
    3 sets
    1. DB goblet squats x 12
    2. DB single leg deadlifts x 12 each
    3. Band at knees and squat x 20
    4. DB walking lunges x 12 steps each foot
    5. Band at knees, side walking squats x 10 each direction
    6. Mini band at knees fire hydrants x 12 each leg
    7. Resistance band or cable pull trough thrusts x 20
    8. Prone glute extensions x 12 each leg (lye on stomach and drive leg up behind you)

Day 4
    Upper body - Shoulders, arms, abs
    3 sets
    1. DB seated overhead press x 12
    2. DB side raises x 12
    3. DB front raises x 12
    4. DB rear raises x 12
    5. DB hammer curls x 12
    6. Barbell curls x 12
    7. Cable pushdowns x 12
    8. Cable overhead extensions x 12 each
    9. Cable kickbacks x 12
    10. Low cable curls x 12 each
    11. Standing cable crunch x 10
    12. Toe taps x 20
    13. Russian weighted twists x 10 each side
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Macros seem pretty good. Protein may be a bit higher than what I usually recommend, but I'd stick with it for a month and see what results you get. If you are going in the right direction then stick with it. You are close to your goal so you should only lost 0.25-.5 pounds per week. Don't rely on the scale for results. Take pictures and measurements. What I found with IIFYM and weight training is not so much the number on the scale, but the inches lost are far more impressive. Good luck!
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Also you think smaller than 1600 calories? I'm 5'6 again between 125-128. I have no clue, I should trust she is knows what she is doing but I really don't know I just don't feel like those workouts are going to work my thighs, glutes, chest, shoulders lol basically everything! And I don't want to gain weight trying this. I'm just so used to counting calories and working out even though I am doing IIF YM I'm still not indulging in what we considered "junk"food
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Day 1
    Lower body
    3 sets
    1. Barbell Squats x 12
    4. Single leg bench/chair squat x 12 each (stand on one leg put other leg out in front of you and sit)

Day 2
    3 sets
    2. DB bent over row x 12
    5. DB chest fly x 12
    6. DB pull overs x 12
    7. Weighted crunch x 10
    8. Bicycle crunch x 20
    9. Plank x 30 seconds

Day 3
    Lower body
    3 sets
    1. DB goblet squats x 12
    8. Prone glute extensions x 12 each leg (lye on stomach and drive leg up behind you)

Day 4
    3 sets
    2. DB side raises x 12
    3. DB front raises x 12
    4. DB rear raises x 12
    5. DB hammer curls x 12
    6. Barbell curls x 12
    7. Cable pushdowns x 12
    9. Cable kickbacks x 12
    12. Toe taps x 20

How long are your workouts? That is a crap ton of volume. I would also have incorporated some periodization/undulation to work within a variety rep ranges (this way you are working both type 1/type 2 muscle fibers), with a large focus on the big 4 (OHP, Chest Press, Squat and DL) in the lower rep range.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Also you think smaller than 1600 calories? I'm 5'6 again between 125-128. I have no clue, I should trust she is knows what she is doing but I really don't know I just don't feel like those workouts are going to work my thighs, glutes, chest, shoulders lol basically everything! And I don't want to gain weight trying this. I'm just so used to counting calories and working out even though I am doing IIF YM I'm still not indulging in what we considered "junk"food

Start with 1600. IF you are seeing downward movement after 4 weeks, decrease intake by 250 calories. But 1600 (pending you are using a food scale and logging daily) should be a good range for most women working out. And if you are lucky enough to gain some muscle, you should be happy. Muscle is hard to come by and it is what makes you lean and slim.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Well I haven't been following this exactly
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well I haven't been following this exactly

So is your goal just to lose a little weight and "tone up" a bit? Do you have other goals outside of that?
  • Famof72015
    Options
    I have been doing my own thing pretty much as what I previously stated but I have no idea what you're talking about against type one type two periodization and undulation I have no idea what any of this means
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I have been doing my own thing pretty much as what I previously stated but I have no idea what you're talking about against type one type two periodization and undulation I have no idea what any of this means

https://www.muscleforlife.com/reverse-pyramid-training-workout/

Here is a good article on periodization. Basically working in a variety of rep ranges.

http://www.jmaxfitness.com/blog/daily-undulating-periodization/

Here is a good article on undulating periodization. Basically working with a variety of set/rep schemes.

Sorry if it was a bit technical.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So since you have an online coach, you can definitely try to work with them. It's possible they have reason for you to follow that program. If you don't like them, you can also hit up people like @SideSteel or use a services like avatar nutrition.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Day 1
    Lower body
    3 sets
    1. Barbell Squats x 12

Day 2
    3 sets
    2. DB bent over row x 12
    5. DB chest fly x 12
    6. DB pull overs x 12
    7. Weighted crunch x 10
    8. Bicycle crunch x 20
    9. Plank x 30 seconds

Day 3
    Lower body
    3 sets
    1. DB goblet squats x 12

Day 4
    3 sets
    2. DB side raises x 12
    3. DB front raises x 12
    4. DB rear raises x 12
    5. DB hammer curls x 12
    6. Barbell curls x 12
    7. Cable pushdowns x 12
    9. Cable kickbacks x 12
    12. Toe taps x 20

If you are new to this you may develop overuse with the amount of reps and sets. This seems a bit extreme and would also take at least 1.5 to 2 hours to complete each day. Why so much?
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Yes my goal is to get lean and build muscle. Idk this is just what she gave me. I will give this the 4 weeks and go from there. I never heard of avatar nutrition or sidesteel.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes my goal is to get lean and build muscle. Idk this is just what she gave me. I will give this the 4 weeks and go from there. I never heard of avatar nutrition or sidesteel.

This is a good group to be a part of. Avatar nutrition is a group co-run Dr. Layne Norton. A very successful powerlifter, bodybuilder and researcher.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    reads like the coach has given you specific workouts for a reason - not sure what you asked them for when it came to them?

your protein is slightly above mine - I take in 125(ish) a day, i'm 5'2", 153 and focusing on recomp