"I want to get in shape, unless it requires effort..."

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    I always get asked for recipes and actually made a recipe book for Xmas which detailed the calories for each dish just because people seem to think that "healthy" can't mean nice? ! I love feeding people super delicious meals that are low calorie. Also people think that "healthy" food and "diet" food are the same thing, a short term change. It's hard to explain to people I dont eat "healthy" as they see it.... I just eat!!!! Just because it's not "junk" food for every meal doesn't make it bland, boring or a specific diet. It's just real food. That doesn't equate lots of effort any more than their food does!

My MIL thinks I don't eat desserts anymore.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    my sister is the same way,she tells me" I cant do what you do" I said what count calories,weigh your food and get exercise in? she thinks Im on some restrictive diet when I tell her I still eat things I like,I just dont overdo it, she says" I just love food too much".yet she is always crying and whining about being fat(her words not mine). she will also do whatever it is she does to lose some weight then she goes right back to gaining it back and then some. I told her it gets easier once you do it for awhile and its not as hard as it sounds. I guess she just isnt ready.

My sister said those exact words to me. She used to be a Weight Watchers leader. She understands how weight loss works, but I guess deep down, she's just not willing to eat less and is convinced that there's some way to hack her body now.

She's doing some weird food combining thing that tries to make you think you can eat as much as you want as long as you eat it in the right combination.
  • jazzyspender
    jazzyspender Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wait a sec...I'm just jealous that you have a gym at work!!

I'm certain I've been "that guy" who is waiting for the miracle answer...how can I EASILY look like you?! lol I'm doing it now I'm sure...how can I EASILY integrate exercise in my busy day? Someone please wake me up every morning, push me out the door and make me run or something, then bring me to work...see that's the kind of answer I'm looking for :wink:

At least you are nice and tell him the truth, maybe one day he'll try it.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Assuming this guy is going to the gym and actually working out, he is putting effort into fitness. Also, on the same assumption, he is probably somewhat fit, what he is not, I am guessing, is thin. There is a difference between thin and fit, and one is not required for the other. I agree it's weird he keeps asking though.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    I remember when I was on the other side of this and I didn't want to change.

It seemed too hard and when I'd lost weight before I restricted myself terribly and the idea of doing that again for however long was depressing.

Eventually, I realized losing weight doesn't have to be this horrible thing. I think a lot of overweight/obese people live under this false assumption that in order to lose the weight they have to eat 'clean'.

Actually the guy who asked me isn't really in bad shape, he lifts and does cardio regularly. He is just nearing 50 and has lost his "edge" (as he put it) - he said his wife misses his 6 pack, lol. It really wouldn't take a lot of effort for him to drop 10-15 lbs if he was willing to do it gradually between now and the spring/summer, just a small caloric deficit every day.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I think those actually tend to be the real stumbling blocks for people which derail them. The "eat less, move more" is great in theory, what many people are looking for is someone to help them look at their individual situation and figure out how to implement it. Unfortunately, I think that often gets read as "they don't want it badly enough." It takes some people longer to process everything and be able to see it in a way that is possible in their lives. I figure if people are asking questions, it's because they are trying to learn more and make a change, and that's a good thing.

I felt like he lost interest when my solution required him to do something different. He wasn’t like “how do you track calories?”, “how big of a deficit do I need to have each day/week?”, “how long do you think it would take me to lose X pounds?”, there was no real follow up. He disengaged after I told him my “secret”, it was almost like he felt he had committed to making an effort to reach out to me, heard something that he didn’t feel was worth attempting, and then moved on. He is an extremely bright guy (I have had work dealings with him over the years) and could easily crunch the numbers if he decided that was what he wanted to do.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my sister is the same way,she tells me" I cant do what you do" I said what count calories,weigh your food and get exercise in? she thinks Im on some restrictive diet when I tell her I still eat things I like,I just dont overdo it, she says" I just love food too much".yet she is always crying and whining about being fat(her words not mine). she will also do whatever it is she does to lose some weight then she goes right back to gaining it back and then some. I told her it gets easier once you do it for awhile and its not as hard as it sounds. I guess she just isnt ready.

My sister said those exact words to me. She used to be a Weight Watchers leader. She understands how weight loss works, but I guess deep down, she's just not willing to eat less and is convinced that there's some way to hack her body now.

She's doing some weird food combining thing that tries to make you think you can eat as much as you want as long as you eat it in the right combination.

the funny thing is she will ask me time and time again how to lose it. i tell her and its like" I cant do that I dont have time" if you have time to run the roads you have time to workout lol.for her though she would start losing weight and not see the results(mainly her belly fat) she wanted and give up. her issue is she needs surgery because she has muscle separation where she had kids but hers goes both ways(up and down and side to side separation). drs told her its bad enough she would need surgery. so she just decided if she cant lose the belly then its not worth it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    How many of us were that person at one point though?
    It took me 15 years of trying to lose weight to just start counting calories. I was resistant and confused. I tried lots of other things. I did think it would be too annoying or time consuming probably because so many diets and programs promise big quick results. I was wrong. Calorie counting is the easiest, safest thing I've done for weight loss and the most effective. I even prelog my whole day of meals every morning in under 15 minutes.
    Hopefully that guy will actually give it a try someday. I'm sure glad I did.

I was not really that other person though. the last few times I lost weight I didnt even try,but I always gained it back and that was before I understood why. Then I became proactive about losing the weight,I got tired of being out of breath,no stamina,etc. so I said enough is enough.I am not a person who would "diet" to lose weight. this is the first time I really have "dieted" to lose the weight.This time I am really making the effort. before I didnt really have to think about it or even log/weigh food.I never did WW/NS/etc or any fad diet out there.